Question about cell phone etiquette

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
so today I was in a medical waiting room waiting for my spouse to have some minor medical procedure. (Of course) she was admitted 1-1/2 hour past her scheduled time so I spent the better part of the afternoon sitting there waiting. In the meantime, I sat there and witnessed (and was forced to endure) several phone conversations. It was somewhat uncomfortable for me as it felt like I was eavesdropping although the other parties didn't seem to mind.

If I receive a call while in a public setting, I always ask to return the call or recuse myself to a private area. Seems like it is better for me and respectful to those around me. IS there a common definition of protocol around this issue? I am curious as to what others may think about this topic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
so today I was in a medical waiting room waiting for my spouse to have some minor medical procedure. (Of course) she was admitted 1-1/2 hour past her scheduled time so I spent the better part of the afternoon sitting there waiting. In the meantime, I sat there and witnessed (and was forced to endure) several phone conversations. It was somewhat uncomfortable for me as it felt like I was eavesdropping although the other parties didn't seem to mind.

If I receive a call while in a public setting, I always ask to return the call or recuse myself to a private area. Seems like it is better for me and respectful to those around me. IS there a common definition of protocol around this issue? I am curious as to what others may think about this topic.
For me it depends. In a place like a medical waiting room, I would typically not accept calls unless it was for work or an emergency. I would text back and forth to provide updates to people, etc. If it was an actual emergency, I would probably deal with it as the gravity dictated. For a work call, I would probably leave the waiting room and complete the conversation outside or in the corner of a building.

It is very common for people to carry on phone/facetime conversations around strangers that they shouldn't. It is even pretty common for them to have the other person on speaker so the group of strangers hears both sides of the conversation. I think one of the worst examples I remember was landing in Atlanta and a guy got on his phone describing the graphic details of the bachelor party he was arriving home from. He was the only person on the plane talking and was talking louder than he thought he was.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How about when you walk by someone with earbuds attached to a cellphone on their person? I usually don’t spot the tiny bitties in the eardrum or wires if they even have any. As fate would have it, that person starts talking right after I politely say hello. I fall for it every time by thinking they are saying something to me. I’ve never had an instance where they say excuse me, I’m speaking with someone else on my hidden phone or by at least pointing to their ear. Usually I get “it” after they walk on past without even a grunt, and left feeling like I’m the abnormal person by looking back in the first place.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree with your approach, or switching to a private medium like texting (even though texting isn’t that “private”.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I just dealt with a 15 min conversation before my daughters school play in the auditorium. I was baffled she continued the conversation that long.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My wife hates this but when folks do all of the above I just start playing music on my phone using the speaker. I adjust the volume based on them. Sure, it’s absolutely rude but I’m to the point in life of easily being able to put proper manners on hold to match the rudeness. I simply match their rudeness. Its starting to grow on my wife as well as when she sees me going for my phone her question is will it be “Teach Me How To Dougie” or “Call me Maybe”.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
My wife is a dental hygienist and she regularly has people try to answer their phone and TALK while she is trying to clean their teeth. She has started to shock them and tells them to please go back up front to the receptionist and reschedule their cleaning. One guy admitted he could not help himself and he knew it so it started leaving his phone at the front desk so it was out of reach and earshot. She is booked 12 months out so that one call gets them bumped at least 12 months

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One guy admitted he could not help himself and he knew it so it started leaving his phone at the front desk so it was out of reach and earshot.

I don't like talking on the phone. When I am at work, I usually leave my phone in my truck. It makes it easier for me to keep up with it and I am not distracted by the too numerous sales calls. My wife would know how to get ahold of me in the event of an emergency. When I get home I put it on my dresser in the bedroom. Same thing...I know where it is and I can call people back or not at my convenience and not theirs. (I imagine I would have it on me if I were in business for myself.) I liked phones better when they were mounted on the kitchen walls.

I have to admit to being curious as to what people like the one you mention find to talk about so much?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't like talking on the phone. When I am at work, I usually leave my phone in my truck. It makes it easier for me to keep up with it and I am not distracted by the too numerous sales calls. My wife would know how to get ahold of me in the event of an emergency. When I get home I put it on my dresser in the bedroom. Same thing...I know where it is and I can call people back or not at my convenience and not theirs. (I imagine I would have it on me if I were in business for myself.) I liked phones better when they were mounted on the kitchen walls.

I have to admit to being curious as to what people like the one you mention find to talk about so much?
Hear, hear. Answering a cell phone is a matter of choice, just like answering an e-mail or a land-line call. If you don't want to answer, don't. I don't feel any duty at all to most callers - my phone ids them - and I often go a whole day without the thing.

When others intrude on my personal space to make a call, I move. That's usually an option. If it isn't, I grin and bear it.