Question about Offensive Play Calling

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I had the apparent blessing of not watching the game or hearing it (was in Baton Rouge for LSU-Bama game where the tailgating started at 10AM)...so all I have done is read some of the message boards and read the stat sheet.

I have heard Justin was hurt in the game (good luck to Justin, he is one of the gamers on that team!). But I also noted that no other QB's threw a pass. So, when did Justin get hurt, and why did we not throw passes afterward? I mean we were obviously far behind by then (what, 41-20 I am guessing?), but don't you usually throw more when you're behind? Or did the coaches give up on this game?

If CPJ has no confidence in his backup QB to come in a run a full and complete offensive package, that says A LOT to me about CPJ. And leaves me with zero confidence for the future of this football program.

(On a side note, you have NO IDEA how thrilling it was to watch good defenses in action like I saw in Tiger Stadium last night! It reaffirmed that the NCAA had not outlawed 3 and outs or made defending aggressively illegal. For three quarters, an entire stadium of 100,000+ rabid Tiger fans thought they could win, even though they had barely 100 yards in total offense over that three quarter stretch. You actually felt that if you did not throw the other team for negative yardage that something was wrong. Just an amazing contrast to GT football in so many ways.)

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I had the apparent blessing of not watching the game or hearing it (was in Baton Rouge for LSU-Bama game where the tailgating started at 10AM)...so all I have done is read some of the message boards and read the stat sheet.

I have heard Justin was hurt in the game (good luck to Justin, he is one of the gamers on that team!). But I also noted that no other QB's threw a pass. So, when did Justin get hurt, and why did we not throw passes afterward? I mean we were obviously far behind by then (what, 41-20 I am guessing?), but don't you usually throw more when you're behind? Or did the coaches give up on this game?

If CPJ has no confidence in his backup QB to come in a run a full and complete offensive package, that says A LOT to me about CPJ. And leaves me with zero confidence for the future of this football program.

(On a side note, you have NO IDEA how thrilling it was to watch good defenses in action like I saw in Tiger Stadium last night! It reaffirmed that the NCAA had not outlawed 3 and outs or made defending aggressively illegal. For three quarters, an entire stadium of 100,000+ rabid Tiger fans thought they could win, even though they had barely 100 yards in total offense over that three quarter stretch. You actually felt that if you did not throw the other team for negative yardage that something was wrong. Just an amazing contrast to GT football in so many ways.)

In short, yes he gave up. We did get to see a lot of midline though.

From where I was sitting in Keenan Stadium it seemed like he was just trying to run the clock out to get the game over with after Justin got hurt.

It looked like his game plan coming out of the half was to run the clock to keep our defense off the field. Between sputtering in the red zone and the turnovers it was clear that game plan needed to be changed to keep up, but it never was.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

To answer your first question - JeT was injured with 1:40 to go in the 3rd (41-20 at that time at the GT46) We were driving so MJ continued the drive down to the UNC14 when there was a bad mesh with Mills , who was running hard up till then, at about 12 minutes left in the half. Up to then the team or the coaches had not given up IMHO. Then, all it took was 4 plays, 53 seconds, for UNC to go 87 yards for the final score. At that time, PJ in IMHO was just trying to run clock so they could get out of the D hurt and we did a pretty good job at it when we took the ball down to the NC17 and got stuffed on a 4th and 1.

Agree on your side note 110%. But knowing GT fans if we were in that game they would say it was our O that cost us the game and would come completely down on the coaching staff and players and call for all kinds of weird stuff to happen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I loved watching that game. My nephews went to Bama and nieces to LSU. Talk about divided loyalties ... good for you attending!