Press Conference: President Angel Cabrera and more.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Well, I'm just now seeing this, and after hearing PAC's opening remarks, I thought this clip deserved it's own thread.

Seriously...does this give you hope that Tech might really be committed to greatness on the field as well as in the classroom, etc?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No, saw it at the time.
I think it is committed to having a winning program. It doesn't want to be 3-9 every year. I do not think GT is committed to be a 'great' football program.
I think it wants to be a consistently winning program like it was before the Collins hire, I do not think it is going to put in the resources necessary to compete for Championships (especially NC).

At the end of the day i'm just in wait and see mode.
Who is the new AD?
Who is the new FB coach?
How much money is being committed to the program?

We'll know in 2 months.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We’ll know about the AD before the end of the month. Sounds like they’re trying to wrap it up before the publicly stated Nov 1 timing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Greene announced sooner than later, (within 2 weeks) which I’m ok with. Not a home run at the moment for me, but presuming we want a hire fast then it’ll be hard to pluck a bold name guy from a more rich program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We’ll know about the AD before the end of the month. Sounds like they’re trying to wrap it up before the publicly stated Nov 1 timing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Greene announced sooner than later, (within 2 weeks) which I’m ok with. Not a home run at the moment for me, but presuming we want a hire fast then it’ll be hard to pluck a bold name guy from a more rich program.
If Greene can right the ship (some wins and some talent) and AC and Greene can get some $ moving, we will be a desirable program for hot shot coach.
Right now we are dumpster fire coach, look like a team w/o lots of talent , and huge debt w low cash flow.

We will know alot if AC says at the press conference I am committed to winning and this is the guy i think can do it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Who’s this Greene guy?

I thought the smart money was on the other Geoff…

slugboy

Staff member
Who’s this Greene guy?

I thought the smart money was on the other Geoff
Neff was a long shot.

Greene looks good, especially for baseball. Some don’t like Auburn’s Harsin hire, but Greene wasn’t in control of that.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Neff was a long shot.

Greene looks good, especially for baseball. Some don’t like Auburn’s Harsin hire, but Greene wasn’t in control of that.
My Auburn buddy said he stuck his neck out for Harsin. Where did you see he wasn't in control? Genuinely curious.

This article makes it sound like he went against the grain, ignoring the alumni to hire Harsin:
"Greene hired Harsin in December 2020, which according to several reports, went against what several prominent boosters wanted Greene to do."

Also, it's possible he made a bad football hire at Auburn and still be a good fit at GT. Don't know enough about him yet.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Well, I'm just now seeing this, and after hearing PAC's opening remarks, I thought this clip deserved it's own thread.

Seriously...does this give you hope that Tech might really be committed to greatness on the field as well as in the classroom, etc?

We will learn everything we need to know when the next football coach is hired. If they can talk a front-line, top-of-the-heap coach into coming to the Flats, that will convince me that at the very least this administration will produce a quality football team. You know, the kind that used to beat Miami, FSU, UNC, VT often enough to be taken seriously.

But please: no more 2-year job jumpers, 7-year contracts accompanied by a resume of mediocrity.

slugboy

Staff member
My Auburn buddy said he stuck his neck out for Harsin. Where did you see he wasn't in control? Genuinely curious.

This article makes it sound like he went against the grain, ignoring the alumni to hire Harsin:
"Greene hired Harsin in December 2020, which according to several reports, went against what several prominent boosters wanted Greene to do."

Also, it's possible he made a bad football hire at Auburn and still be a good fit at GT. Don't know enough about him yet.
I said he didn’t have full control of the hiring process. Here is the quote about Harsin’s hiring process (it was done by a University committee):
AD Greene was held in very high regard by AD's in general and the Auburn community as a whole. He has his own views and did not kow tow to special interests. He's done a solid job across all sports except football.

Why football? The outgoing president stepped in after Malzahn's firing and ordered a university search committee. This was to neutralize the boosters.

He has an extremely good reputation overall.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I know plenty of Auburn, Bama and ugag fans who will swear that they have never paid players to go there. I would not give much credence to some fans opinion of their own programs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The next AD will make or be involved significantly in hiring the next HC . Must also manage a budget with overhanging debt, maintain several successful sports programs, and will likely have to hire the next baseball coach and possibly the next basketball coach. Needless to say a very important hire.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

As I recall, there were a lot of the usual suspects, Steele, Venables, etc., but no one really wanted to take it and they had to go down the list to get to Harsin. Out of the box thinking, but likely not the right fit at Auburn.

slugboy

Staff member
As I recall, there were a lot of the usual suspects, Steele, Venables, etc., but no one really wanted to take it and they had to go down the list to get to Harsin. Out of the box thinking, but likely not the right fit at Auburn.

While we're doing "word on the street" stuff, Kevin Steele was the interim at Auburn after Malzahn was fired. He reportedly wanted the job, and twisted arms to get the job away from Gus. Apparently, he'd been cozying up to big Auburn boosters in an effort to get them to push for him as head coach.

Then, Auburn's president created a committee to find the next head coach. They didn't pick Steele. You can probably find some of the news stories at the time. Then Steele was the interim head coach at Tennessee and wanted that job. Tennessee got a search committee and found their current coach (not Steele).

Auburn may have gone "down the list", but they hopped right over Steele to do it.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
While we're doing "word on the street" stuff, Kevin Steele was the interim at Auburn after Malzahn was fired. He reportedly wanted the job, and twisted arms to get the job away from Gus. Apparently, he'd been cozying up to big Auburn boosters in an effort to get them to push for him as head coach.

Then, Auburn's president created a committee to find the next head coach. They didn't pick Steele. You can probably find some of the news stories at the time. Then Steele was the interim head coach at Tennessee and wanted that job. Tennessee got a search committee and found their current coach (not Steele).

Auburn may have gone "down the list", but they hopped right over Steele to do it.

True. I know a guy in the "know" and he sort of tried to sell me on the Harsin hire. "he's a great coach, did great things at Boise...." Figured they just couldn't get one of their top guys and had to settle and here we are....