Protective Masks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Looks like my wife is about to run out of elastic. There is less of it available than toilet paper.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Careful with N95 masks. The device front and center on those things is a “flapper valve”. It is for a quick release of air you want to expel. There is no filtering of any kind on that valve for what you exhale.

GT_EE78

Banned
upload_2020-4-8_23-24-31.jpeg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Looks like my wife is about to run out of elastic. There is less of it available than toilet paper.

Just an FYI to anyone who is making masks. Since my wife ran out of elastic bands, she got some leotard material and cut it into strips. It works really well as a mask band and feels more comfortable than braided elastic.(At least to me)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just an FYI to anyone who is making masks. Since my wife ran out of elastic bands, she got some leotard material and cut it into strips. It works really well as a mask band and feels more comfortable than braided elastic.(At least to me)

You're a hero for giving up your leopard-skin banana hammock to give her material to do it. :smuggrin:

Kidding. My mom is making masks. I'll pass along the tip.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
My girlfriend and I have taken up sewing reusable facemask for ourselves and for some friends who are in the medical field that have reported their facilities need for these soon.

This is the video we followed to make facemasks with pockets for "filters".

We are using the blue shop paper towels for "filters" that have been found to filter out a high percentage of particles when used in conjunction with cloth materials for facemasks.

I posted this article in another thread:

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

IF you can, I would definitely try to buy them from sites like the ones DTM linked to since it would mean jobs for others.

Or you can buy made in the USA fabric masks on ETSY. Most paper masks are made in China. Might as well support US made or make them yourself.

GT_EE78

Banned
FYI, Amazon has some masks now, non-medical,about $40 for a pack of 50
Maybe as a souvineer, They appear to be from Wuhan
this won't post as a link so add www in front
.amazon.com/Face-Mask-Pack-of-50/dp/B086KMYNSS?ots=1&tag=b0c55-20
since they may dissappear quickly. The site linked below often provides articles with info on availibility with links to the Amazon product
https://bgr.com/