Pressley Harvin's future at Tech

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't normally follow recruiting, but is there a punter in the mix for next year? Unless I'm missing something. Pressley Harvin III is good enough to make a living as an NFL punter...starting next year since he is a Junior. Anybody have any insight on Pressley's ambitions and how long his tenure at Tech might be?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think we have looked at some walk-on candidates. Cliff Gandis, a current walk-on, can also punt, though I dunno how well.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't normally follow recruiting, but is there a punter in the mix for next year? Unless I'm missing something. Pressley Harvin III is good enough to make a living as an NFL punter...starting next year since he is a Junior. Anybody have any insight on Pressley's ambitions and how long his tenure at Tech might be?

Punters occasionally get drafted, but rarely very high. The highest drafted punter of recent years was Bryan Anger in the third round of 2012: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Anger

Maybe he goes early, but it’s one of the safest positions for him to finish his eligibility. Also, punters don’t have the short careers that other positions do. You can punt into your late 30’s or longer, where running backs have to make hay while the sun shines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
Punters occasionally get drafted, but rarely very high. The highest drafted punter of recent years was Bryan Anger in the third round of 2012: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Anger

Maybe he goes early, but it’s one of the safest positions for him to finish his eligibility. Also, punters don’t have the short careers that other positions do. You can punt into your late 30’s or longer, where running backs have to make hay while the sun shines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same with place kickers.....the Lions (I know they are losers) had one place kicker for 21 seasons. Butker should be around a long time in the NFL.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Great college punter, but not an NFL punter based on this season. Way too inconsistent. NFL punters boom nearly every punt with hang time. Only a couple of these jobs open up a year because of longevity.

Deleted member 2897

Not even in the top 10 for Ray Guy award? LOL at those idiots.

Now as GTRanj12 said, poor Harvin's worn out. He punted for 434 yards last game and almost has 3,000 yards on the season (not a typo).

The difference between an elite punter and one good enough to get by in the NFL is not a lot. They don't score points like kickers do, and if an elite punter can net 50 but there are 50 guys who can net 45, teams will take the 45 because they are a dime a dozen.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not even in the top 10 for Ray Guy award? LOL at those idiots.

Now as GTRanj12 said, poor Harvin's worn out. He punted for 434 yards last game and almost has 3,000 yards on the season (not a typo).

The difference between an elite punter and one good enough to get by in the NFL is not a lot. They don't score points like kickers do, and if an elite punter can net 50 but there are 50 guys who can net 45, teams will take the 45 because they are a dime a dozen.

I love Harvin, but we gotta be fair. He is 4th in the country in punts and 6th in yards. But he is 23rd in average and 100th in net average. His snubbing is defensible, based on the numbers.

Deleted member 2897

I love Harvin, but we gotta be fair. He is 4th in the country in punts and 6th in yards. But he is 23rd in average and 100th in net average. His snubbing is defensible, based on the numbers.

Yup, but we're also a victim of inconsistency of ratings. Last year he was more consistent, but didn't get it because they said he didn't have enough kicks. Oh well.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, but we're also a victim of inconsistency of ratings. Last year he was more consistent, but didn't get it because they said he didn't have enough kicks. Oh well.
How is it an inconsistency in the ratings?!? He didn't have enough kicks to prove his consistency. He does this year and, it's good but not great. A punter leaving early is laughable. He's good, but not Durant Brooks good at the moment. Durant was drafted in the sixth round and didn't pan out as an NFL punter.