Preparing for Life After Football

I think it's good to highlight life after football, but to think Clemson is one the schools they highlight along with Cal like they're in the same tier is annoying. I feel like EVERY GT player has an internship or co-op with a prominent company and they highlight those 7 who interned at adobe.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ment-programs-preparing-players-life-football
Boy, do I ever agree with you. Either the writers are not doing much research, or Tech isn't publicizing the FACT that we have a helluva lot more than 7 interns out there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
the responses have a very similar feel to them....someone else receives positive publicity and we all talk about how much better we are at whatever thing is being discussed. What IF we had an athletic association with some marketing savvy* who could get out in front of these things such that GT would be mentioned in articles of this nature?. Where is the story most compelling and likely to have the most positive impact on potential SA's...on a website where GT alums gather to pound our chests about how great we are or on ESPN? We may well be ahead of Cal and/or Clemson in this type of thing, but if no one knows, is it helping us recruit? I know we have had interns but IS our efforts in this area greater than what is described in this article? I hope so, but it's pure speculation on my part. Sometimes it seems the schools we sort of make fun of have way more business savvy than the people at Tech.

Bottom line...let's not blame writers for failing to do research. Let's do the research and get it to the writers. Makes their job easier (they are sportswriters after all) and we control the story.

*disclaimer: post based on historical data. Hoping Todd can make a difference going forward.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Engineering types seem to have a kryptonite like reaction to the idea of effective marketing. They think if the lights turn on and the bridge doesn't fall down that should be marketing enough.

As marketing, PR and media relations have become more important in big time collegiate sports , Tech has lagged behind because it requires a set of skills that are often dismissed and sometimes reviled by the folks who Tech is meant for.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Engineering types seem to have a kryptonite like reaction to the idea of effective marketing. They think if the lights turn on and the bridge doesn't fall down that should be marketing enough.

As marketing, PR and media relations have become more important in big time collegiate sports , Tech has lagged behind because it requires a set of skills that are often dismissed and sometimes reviled by the folks who Tech is meant for.
That combined with the need to hire folks with those skills. Who wants to spend money on talent we don't really need?

That mindset means you have already fallen behind when you realize you do need it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
the responses have a very similar feel to them....someone else receives positive publicity and we all talk about how much better we are at whatever thing is being discussed. What IF we had an athletic association with some marketing savvy* who could get out in front of these things such that GT would be mentioned in articles of this nature?. Where is the story most compelling and likely to have the most positive impact on potential SA's...on a website where GT alums gather to pound our chests about how great we are or on ESPN? We may well be ahead of Cal and/or Clemson in this type of thing, but if no one knows, is it helping us recruit? I know we have had interns but IS our efforts in this area greater than what is described in this article? I hope so, but it's pure speculation on my part. Sometimes it seems the schools we sort of make fun of have way more business savvy than the people at Tech.

Bottom line...let's not blame writers for failing to do research. Let's do the research and get it to the writers. Makes their job easier (they are sportswriters after all) and we control the story.

*disclaimer: post based on historical data. Hoping Todd can make a difference going forward.
Todd spoke to this almost directly in his Toddcasts and the State of the AA, within the context of branding and getting our message out there. He wants to tell the story of what happens after school as part of our branding image.

I've seen a few things via social media so far. We can do more to push the narrative nationally, and it seems Todd recognizes that. Results still TBD, imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

We do this already, I have read multiple articles over the years highlighting this very thing, albeit mostly on local outlets. I guess we could do more, but there are limits due to man power you know. Maybe TS will increase our efforts, who knows?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

Bingo!!

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson is the reigning 2017 National Champions and deserve some love. But what sets them apart is that they do have that brand new whiffle bat diamond in their player facility along with the finest coloring book collection in the entire Power 5 Conference.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is the reigning 2017 National Champions and deserve some love. But what sets them apart is that they do have that brand new whiffle bat diamond in their player facility along with the finest coloring book collection in the entire Power 5 Conference.
When they color in the coloring books can they stay in the lines ?

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Only with the full compliment of a Field Judge, Referee, Sideline Judge, Backfield Judge, and a Crayola Consultant!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Todd spoke to this almost directly in his Toddcasts and the State of the AA, within the context of branding and getting our message out there. He wants to tell the story of what happens after school as part of our branding image.

I've seen a few things via social media so far. We can do more to push the narrative nationally, and it seems Todd recognizes that. Results still TBD, imo.

This.

CPJ is VERY active and supportive in getting our SAs opportunities in their chosen profession, or professional experience. He highly encourages internships durings the summer, and even has professional events targeted for his players. I believe he's done this since he's gotten to GT. Our coaches care about what happens AFTER they've completed their eligibility, not just when they're playing for them. That's not lip service, that's our coaches acting like caring father figures.

You know who's dropping the ball? GT sports information department. We've got guys doing investment banking internships, engineering internships, doing sports radio...you name it, I"m sure there's a player getting experience in it. Sure, we hear about it in the local press, but our SID needs to push it on a national level like Clemson and Cal are doing.

This is one of the things that bothers me about GT. We are reactive instead of being proactive. You know who was the original "smart school" that was having success? US...Georgia Tech. We've been a good program that recruits top level SAs since the 1990's, but GT never pushed it and marketed it like Stanford and Duke have been. They've turned it into a brand for their program whereas we let that ship sail without getting credit for how much success we've had on and off the field.

Hopefully Stansbury will help us turn the corner with the national press.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This.

CPJ is VERY active and supportive in getting our SAs opportunities in their chosen profession, or professional experience. He highly encourages internships durings the summer, and even has professional events targeted for his players. I believe he's done this since he's gotten to GT. Our coaches care about what happens AFTER they've completed their eligibility, not just when they're playing for them. That's not lip service, that's our coaches acting like caring father figures.

You know who's dropping the ball? GT sports information department. We've got guys doing investment banking internships, engineering internships, doing sports radio...you name it, I"m sure there's a player getting experience in it. Sure, we hear about it in the local press, but our SID needs to push it on a national level like Clemson and Cal are doing.

This is one of the things that bothers me about GT. We are reactive instead of being proactive. You know who was the original "smart school" that was having success? US...Georgia Tech. We've been a good program that recruits top level SAs since the 1990's, but GT never pushed it and marketed it like Stanford and Duke have been. They've turned it into a brand for their program whereas we let that ship sail without getting credit for how much success we've had on and off the field.

Hopefully Stansbury will help us turn the corner with the national press.
How do know our SID is not doing this? Just because the fish aren't biting doesn't mean the fisherman's got an empty hook in the water.

Also, how do you know Clemson and Cal are being "proactive" in this? Maybe the writer got the idea on his/her own and did a selective or cursory investigation. Maybe he looked into schools he was familiar with or were high profile, who knows?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How do know our SID is not doing this? Just because the fish aren't biting doesn't mean the fisherman's got an empty hook in the water.

Also, how do you know Clemson and Cal are being "proactive" in this? Maybe the writer got the idea on his/her own and did a selective or cursory investigation. Maybe he looked into schools he was familiar with or were high profile, who knows?

Sorry Cheese, I respect your loyalty to GT, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I'm going to have to pass on your ability to be impartial on GT's ability to get out of its own way. How do I know GT's SID isn't being more proactive? It's the same reason that GT is behind almost every school when it comes to marketing and "creating news". Remember GT's social media debacle a while ago? Meaning, our lack of presence on social media. In fact, some of our coaches were flat out calling it stupid. Well, after other schools were on the forefront of social media creating interest in their programs, and coaches were gaining advantages in recruiting, GT finally decided to join. There was a big joke floating around about CPJ finally getting one twitter (Remember the #BelieveIt photo?) The irony is, GT is an academic institution that prides itself on being the forefront of innovation, but it seems our sports department is out of step with that same belief.

Our coaches like to tout that 1 in 6 GT graduates is a millionaire. Great...well, let's expand on that and show recruits how our athletes become part of that "1 in 6". GT is one of the very few schools I can point to and say that we have athletes in EVERY field. From investment banking, real estate, practicing law, medicine, film, media...you name it, GT has an former athlete in the field well their way or already part of the "1 in 6". We've got athletes who are not major contributers leaving eligibility on the table because they're taking six figure jobs. How about a campaign that shows former GT athletes in almost every profession? GT is known as a "nerd engineering school", but the truth is GT puts out great professionals in pretty much any field you can think of. Maybe that's what's needed to make GT a "cool" school. Let's start a "Path to 1 in 6" campaign and highlight former SAs who have gone on to careers in certain fields beyond sports! SAs that want to get started in Real Estate? John Dewberry's firm Dewberry Capital is just blocks from campus....and contrast it to Tim Byerly who just graduated a couple of years ago and is well on his way to doing big things in Real Estate. Sports Broadcasting? Let's do a piece on John Salley whose a big presence in NBA media circles, and contrast it to Roddy Jones whose sports media career is just beginning....how Roddy got his start while still an SA! Guess what? Because GT is in Atlanta, our SAs can get out of practice and either walk or take a short MARTA ride to their dream job!

You think recruits wouldn't get excited about the opportunities if you show them tangible paths to getting to their dream careers if becoming a professional athlete isn't in the cards for them? Heck, I'm excited thinking about what great opportunities GT provides these SAs and I'm no longer eligible to get play college sports (nor am I good enough...but that's a minor detail. :) )

You know what though? Unfortunately, these are the type of ideas GT is short on. I mean, we've got coaches that truly care about players, a great location for our SAs to leverage, and a great track record of preparing our SAs for success. But the only things I see from GT is the same type of stuff other schools pump out in social media and it becomes lost in the mass of a million other messages. GT just isn't leveraging our advantages...specifically the SAs and former SAs themselves. It's going to be hard for any school to compete with GT in terms of how much success our former SAs have, that's our advantage and differentiator...unfortunately, where is GT in pushing that narrative? That's how I know our SID could be better. Because our message could easily be better, but it's not.

Like I said, Stansbury seems to "get it" in that regard so hopefully we'll start seeing more innovative campaigns and nice pieces on larger outlets. It's up to GT to get the news out there, and I think that's where we've failed repeatedly.