Pressure Quarters deffense.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been think about this for about this for a while. Is there a way to modify quarters so that you could bring 5 or six people and still cover the back with zone or modified zone coverage?

Against 10 personal lined up 2x2 with 3-4 defense alignment this is what I'm thinking.

The safety and corner would handle the wr's on their side of the field with possible help from a MLB on a shallow cross. I have not figured out the calls etc to make this work. I'm not imagining sticking to a strict man to man though.

The 3 dl and 1 of the MLB, probably the Mike in our present defense, will be controlling the inside gaps against the run and then work to the QB.

The OLBs will be in charge of outside contain on runs 1st then the back going in their side flat with an outside release and after that to attack the QB.

The other MLB, the Will in our example, not in control of a gap will 1st read run by the guards and flow to the ball if a run. If a pass will look to the #3, the back, on an inside release, between the tackles, if so will cover him man to man if the back does not release will read the qb's eyes and help on anything he can get to that crosses the middle.

If the back stays in to block or an inside release you would be bringing 6. Worst case scenario you would be bringing 5.

I have not worked through the changes in coverage that would need to be against an offensive formation with trips on one side or against 21 etc formations but I think that would be achievable if someone sat through the variations etc. There is also room for changing up responsibilities on the inside like a MLB responsible for the contain and flat and the OLB just gets to come. Or modifications with personal like with a 4-3, 4-2, nickel.

What do you guys think. Would there be to much cost to implement this? Would it be just better to stick to man to man and blitz?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
U generally run cvr 3 for what u are talking about otherwise you get killed under. Quarter quarter half can do some of this if the quarters side plays up. Which is a version of quarters. He needs to rob the under.

But its not typical. You are way more likely to see half field coverages or cvr 3 first.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
So there would not be a way to line the corner and safety up with basic calls and reads to take away most route combinations of the 2 wrs to one side? I have looked into how MSU used to run quarters and I would think it could be adjusted. I would probably morph into basic man but I thought is might be able to add some possible advantages depending how it was set up.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Now you're talking pattern-matching, aka the al groh special.

It's amazing if you can do it.

If you can't, guys guess wrong, and you get torched.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So there would not be a way to line the corner and safety up with basic calls and reads to take away most route combinations of the 2 wrs to one side? I have looked into how MSU used to run quarters and I would think it could be adjusted. I would probably morph into basic man but I thought is might be able to add some possible advantages depending how it was set up.

Thats quarter quarter half i mentioned. Its a type of quarters. But at the end of the day in that covg they play off since they have deep quarters responsibility. If u do what you say close its half field man. No new magic really. We have run both those in the past

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t know if they still run this, but it is a quarters based coverage intended to allow for safe blitzes and providing for a 9 man front.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/michigan-state-oregon-pat-narduzzi-defense-breakdown/
That was exactly what I was looking at but trying to modify it with less, no, flat coverage unless the back comes out of the backfield thereby getting more pressure from it. The safety and corner alignment calls and responsibilities would have to change but I was trying to see if it would be feasible.