Previewing our backs

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Good read, although I disagree that coach wants to redshirt all 3 freshmen. I think his ideal would probably be to only play one, but you definitely want to create a little separation between some of these guys. That way you don't end up with a situation like we have this year further down the road.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO we will play 1 freshman at BB, 1 at AB, and 1 at WR. If was predicting now I would say MLD at BB, Cottrell at AB, and Philpott at WR. I don't think they will start (especially not at first), but I would expect them to get some good PT

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO we will play 1 freshman at BB, 1 at AB, and 1 at WR. If was predicting now I would say MLD at BB, Cottrell at AB, and Philpott at WR. I don't think they will start (especially not at first), but I would expect them to get some good PT

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Barring injury, I doubt we play any freshmen unless they can crack the two deep. If they can't beat out the ones already there, they need a redshirt year anyway.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's probably right, but I think Marshall might surprise. Maybe I'm wrong, but that kid makes some of the best first cuts after hitting a hole of any incoming freshman at Tech that I can remember (disclaimer... I'm not that old). I hope he pans out at B-Back and doesn't need to be shifted to A-back, because I think he could be pretty incredible.

All that being said, freshmen are freshmen...I try not to set my hopes too high

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Barring injury, I doubt we play any freshmen unless they can crack the two deep. If they can't beat out the ones already there, they need a redshirt year anyway.

Yeah, this may be right with respect to Bbacks. Still, you have to remember that this was a big class, and we like to balance out the classes too. In all, I expect 5-8 freshmen to play, probably 2-3 running backs. While the focus may be on Abacks, we may be more likely this year to play a guy early at B also.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this may be right with respect to Bbacks. Still, you have to remember that this was a big class, and we like to balance out the classes too. In all, I expect 5-8 freshmen to play, probably 2-3 running backs. While the focus may be on Abacks, we may be more likely this year to play a guy early at B also.

I agree. We need at least two freshmen A-backs (maybe three for class balance) based on current roster numbers. That would leave three or four RSs and Benson for next year for A and B backs. The B-back situation is probably based more on who looks ready to play, including freshmen and Allen/Skov/Walk-ons.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
It's probably right, but I think Marshall might surprise. Maybe I'm wrong, but that kid makes some of the best first cuts after hitting a hole of any incoming freshman at Tech that I can remember (disclaimer... I'm not that old). I hope he pans out at B-Back and doesn't need to be shifted to A-back, because I think he could be pretty incredible.

+1
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Marshall. His vision in traffic, and what you mentioned-his cutting ability, has got me feeling pretty high on him. If he can hit the line of scrimmage hard then he'll be in good shape. And, like all running backs, if he gets comfortable with his hand down and lining up tighter behind the line.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Hopefully Dedrick Mills can come in and force our hand with the move to A Back for Marshall.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Patrick Skov will be a perfect bridge at B-Back to allow CPJ to redshirt the incoming backs barring any unforseen injuries. This will be much like the situation last season with CJ Leggett on the travel squad but able to save his redshirt season. I expect Skov to be a bull at the position.

I am looking at the former walkon QB Brady Swilling to become the 3rd string B-Back and have a role very similar to Matt Connors last season.

This will make the group of incoming B-Backs in this class better by not having to toss one into the mix too early unless absolutely necessary.