President Cabrera's Newsletter March 2024

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Attached is President Cabrera's Newsletter for March 2024. He reveals a new "Arts Square" which involves a new project similar to "Tech Square". He also suggests new Courses and new Degree Programs in "The ARTS".

This appears to be a major project which will include an expanded curriculum with some additional property near Marietta Street. A new Associate Vice Provost has been selected to be the leader of this endeavor.

I know some of our members are in favor of expanding the Curriculum, other not some much. I fall in the favorable group.

See the last 4 or 5 paragraphs for a summary of the project.

Attachments

• President's Newsletter_ March 2024.pdf
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If anyone understands what's going on with the Music and Film scene in Atlanta, this is an absolute no brainer for GT. We've discussed this some in years past in regards to giving SAs more options in GT's limited curriculum, but outside of that, this also gives GT a more well rounded field of study which in turns helps us raise our profile even more.

Exploring the intersection of art and technology, this newest campus addition will support education, research, and culture and help us further engage Georgia’s multibillion dollar music, film, video game, and other creative media industries. It’ll be a destination space where students, researchers, and industry partners can collaborate to produce innovative artistic work while they invent the technology to power it.

This is vital work because the future leaders of creative industries like music and film will be people who understand how technology is transforming the production, performance, and craft of these art forms. They will be people who know how to take advantage of the opportunities, and address the challenges, that technology creates for creativity.

Given the role AI will play in the music, film, and creative industries in the years to come (Tyler Perry famously stopped construction on his almost $1 Billion film studio because of AI) GT can easily become an elite school for aspiring creators and those creative industries itself.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Other than another curriculum does this have any meaning in the recruitment of athletes? Do these degrees require calculus? Anyone have any thoughts?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
This is awesome! When I was in school 20 years ago they were trying to expand the arts program from just the electives to include more degree opportunities in stuff like music technology. I am glad the new administration finally understands the advantage Tech has in this space!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Has a

Those were around North Avenue when I was in school. (1969)
I'm pretty surethey were as well when I was there (late 70's thru 81). Sightings were rare however outside of the Claremont Lounge, the Limelight club and occasionally Piedmont Park. I don't know what has changed but the population seems to have exploded to the point where a sighting or even rumors of a sighting from a guy in the dorm is no longer noteworthy.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There was a large group of very attractive women at Tech when I was there. The best part was they were all smart, too. I cannot imagine what it was like before then with all the geeky guys. In fact, were we to hear all this from the female perspective, I could see it being much harder on them having classroom after classroom chocked full of world class nerds. Ha!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There was a large group of very attractive women at Tech when I was there. The best part was they were all smart, too. I cannot imagine what it was like before then with all the geeky guys. In fact, were we to hear all this from the female perspective, I could see it being much harder on them having classroom after classroom chocked full of world class nerds. Ha!
65-69 50 ish on campus.
Stewardess schools,modeling schools, nurses, govt admin knew where gt was located. It required a little effort.
But yea, it was a 75% i want to only be an engr forever nerd fest.
But the football games and varsity were very rowdy.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds fantastic, I had to joint enroll at GSU to minor in music.
But probably similar to the current music tech degree in terms of academic rigor i.e. not easy.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who worked in the entertainment industry for years (and for the Georgia Film Office back in the day)…this is a no-brainer, and long overdue. I wish this had been on the table 30 years ago when I was considering schools. I would likely have gone to Tech instead of Oglethorpe.

Excited to see Tech moving in this new direction.