Pre-season Coaches Poll

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Good team but the 1990 team didn't face the strongest of competition. They beat #1 UVA but UVA finished the year #23, they beat #19 Nebraska that finished the year #24, they played #25 USC that finished unranked, and #15 Clemson turned out to probably be their toughest opponent who finished at #9. All of their other opponents were unranked and they finished that way.

Wins against ranked opponents matter more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, you're saying that we beat 4 ranked teams en route to the national championship. Sounds pretty good to me, so I'll side with the majority of college coaches who voted them the best football team in the country.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good team but the 1990 team didn't face the strongest of competition. They beat #1 UVA but UVA finished the year #23, they beat #19 Nebraska that finished the year #24, they played #25 USC that finished unranked, and #15 Clemson turned out to probably be their toughest opponent who finished at #9. All of their other opponents were unranked and they finished that way.

Wins against ranked opponents matter more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sagarin rated the ACC the toughest conference in 1990. When we played UVa , they were ranked No.1 for a reason. They had the beat collection of offensive talent in the country. Think Clemson last year. They just lost too many people during November and still should've beat the SEC champs in the Sugar Bowl. At the end of the year, nobody wanted to play Clemson who destroyed the B1G co-champs 30-0 in their bowl game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The UVA team we faced was not the same team that finished the year. UVA got decimated by injuries to big time playmakers. That actually started about a week before we played them as they lost an All-American tight end before our game.

No team had a better pedigree than we did at season's end that year. But we were never able to overcome the preseason bias and actually got screwed over in the bowl selection falling to the Citrus Bowl. Hell it took a phantom clipping call vs Notre Dame on what should have been another damn loss by Colorado in their bowl game. Eff Colorado....I'm still butthurt over the "shared" natty. Complete horse :poop: