Pro Day Info

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
First it's our skill guys (WRs and RBs) that can't make the transition to the NFL because of our system. Now the OL can't make the transition? We must be winning through smoke and mirrors only...certainly isn't through skill or athleticism apparently. Smh

The people that run the NFL....are they really so stupid?

Edit....well we run a pro style defense.....that's how we have been winning...of course. Silly me.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think he was very diplomatic as well as honest in his interview.
IIRC his remarks were along the lines of guys who play for GT just have to remember what they used to play and get back to those skill sets. Now I may have heard wrong or misunderstood his words but if we run a "high school" offense then does that mean that Pro-style is run in the pee-wee league?
(Yes, I am being snarky. Insert appropriate emoticon)
I respectfully disagree with you on him being diplomatic. I thought his remarks biased & harsh. It seemed to be an uncomfortable interview for Roddy, considering the setting.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
First it's our skill guys (WRs and RBs) that can't make the transition to the NFL because of our system. Now the OL can't make the transition? We must be winning through smoke and mirrors only...certainly isn't through skill or athleticism apparently. Smh

Edit....well we run a pro style defense.....that's how we have been winning...of course. Silly me.

I have no problem with the assertion that our offensive system does not translate to the NFL as currently designed (with the exception of WRs, actually. I truly believe NFL teams LOVE to have WRs that can block).

What I don't understand is why the NFL refuses to adapt to the kind of offensive players that are coming in to the league. It's why you have 6-7 good teams and everybody else is constantly looking for the next Peyton Manning. And he ain't comin!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Because coaches coach what they know. Look at CPJ's experiment with all those spiffy formations and concepts with Vad Lee...it almost cost him his job. He doubled down on HIS offense, and we saw the results. The higher you get in your career, the more conservative you become because you don't want to take chances to ruin where you are. NFL coaches are at the pinnacle of their profession and get paid A LOT of money. They're going to find players that make their system go, and it's those players who they think gives them the best chance. There's not much time for experimentation unless it's a QB. That's why Chan Gailey is so well thought of on the NFL level...he's one of the few coaches who can take what you give him and have some success. He's not married to one system, and coaches around the talent available...he doesn't try to fit a square peg in a round hole (though some GT fans may want to bring up Reggie Ball to counter that).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with the assertion that our offensive system does not translate to the NFL as currently designed (with the exception of WRs, actually. I truly believe NFL teams LOVE to have WRs that can block).

What I don't understand is why the NFL refuses to adapt to the kind of offensive players that are coming in to the league. It's why you have 6-7 good teams and everybody else is constantly looking for the next Peyton Manning. And he ain't comin!
The funny thing is, the current most popular college offenses (think the HUNH read option spread offenses) don't translate at all to the NFL game either, but because it's "cool" and "cutting edge" people don't really bring it up about them. Why is it a negative for us but not, for example, Clemson?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is, the current most popular college offenses (think the HUNH read option spread offenses) don't translate at all to the NFL game either, but because it's "cool" and "cutting edge" people don't really bring it up about them. Why is it a negative for us but not, for example, Clemson?
Your point is well made when one reads the curve Mariota(?) is going through to take the snap under center, and then the 3, 5 and 7 step drops. If one watches the MSU line for example, it at times is just a moving mass of big guys that, should they link arms, would be the old flying wedge.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So Coach is moving Swilling to BB. What an inspired move that is. He's big, he's fast as lightening, he knows how to pick a hole, and he could even throw the occasional pass if necessary. I thought Brady would be competing for the job at QB when JT leaves, but getting him a chance to get on the field sooner rather then later is a real good thing. Now we have an experienced player who could easily turn out to be our backup BB next year.

I guess you can tell that I've been pretty impressed with Swilling in the limited play I've seen from him. You'd be right.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

I believe Demaryius Thomas, as a "skill position" player, transitioned into the NFL quite well, thank you very much. Also Cone and Hill have made NFL rosters as Wide Receivers. Finally, Gil Brandt just said Darren Waller will be a steal in the draft, and he also expects DeAndre Smelter to play on Sundays.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I believe Demaryius Thomas, as a "skill position" player, transitioned into the NFL quite well, thank you very much. Also Cone and Hill have made NFL rosters as Wide Receivers. Finally, Gil Brandt just said Darren Waller will be a steal in the draft, and he also expects DeAndre Smelter to play on Sundays.
You wonder if and how much Waller's personal difficulties -- team suspensions -- will affect his draft status. As for Hill, he will remain probably forever a mystery to those who got to see some eye popping catches and equally astounding drops; to leave school early against the advice of almost everybody, and put on a great combine performance that surprised the same people, even his biggest fans, then have a great first NFL game with two TD catches, and then drop like a stone when the drops inexplicably returned. We will never know the answer to "Why?"

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
You wonder if and how much Waller's personal difficulties -- team suspensions -- will affect his draft status. As for Hill, he will remain probably forever a mystery to those who got to see some eye popping catches and equally astounding drops; to leave school early against the advice of almost everybody, and put on a great combine performance that surprised the same people, even his biggest fans, then have a great first NFL game with two TD catches, and then drop like a stone when the drops inexplicably returned. We will never know the answer to "Why?"

He has also been arrested. http://georgia.arrests.org/Arrests/Darren_Waller_6095412/

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Stephen Hill...man, outside of Megatron, probably the most physically gifted WR we've had on the Flats since I started following GT. Big physical guy that can run like a deer. Made the spectacular catch look routine, but would drop the easy catches routinely.

That one UNC game where he made that amazing catch that was thrown way over his head, only to drop a WIDE OPEN pass off the counter motion pretty much sums him up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why? I think this is relevant as to what Pro Scouts will easily find via Google and ask him In his interviews.
I agree. If they don't do their due diligence they should be fired. Guarantee you by now if the FSU QB got a parking ticket when he was 12, they know. Sometimes it makes no difference, but they know.