ProJackets Update

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Tucker didn't kick two 50 yard FG's to help facilitate wins against our 'hated' rival in their home stadium. He may be the best NFL kicker to ever play. OTOH my guy is GT grad Harrison Butker. He made the two kicks more important to our team in games that I care about.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Tucker didn't kick two 50 yard FG's to help facilitate wins against our 'hated' rival in their home stadium. He may be the best NFL kicker to ever play. OTOH my guy is GT grad Harrison Butker. He made the two kicks more important to our team in games that I care about.
To be fair, I said Butker may become the greatest playoff kicker in playoff history even if he is not best kicker in NFL history.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Tucker not only has one the strongest legs in the history of the NFL by evidence of having the longest FG ever, but he is the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL by evidence of his FG%. That combination makes him truly unique and well above every other kicker. Butker is second, but he has some work to ever get close to that level of accuracy. Also, he is well behind Tucker in XP%.
To be clear, Butker is 1.1% behind Turner in career FG%. Butker's longest is 60 yds and he has a higher FG% from 50+. Butker also has a much higher FG% in the playoffs (88.9% to 81.8%) and a higher Touchback % (70.8% to 64%). Turner has been doing it for 12 years, so he definitely has the edge, but Butker isn't that far behind him.

In fact, this year you could say that Butker got robbed by not being selected to the Pro-Bowl. He was better than Tucker in every category:
FG % (94.3% vs. 86.5%)
XP % (100% vs 98.1%)
TB % (87.1% vs. 79.2%)
Longest (60 vs. 50)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To be clear, Butker is 1.1% behind Turner in career FG%. Butker's longest is 60 yds and he has a higher FG% from 50+. Butker also has a much higher FG% in the playoffs (88.9% to 81.8%) and a higher Touchback % (70.8% to 64%). Turner has been doing it for 12 years, so he definitely has the edge, but Butker isn't that far behind him.

In fact, this year you could say that Butker got robbed by not being selected to the Pro-Bowl. He was better than Tucker in every category:
FG % (94.3% vs. 86.5%)
XP % (100% vs 98.1%)
TB % (87.1% vs. 79.2%)
Longest (60 vs. 50)
This is similar to the MaHomes vs Brady comparisons. Give Butker 6+ more years and than a true comparison can be made. He has a very good chance to be the Playoff all time scoring leader as KC will be a perennial playoff team as long as MaHomes and Reid are there. Butker is well paid, $4+M/year thru 2025. What happens on a future contract will be huge for him. Tucker is the highest paid PK at $6M/year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

FG % (94.3% vs. 86.5%)
XP % (100% vs 98.1%)
TB % (87.1% vs. 79.2%)
Longest (60 vs. 50)
Career TB% is skewed in Butker's favor since they moved the kickoff spot out five yards in recent years.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Kickoffs were moved forward in 2011. Tucker was a rookie in 2012.
You are correct, but touchbacks were also moved up 5 yards to the 25 yard line in 2015. That increased teams taking a touchback. Further, last year they let all fair catch kickoffs to be taken at the 25, which will further increase TB%. Prior to that, some teams tried more pop up kickoffs to pin teams inside their 25. So, TB% may not a fair comparison if one team tried more pop uos vs. kicking out the back of the end zone.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
You are correct, but touchbacks were also moved up 5 yards to the 25 yard line in 2015. That increased teams taking a touchback. Further, last year they let all fair catch kickoffs to be taken at the 25, which will further increase TB%. Prior to that, some teams tried more pop up kickoffs to pin teams inside their 25. So, TB% may not a fair comparison if one team tried more pop uos vs. kicking out the back of the end zone.
If you just compare the years they have both played, Butker is 70.8% and Tucker is 64%

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bummer. Was really pulling for him in the NFL. Had a lot of off-field family stuff that I imagine got in his head and made him less-consistent than he was with us. Hopefully he can get his game back and still do some interesting stuff.
That doesn't mean he's done. Just not with Pittsburgh anymore. Kickers/Punters are waived all the time and picked up by someone else. Hope he still has more football life in him.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Now you're just arguing to argue.
What are you doing?

I made the point earlier that TB% tells an inaccurate story. You then replied by comparing TB%. What did you think I was going to do when you replied in that manner?

Average starting field position is probably a better assessment of what you wish to compare but it also includes noise from kickoff coverage. If Baltimore employed more pop up kickoffs than KC and had a better starting defensive field position (inside the 25), isn't that better than having all your kickoffs be touchbacks and starting at the 25?

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Also, Butker is going to get paid soon. He's got one more year on his contract, I expect he's going to get a decent raise.
Top of the PK scale is only $2M more than he makes. PKs will only get so much in a salary capped system. He might become the highest paid if he has 2 more years like the last couple. He also might take less to stay with KC , the home team discount.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But how did Turner do?

😁

Turner's got Hooch...

Turner And Hooch GIF by Disney+