Quality Losses

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Never let smugness and snarkiness substitute for knowing what you're talking about. It makes me question whether or not you, Animal02, and sideways have actually ever played competitive athletics because mental focus absolutely is a major factor. Does a team like Clemson wear you down and fatigue you with their depth? Absolutely. But a team like UVA, not the problem. We've got plenty of depth in the defensive backfield where we got torched by a receiving corps that is in no way better than Clemson or Miami (who we played in the rain, so not an excuse) who didn't beat us for a basketful of deep tds.

But back to focus and intensity, anyone who has played knows, whether in high school or the NBA it happens. You're playing a rival and the coach puts you on one of their top scorers. You're in his waistband the 1st half, and he's 0 for 10 and your team is up 10. 2nd half, you back off a little, figure let him jack it. He can't throw it in the ocean. He's just taking a bad shot. All of a sudden he hits a couple. You get back out on him, but now he's in a groove. All of a sudden, there's a minute left in the game, and now he's dropped 20 and you're down 4. Same with my experience as a pitcher. You get 6 and 7 out, and now you've got 8 and 9 coming up, who are 0 for 4 with 4 Ks. You lose focus, and your form is a little off. Ump doesn't give you a break, and the guy's on first, dancing around distracting you. You still don't focus on the 9 hole guy because you don't respect him, so instead of making 'pitches', you pipe one. Next thing you know, it's no longer an easy inning, and now the leadoff guy who's ripped your tits is up with a runner in scoring position. The difference between an average high school athlete like me and Taquon or Lance is not that they have superhuman mental focus. I was a pretty intense player. They just have 10 times the athletic talent I had. But if those guys didn't lose mental focus, PJ wouldn't be letting them have it on the sideline to snap them back into focus.

And, no, jumping up and down on the sidelines does not make you play better. But still doing it after a pick 6 that put you down 15 and should have put a dagger in your heart shows just what I said. UVA got embarrassed the previous two weeks, and their coaches had them sold- whatever you do this week, don't quit. Don't embarrass yourselves. You've got to see that in your opponent and match his intensity.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just a quick chime in about "focus". In my experience no sport requires more focus and mental strength than golf. Exhibit #1 Jordan Speith at the Open. After hitting one of the worst tee shots I've ever witnessed a pro hit he gathered himself got his par and then went on one of the great displays of golf Ive ever been blessed to watch to win the Open. Few athletes have the capacity to do what he did mentally and that's why they are looked upon as superstars, rightly so!

Animal02

Banned
Never let smugness and snarkiness substitute for knowing what you're talking about. It makes me question whether or not you, Animal02, and sideways have actually ever played competitive athletics because mental focus absolutely is a major factor. Does a team like Clemson wear you down and fatigue you with their depth? Absolutely. But a team like UVA, not the problem. We've got plenty of depth in the defensive backfield where we got torched by a receiving corps that is in no way better than Clemson or Miami (who we played in the rain, so not an excuse) who didn't beat us for a basketful of deep tds.

But back to focus and intensity, anyone who has played knows, whether in high school or the NBA it happens. You're playing a rival and the coach puts you on one of their top scorers. You're in his waistband the 1st half, and he's 0 for 10 and your team is up 10. 2nd half, you back off a little, figure let him jack it. He can't throw it in the ocean. He's just taking a bad shot. All of a sudden he hits a couple. You get back out on him, but now he's in a groove. All of a sudden, there's a minute left in the game, and now he's dropped 20 and you're down 4. Same with my experience as a pitcher. You get 6 and 7 out, and now you've got 8 and 9 coming up, who are 0 for 4 with 4 Ks. You lose focus, and your form is a little off. Ump doesn't give you a break, and the guy's on first, dancing around distracting you. You still don't focus on the 9 hole guy because you don't respect him, so instead of making 'pitches', you pipe one. Next thing you know, it's no longer an easy inning, and now the leadoff guy who's ripped your tits is up with a runner in scoring position. The difference between an average high school athlete like me and Taquon or Lance is not that they have superhuman mental focus. I was a pretty intense player. They just have 10 times the athletic talent I had. But if those guys didn't lose mental focus, PJ wouldn't be letting them have it on the sideline to snap them back into focus.

And, no, jumping up and down on the sidelines does not make you play better. But still doing it after a pick 6 that put you down 15 and should have put a dagger in your heart shows just what I said. UVA got embarrassed the previous two weeks, and their coaches had them sold- whatever you do this week, don't quit. Don't embarrass yourselves. You've got to see that in your opponent and match his intensity.
(Sigh) Played football, had D1 offers I turned down. Accusing players or coaches of losing "focus" in a close game is simply foolish.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
(Sigh) Played football, had D1 offers I turned down. Accusing players or coaches of losing "focus" in a close game is simply foolish.
Anyone who doesn't see that losing 3 games after being up 2 scores in the 2nd half isn't a sign of focus issues is in denial and FOOLISH, mean you fool.

Animal02

Banned
Anyone who doesn't see that losing 3 games after being up 2 scores in the 2nd half isn't a sign of focus issues is in denial and FOOLISH, mean you fool.
Anyone that thinks D1 athletes lose "focus" in a close game is just ignorant. 9 y.o. kids lose focus. There are plenty of reasons for such losses without loosing "focus". You just chose to ignore reality.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks D1 athletes lose "focus" in a close game is just ignorant. 9 y.o. kids lose focus. There are plenty of reasons for such losses without loosing "focus". You just chose to ignore reality.

So if the greatest golfers lose focus (and they have admitted doing so) D1 athletes don't at times? We'll agree to disagree.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't know man...I think you're taking what he's saying the wrong way. Losing focus doesn't mean you don't care to win, but usually mistakes are made when you lose focus...when you're thinking about something else (i.e. winning) instead of finishing out a play...Tennessee game comes to mind...J.J. Green fumbling the ball...I don't think there's any way we lose that game if he holds on. Davis missing the field goal...his focus should have been on execution...that kid has probably made 1,000 37 yard field goals in practice...instead he's worried about winning the game in front of a huge crowd and shanks one into the o-line.

Teams that win close games like that don't make those kind of mistakes. We should not have lost to Tennessee, Miami, or Virginia...all of which were lost due to stupid mistakes, not because we just got flat out beat by a better team.

Everyone loses focus sometimes...case and point...all of us are posting on GTSWARM when we should probably be working :)

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
All sports are mental, but the mental aspect only comes into play if you have a certain level of skill. Its what takes you to the next level. Seperates good from great

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Losing focus makes a close game out of what was a 15 point lead. Ex, taking a bad risk and throwing a dumb pick = losing focus. Getting sloppy on coverage technique and getting beat = losing focus. No need to insult people and call them 'foolish'. Hopefully, the players and coaches are not so full of pride that they are not able to critique themselves. Losing focus happens all the time and leads to dumb mistakes. If not, what the hell is CPJ doing when he's chewing someone's butt on the sideline?

"Losing focus" sounds great. It's easy to categorize a bunch of errors as lost focus. It's horribly inaccurate, though. We can give all the labels we want to assign blame to an intangible: Lost focus, lost heart, momentum, etc...

At the end of the day, uva just made the football plays necessary to win the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
They’re teaching all this BS in business school and it’s trickling its way down to sports message boards now.

How about if we want to win more we start improving something so the margin of error is greater every game and your chances of losing decrease?
Yep. That's it alright.

It's a form of the "Halo Effect" I've mentioned here before. How do you tell if a team, in business or football, has "focus"? Easy: they win. And why do they win? Easy: they have "focus". There's an inherent tendency to ascribe good characteristics to people or teams that succeed. Often that success is more a matter of pure bum luck then anything else (ask Sony about BetaMax). There are exceptions - Bammer - but luck plays a great part in football as in everything else. It isn't Coach's fault that we played three games in a steadily increasing monsoon or that good defensive work on pass plays goes for naught in atrocious field conditions.