PSU Discussion

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ralph Freidgen is the best OC that I’ve ever seen in football. Yes he’s been around great head coaches like Bobby Ross and the great George O’Leary but look at the dudes track record at Maryland, Ga Tech and Rutgers that dude moved the dang chains and it didn’t matter where he was coaching and it didn’t matter who he was playing he moved the chains and scored points. Man back in 2015 I was hoping James Franklin would bring Ralph Freidgen to Penn St because there’s no doubt in my mind NC’s would be coming to Penn St. I believe there’s a little bad blood between Ralph Freidgen and James Franklin because JF jumped ship on Ralph and took the Vanderbilt job because JF was supposed to take over at Maryland after Ralph retired. James Franklin is a product of Ralph Freidgen and that’s exactly why Penn State recovered from the death Penalty sanctions so quickly. I’m telling y’all now we got the same thing with Brent Key as head coach at Ga Tech this dude will bring back the George O’Leary years y’all just wait and see. ACC championships are on the way brother!
Bill O'Brien deserves a lot of credit for his few years at Penn State. Franklin got the benefit of the sanctions being lifted and ships reinstated, while O'Brien won despite the sanctions being in place and without a full array of scholarships.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill O'Brien deserves a lot of credit for his few years at Penn State. Franklin got the benefit of the sanctions being lifted and ships reinstated, while O'Brien won despite the sanctions being in place and without a full array of scholarships.
BOB did a great job holding the team together and he had NFL talent all over the field. BOB was only at Penn St for 2 years and he hated recruiting and only had a handful of scholarships to give out so by the time james Franklin showed up the roster was depleted and he had to rebuild the team. James Franklin had to take DL and make OL out of ‘em. BOB did a good job but what James Franklin did was incredible considering the depleted roster. James Franklin is a football disciple of Ralph Freidgen and IMO that’s why he was able to pull off what he has done at Penn St.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
BOB did a great job holding the team together and he had NFL talent all over the field. BOB was only at Penn St for 2 years and he hated recruiting and only had a handful of scholarships to give out so by the time james Franklin showed up the roster was depleted and he had to rebuild the team. James Franklin had to take DL and make OL out of ‘em. BOB did a good job but what James Franklin did was incredible considering the depleted roster. James Franklin is a football disciple of Ralph Freidgen and IMO that’s why he was able to pull off what he has done at Penn St.
Plus, his coaching staff is married to the only hot women in the entire state.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
There was a huge exodus of talent after sanctions came down, including Silas Redd, Khairi Fortt, Jamil Pollard, Rob Bolden, Tim Buckley, Justin Brown, Kevin Haplea, Anthony Fera, and Ryan Nowicki. The suggestion that O'Brien had a bunch of NFL holdover talent compared to Franklin is an absurdly untrue comment. In fact, there were six players drafted out Penn State the two years that BOB was there, while there were eight players drafted out of PSU the first two year of Franklin's tenure.

It is also hard to recruit when you lose a bunch of ships and are given a no bowl sanction.

Regardless, what BOB did with the limited roster was much more impressive than anything than Franklin has done, which is why BOB won the Big 10 Coach of the Year and the Bear Bryant award.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a huge exodus of talent after sanctions came down, including Silas Redd, Khairi Fortt, Jamil Pollard, Rob Bolden, Tim Buckley, Justin Brown, Kevin Haplea, Anthony Fera, and Ryan Nowicki. The suggestion that O'Brien had a bunch of NFL holdover talent compared to Franklin is an absurdly untrue comment. In fact, there were six players drafted out Penn State the two years that BOB was there, while there were eight players drafted out of PSU the first two year of Franklin's tenure.

It is also hard to recruit when you lose a bunch of ships and are given a no bowl sanction.

Regardless, what BOB did with the limited roster was much more impressive than anything than Franklin has done, which is why BOB won the Big 10 Coach of the Year and the Bear Bryant award.
Silas Redd and Justin Brown were the only 2 that were a loss the others were not going to get much playing time. BOB didn’t feel the sanctions because the team was stacked with talent. The loss of Silas Redd was big but we still Zack Zwinak to step up and get 1000 yards. There was no limited scholarship under BOB James Franklin 3 years later is the one that suffered the sanctions. Bob did a good job and I love Bob but he never felt the sanctions nothing like James Franklin did.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Silas Redd and Justin Brown were the only 2 that were a loss the others were not going to get much playing time. BOB didn’t feel the sanctions because the team was stacked with talent. The loss of Silas Redd was big but we still Zack Zwinak to step up and get 1000 yards. There was no limited scholarship under BOB James Franklin 3 years later is the one that suffered the sanctions. Bob did a good job and I love Bob but he never felt the sanctions nothing like James Franklin did.
You are wrong about the impact. BOB did have to deal with the fact that there were lost scholarships as well as the transfers.

The second link below states that he was down to around 62 scholarship players on roster due to mass exodus.

Also, how about this blurb...

"With a host of freshmen redshirts, it is clear that OB is building for the removal of Bowl Sanctions, 2016 A.D. Those 14 kids, led by Christian Hackenberg – plus this year’s redshirts — will be seniors in 2016 and eligible to play in a bowl game. If O’Brien is around, there’s no question the Lions will go bowling."

Isn't 2016 the year that Franklin won the Big 10? Hmmm....

Last edited:

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
You are wrong about the impact. BOB did have to deal with the fact that there were lost scholarships as well as the transfers.

The second link below states that he was down to around 62 scholarship players on roster due to mass exodus.

Also, how about this blurb...

"With a host of freshmen redshirts, it is clear that OB is building for the removal of Bowl Sanctions, 2016 A.D. Those 14 kids, led by Christian Hackenberg – plus this year’s redshirts — will be seniors in 2016 and eligible to play in a bowl game. If O’Brien is around, there’s no question the Lions will go bowling."

Isn't 2016 the year that Franklin won the Big 10? Hmmm....

Trust me brother, when sanctions are put in its 3 or 4 years before you start really feeling them. Check the roster of 2012 after Silas Redd and a few others left and look at the guys that went on to play in the NFL.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Trust me brother, when sanctions are put in its 3 or 4 years before you start really feeling them. Check the roster of 2012 after Silas Redd and a few others left and look at the guys that went on to play in the NFL.
Dude. BOB coached a team with 62 players on ship. He also setup Franklin's 2016 team, which is the one where they won the Big 10 and had five players drafted, more than any year under BOB.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude. BOB coached a team with 62 players on ship. He also setup Franklin's 2016 team, which is the one where they won the Big 10 and had five players drafted, more than any year under BOB.
True, but most of the 62 players were seasoned players not players recruited under sanctions and walk-ons like what James Franklin walked into. I love Brent Key and James Franklin but if Bob was the head coach of Ga Tech or Penn St it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Trust me, Bob is one of my favorite coaches. Hope you don’t think I’m picking on Bob because I love the guy. James Franklin recruited Barkley and McSorely from the 2016 team.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
True, but most of the 62 players were seasoned players not players recruited under sanctions and walk-ons like what James Franklin walked into. I love Brent Key and James Franklin but if Bob was the head coach of Ga Tech or Penn St it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Trust me, Bob is one of my favorite coaches. Hope you don’t think I’m picking on Bob because I love the guy. James Franklin recruited Barkley and McSorely from the 2016 team.
I am confused. Who recruited most of the players on the 2016 team? Yes, Franklin recruited Barkley and McSorely, but most of the team was recruited by BOB.

Let's see... From the 2016 draft, Austin Johnson was recruited by BOB, Christian Hackenberg was recruited by BOB, Carl Nassib was a walk-on who developed into a starter under BOB, Anthony Zettel was recruited by Paterno and eventually became a starter under BOB, and Jordan Lucas was recruited by BOB

Further, Trevor Williams was an undrafted free agent who made the NFL who also was recruited by BOB.

Also, Franklin recruited after the sanctions were reduced and, by 2106, he was at a full 85 ships. Most people would think recruiting prior to the sanctions being reduced would be harder than afterwards, but whatever.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't really give a rat about Penn state. Go on their board if you want to pontificate about how great Franklin is. This is a Georgia Tech board.