Stats Program Strength

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's possible. Still, in the Spring Game, we saw the WR line up closer to the line of scrimmage and then block a linebacker trying to flow to the outside. It's possible that we will use this sort of change in scheme when defenses make it tough for our OL to get up and block the second level.

I have see tight before though. I think we definitely allowed the bb to check just rushing lb vs the line sliding and the bb taking the end. It seems we exclusively did this. Its a start.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Can he win GT a National Championship

He's giving GT a better chance than essentially any other realistic potential hire. The learning curve here is too steep to imagine any coach could just come in and make Tech a national contender overnight. It would take years for anyone, and more seasons closer to last year than 2014 imo.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's possible. Still, in the Spring Game, we saw the WR line up closer to the line of scrimmage and then block a linebacker trying to flow to the outside. It's possible that we will use this sort of change in scheme when defenses make it tough for our OL to get up and block the second level.
I love the way navy lined up their bigger wr tight to formation. Some times they went straight down field to get safety, others they went to spot and waited for lb. My favorite was when the wr pinned the defensive end and the ab went outside to lead block for the qb counter play.
Their wr were big and strong enough to pin the de for a few seconds making space for the play.

Wr that can block on more than cb safeties really complicates things for the defense.
(Stay inside and the bb dive slanted outside the tackle with marshall mills etc could be really hard to stop for less than 5 yds . This works well with athletic pulling guard.

Our wr class this year and previous year will be strong in a few years. Keep the faith.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to the anthill at the picnic, but no. That is a laudable but not realistic goal. it takes too many outstanding players to get there, on offense and defense. Given all the impediments to recruiting, no. But top 10, conference championships, yes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I don't know. Who, after his first two seasons, thought Bobby Ross could win an MNC at Tech? (I did! I did!)

And what did that take? A few players that we took a big chance on developing right. Bobby Rod, Bell, Shawn Jones (yes), Marco Coleman, Coleman Rudolph, Greg Lester, Emmet Merchant - all of them were risks and, in some cases, (Coleman, Bell) really big ones. We had some great players already, true, but it took some chances coming through big for it to work. Except for Swilling, the 1990 team was unheralded. Yet it turned out to have the best WR corps in Tech history and arguably our best pair of DLs since the Dodd era. Then there was the matter of luck: if Colorado hadn't gotten that 5th down, they'd have been the unanimous pick, imho. And, of course, beating the no. 1 team in the country on national TV in a shootout at their place didn't hurt.

Could we do that again? I don't see why not. We came close in 2014. Beat FSU - which we nearly did - and who knows?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I don't know. Who, after his first two seasons, thought Bobby Ross could win an MNC at Tech? (I did! I did!)

And what did that take? A few players that we took a big chance on developing right. Bobby Rod, Bell, Shawn Jones (yes), Marco Coleman, Coleman Rudolph, Greg Lester, Emmet Merchant - all of them were risks and, in some cases, (Coleman, Bell) really big ones. We had some great players already, true, but it took some chances coming through big for it to work. Except for Swilling, the 1990 team was unheralded. Yet it turned out to have the best WR corps in Tech history and arguably our best pair of DLs since the Dodd era. Then there was the matter of luck: if Colorado hadn't gotten that 5th down, they'd have been the unanimous pick, imho. And, of course, beating the no. 1 team in the country on national TV in a shootout at their place didn't hurt.

Could we do that again? I don't see why not. We came close in 2014. Beat FSU - which we nearly did - and who knows?
And of such dreams castles are built. That is not a slam.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I think that this season will go a long way to answering that question.

Let me explain. I think that we have solid D1 quality depth throughout our D. It seems to me that we should be able to field a defense comparable to last year's UNC / Pitt. If that happens, then we'll have solid reason to trust the trajectory of our Defense. If our Defense this year is not significantly better than the last several years, then we'll have reason to think that maybe we just have a hard limit on that side of the ball.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I have see tight before though. I think we definitely allowed the bb to check just rushing lb vs the line sliding and the bb taking the end. It seems we exclusively did this. Its a start.

We do line-slides on half rolls and full rolls, like the old RnS. On ordinary drops, we don't slide and the BB is typically responsible for the 4th/5th rusher.

We do half and full rolls often with JT because of his height. We did more straight drops with Tevin.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We do line-slides on half rolls and full rolls, like the old RnS. On ordinary drops, we don't slide and the BB is typically responsible for the 4th/5th rusher.

We do half and full rolls often with JT because of his height. We did more straight drops with Tevin.

ordinary drops is where we struggle the most. The OL scheme on these is pedestrian if you ask me, some high schools are more complex.....just one mans observation. I will say though, JT needs to step up more into the windows of the pocket too though. Often he backs up and rushes into the rush....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yet IMO its what is holding us back from not being mediocre as a team. We know the D won't do much. So its the question of the O being premium.
When we are throwing on our terms, we are devastating with the pass. Which means it all starts with the dive and works it's way to the corner and then to the pass. When we force the defense to cheat on motion, we got 'em right where we want 'em. The scheme, if executed properly works, but it works as an entire body, not as individual body parts. Yet when one or two body parts malfunction, so does the entire body. It's not just the OL, it's the skill groups and I'd say last year it was more the latter.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If our Defense this year is not significantly better than the last several years, then we'll have reason to think that maybe we just have a hard limit on that side of the ball.
That has been the gnawing fear in the back of my mind for several decades of watching Tech ball. Still have not come to a final conclusion but defense has been a consistently difficult area for Tech to fill for a very long time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That has been the gnawing fear in the back of my mind for several decades of watching Tech ball. Still have not come to a final conclusion but defense has been a consistently difficult area for Tech to fill for a very long time.

What? We were known for our D as recently as Gailey era.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What? We were known for our D as recently as Gailey era.
People often remind me of that. So I am almost starting to believe it.

I guess my resistance to the idea is for a couple of reasons. Those Gailey defenses had a way of giving up a lot of points in big games. My memory may be foggy, and I have not gone back and checked, but I remember being at games when things were on the line and the defense gave up the big drive or the big score. That does not seem out of character for Tech for many decades, with only a few notable and exceptional seasons.

The other reason for my resistance is perhaps even more anecdotal. It seems harder for teams in general these days to recruit solid defenses. Explanations are often given, such as offenses being more "high powered," or that factories are hoarding all the top notch defensive players, or that more rigid APR standards especially hurt areas like the defensive line, but whether these are valid reasons or not, my general impression is that recruiting for the D seems harder than ever for Tech.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
People often remind me of that. So I am almost starting to believe it.

I guess my resistance to the idea is for a couple of reasons. Those Gailey defenses had a way of giving up a lot of points in big games. My memory may be foggy, and I have not gone back and checked, but I remember being at games when things were on the line and the defense gave up the big drive or the big score. That does not seem out of character for Tech for many decades, with only a few notable and exceptional seasons.

The other reason for my resistance is perhaps even more anecdotal. It seems harder for teams in general these days to recruit solid defenses. Explanations are often given, such as offenses being more "high powered," or that factories are hoarding all the top notch defensive players, or that more rigid APR standards especially hurt areas like the defensive line, but whether these are valid reasons or not, my general impression is that recruiting for the D seems harder than ever for Tech.

My time working in HS has shown me that most mid-high level football kids want to be on offense for the glory. Pretty much all of them at my school are playing defense because the coaches are forcing them to.