Prior to our game against UVA in 1990...

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow - thanks for the trip down memory lane! For the UVA game, three other student trainers and I drove up for the game (only two student trainers per road game traveled then - not sure about now) so we could work it and be on the sideline. It was amazing, what a game. Of course the Citrus Bowl, I think everyone would agree that we were in control the entire game. The good guys were never going to let that one go, they were highly motivated.
Best game I ever attended...21-0 first quarter...Shamu was flying above as our good luck charm...Bobby Ross started"pulling in the reins on the offense...this is against Nebraska mind you...I'm not sure it gets any better than that...

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you so much for bringing back memories of that magical season when I was a Tech student. What's this moisture in my eyes?

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I would probably have punched Bobby Ross in the face if I had run into him after the South Carolina loss (a team we had beaten 38-0 the year before) to start that team 0-3. '87, '88, and the start of '89 were so bad. Even worse than the early 80's because you could blame the early 80's on the sorry state of the program. But Curry had left more in the pantry than he had found, and Ross, O'Leary, and Friedgen could do nothing with it. I mean nothing. That still to me is the biggest mystery and tragedy in Tech football history. Three of the best coaches to ever stand on the Tech sideline were here at the same time, and they started out 5-20 with most of those 5 wins against the Citadel's of the world.

There was bad blood when Curry left and the players didn't buy into Ross's scheme...at all. My sister-in-law dated a player in those days; he said the Ross staff treated Curry's players like crap. I take that with a grain of salt, but obviously the team didn't turn around until Ross's recruits came into their own.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was bad blood when Curry left and the players didn't buy into Ross's scheme...at all. My sister-in-law dated a player in those days; he said the Ross staff treated Curry's players like crap. I take that with a grain of salt, but obviously the team didn't turn around until Ross's recruits came into their own.
I never seem to be able to pass up the opportunity to remind everyone that Ross almost left the year prior to the 1990 season. He was not well received by players or fans and almost got tired of putting up with the crap. I have shared that story many times prior to the 2014 season because there were people who were all over CPJ's rear end and wanting him gone, failing to realize that virtually every coach who has been at Tech since Dodd says the pressure and the expectations of fans are way out of proportion. I am so glad that both Ross and Johnson did not get run off. And I would hope Tech fans would learn a little patience with regard to how long it takes to put together a winning program at Tech.

End of diatribe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I never seem to be able to pass up the opportunity to remind everyone that Ross almost left the year prior to the 1990 season. He was not well received by players or fans and almost got tired of putting up with the crap. I have shared that story many times prior to the 2014 season because there were people who were all over CPJ's rear end and wanting him gone, failing to realize that virtually every coach who has been at Tech since Dodd says the pressure and the expectations of fans are way out of proportion. I am so glad that both Ross and Johnson did not get run off. And I would hope Tech fans would learn a little patience with regard to how long it takes to put together a winning program at Tech.

End of diatribe.
Well said. If it is true that the most popular play on a team is the backup quarterback it probably is true the most popular coach is the one who doesn't have the job yet.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

End of diatribe.
IMO it is so important at Tech to have a consistency in the coaching staff, more than most places because of the challenges of recruiting with our curriculum and standards. We have to realize that we will have ups and downs and not pull the rug out from under the program by firing coaches. History shows that at Tech. That said I firmly believe we are headed for a great streak of seasons under CPJ. We need to keep as many of the other coaches as possible also, especially CTR. I can't wait to tee it up this year. How many times have we had these type of expectations and excitement in May?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
IMO it is so important at Tech to have a consistency in the coaching staff, more than most places because of the challenges of recruiting with our curriculum and standards. We have to realize that we will have ups and downs and not pull the rug out from under the program by firing coaches. History shows that at Tech. That said I firmly believe we are headed for a great streak of seasons under CPJ. We need to keep as many of the other coaches as possible also, especially CTR. I can't wait to tee it up this year. How many times have we had these type of expectations and excitement in May?
Can't quibble with the need for stability on a coaching staff. VT made it pay off for a lot of years. But for the life of me, and I know he is a Tech man, I can't quite get on the Ted Roof bandwagon. So far, aside from opportunism, which I grant is a function of coaching (the always-be-ready-for-anything coaching) Tech's 2014 defense was more of the same of the previous six years, give or take. I want to be wrong because this year we need the defense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This might not be the place but I can't find one, and it's not worth a thread of its own. But can one of you fellows who understands all this over/under stuff explain it for a guy who doesn't even play the lottery? No moral objection, but those are odds I can understand.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Can't quibble with the need for stability on a coaching staff. VT made it pay off for a lot of years. But for the life of me, and I know he is a Tech man, I can't quite get on the Ted Roof bandwagon. So far, aside from opportunism, which I grant is a function of coaching (the always-be-ready-for-anything coaching) Tech's 2014 defense was more of the same of the previous six years, give or take. I want to be wrong because this year we need the defense.

From November, through the end of the 2014 campaign, when our schedule was most difficult, Georgia Tech ranked 14th among Power 5 teams in opponents' Total QBR (31.7), 21st in rushing yards allowed per game (138.8), fourth in interceptions (9), and 11th in points allowed per game (22.3). These numbers are notable because eight starters return on this platoon (tied for the most in the ACC), including impact candidates in the secondary D.J. White and Jamal Golden and Paul Davis at Linebacker PLUS Jabari Hunt-Days returns.

If THESE numbers don't provide some "evidence" that our Defense made great strides under Ted Roof, I don't know what will convince you.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
This might not be the place but I can't find one, and it's not worth a thread of its own. But can one of you fellows who understands all this over/under stuff explain it for a guy who doesn't even play the lottery? No moral objection, but those are odds I can understand.

If Tech's line is set at 7.5 wins for next season you bet either over (>7.5 Wins) or under (<7.5 wins) AT the end of the season based on the bet and the line at the time you get your payout. Payouts are a bit harder to understand

The numbers inside the parentheses indicate the payout. -105 shows this side of the wager pays $.95 for every $1 wagered versus -125 which pays $.80 for every $1 wagered. This basically shows the percentage paid to the house when the bet is won which is also known as 'juice'. If there are no numbers shown in parentheses both sides pay equally; usually -110.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
From November, through the end of the 2014 campaign, when our schedule was most difficult, Georgia Tech ranked 14th among Power 5 teams in opponents' Total QBR (31.7), 21st in rushing yards allowed per game (138.8), fourth in interceptions (9), and 11th in points allowed per game (22.3). These numbers are notable because eight starters return on this platoon (tied for the most in the ACC), including impact candidates in the secondary D.J. White and Jamal Golden and Paul Davis at Linebacker PLUS Jabari Hunt-Days returns.

If THESE numbers don't provide some "evidence" that our Defense made great strides under Ted Roof, I don't know what will convince you.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Tech's line is set at 7.5 wins for next season you bet either over (>7.5 Wins) or under (<7.5 wins) AT the end of the season based on the bet and the line at the time you get your payout. Payouts are a bit harder to understand
Okay, I get it. Thanks. Plenty of evidence to remind me why I don't gamble.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I hear what your saying, and i was getting pretty upset about how bad our Def was earlier in the season, but you have to take into consideration the hand that he was dealt with the D-line attrition. I hope that this is the year where slowly improving quality depth and him getting his guys in here will start making a big difference on the field. Another huge plus with him is that Ted bring's an intangible hard nosed, never quit attitude that i think has infused the whole team, thats just invaluable.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Any coach is only as good as good as the bullets in the gun. Ted is not only an excellent coach but maybe more importantly is a great recruiter. I've watched him continually get players he had no business getting at some of the schools where he coached. After two years of recruiting this is starting to pay off here. Having and keeping Ted is a big piece of the Tech puzzle. We've already seen the Gwinnett pipeline and I'm excited to see what he can do over the next couple of years. The good HS coaches in GA love him as much as the kids do.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I agree that we got better, but we were really bad. We had great games against Clemson and u[sic]ga, but uva and ncstate were not good offensive teams, esp ypc rushing. Fsu game wasn't good imo, and miss st was ave.

I'm optimistic for the reasons you mention, but I'm not yet confident.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we got better, but we were really bad. We had great games against Clemson and u[sic]ga, but uva and ncstate were not good offensive teams, esp ypc rushing. Fsu game wasn't good imo, and miss st was ave.

I'm optimistic for the reasons you mention, but I'm not yet confident.

Cautiously optimistic, perhaps, which sounds like a lot of Tech fans who have gotten "stung" in the past after great seasons. From my perspective, the way that I look at it is that this will be the third year the players will be under Ted Roof as Defensive Coordinator, so they should be playing more reactive and fast rather than having to think so much, and we've pretty much cycled trough all of Al Groh's players so those who were brought in to play the 3-4 exclusively are gone, or re-purposed in new positions and re-shaped so they could meet the needs of the new spot.

Also, as just mentioned, we are coming in with more defensive experience and depth than we've had since Paul Johnson has been Head Coach. IF they can regain that Top 25 Defensive stature starting off the season, it will really help the Offense get the new WR's and Backs acclimated to games that count.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I am feebly attempting a do-over because my first response was way more abrupt, even dismissive, and that was not what I intended, so I apologize. It added nothing to the discussion. So yes, we have to show something this season, no question. While I recognize we improved in some areas and games -- who could complain about the second half of FSU? And while Georgia did score to go ahead in regulation, it was 4th down, which is something, and we did get that OT pick; I agree that MSU's yardage was mostly in the middle of the field but it was 600+ yards (and I might be in the minority, I just could not get exercised with Dak Prescott. I just couldn't and still can't. In our last three games we gave up 100 points, and while Clemson was an outstanding effort, who really thinks it would have been six points had Wilson had not been hurt early? In my mind it was going to go to a shootout at the end and while I thought we had the better team, it could have been 35-28 or so, pick 'em. I am not sure those picks would have happened with Wilson, but give the defense credit. They played very well.

I know the D is more experienced. Granted. But it seems to me a lot of hope is being put in Hunt-Days, both in that he will be eligible and that he will play at the level some good football people on the board think he is capable of. I just want to see both.

In n this era of faster offensive play and more plays, and more spreads and passing, what might pass for a dominant defense might be the one that holds teams to 21-24 points. If we get into that range we're going to win a lot of games. So what I was ineptly trying to say was that I hope the defense is better, I want it to be, and all those "ifs" put to rest". It has to be this season.