Quarterback for next year

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am amazed by the number of people that seem to have made final judgements on a freshman qb playing in his first year in a new system behind one one the worst olines in power 5. Show me a freshman who would not be inconsistent in that scenario. Of course Graham needs to improve but that is typically what happens when you get more comfortable in the offense and you are not running for your life. If our pass protection does not improve none of the qbs will look good.
Name the last time we had a QB significantly improve their completion percentage over their career.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If we are going to judge Graham for last year we should judge the others the same. None of them lit the world on fire. Gleason had a significant drop in production. Sims completion percentage was not great. Why be excited about the freshman if we are so down on Graham for what he did last year?

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably reading way into this since it's practice and I wouldn't put it past CGC from rotating who is QB with the 1's, but it looks like Yates is practicing with the 1's and Graham with the 2's

Look at the names shown in the pictures:

1's -

2's -

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yates can play. Everyone seems to dismiss him, but the guy is a gamer. Will he be our starting QB? That's TBD, but I wouldn't dismiss his chances. There's a reason he's in there with Graham and making plays.

That being said, what no one is talking about is how our true freshmen OL are getting some time with the 2's. Good to see them getting reps...really glad those guys came in early. They will be called upon a LOT this season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Name the last time we had a QB significantly improve their completion percentage over their career.

Tevin Washinton

Depends on how you frame the argument. TQM went from 37% in 2017 to 44% in 2018. TW was probably a better case since he went above 50% his final year, but TQM was the last QB to see significant improvement over his career here.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Depends on how you frame the argument. TQM went from 37% in 2017 to 44% in 2018. TW was probably a better case since he went above 50% his final year, but TQM was the last QB to see significant improvement over his career here.

From a statistic perspective i think so. JT improved a lot in his passing game even if the numbers didn't show it He was making throws as a senior he never would have made in 2014. In 2014 he just had Waller and Smelter. Also Hill on the checkdown.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Joe Hamilton, some dude who played QB here in the late 90's and was not too shabby, went from 57.4% to 64.6% between frosh and soph year. He dipped back down to 56% in his junior year (though he had a pretty good TD/INT ratio of 17/8 that year) but then jumped back up to 66% for his senior year.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You're welcome to your opinion, but when you get a limited number of passes, and GT QBs didn't pass enough to even count in the national stat categories, then improvement in the percentages is, IMO, significant.

You're welcome to your opinion as well and I respect how you broke it down above even as I politely disagree of the significance of such small #s.
'Tis the offseason though so this is what will have to tide us over til the Spring game!

LibertyTurns

Banned
key word was "significantly". TW had 1 more completion on 17 fewer attempts and 1 more game from jr. year to sr. year.
I can see your point. I’d probably guess Lil’ Joe was the next one before that. GT QBs significantly improving are like unicorns, at least it seems like that to me since before the 80’s and maybe before the 70’s. Just does not happen here.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can see your point. I’d probably guess Lil’ Joe was the next one before that. GT QBs significantly improving are like unicorns, at least it seems like that to me since before the 80’s and maybe before the 70’s. Just does not happen here.
I agree. It bears out at most schools. Completion percentage is, very generally speaking, a measure of ability, not maturity or knowledge or strength. You can fix mechanical flaws to improve it slightly, but you aren't going to turn a John Smoltz into a Greg Maddux.