Pre-Fall Depth Chart

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Given Height and Coombs are in that 230 range for an OLB/Edge I do think we’re trending lighter. Fine by me. We’ll have our big heavy in the middle (Zeek), we’ll have a couple 240 lb ends, and the LBs are smaller and lighter in that 220 range.

And as a note, I’m not concerned at all about size. Even the NFL is trending smaller, the best LBs today like Roquan Smith and Fred Warner are 25-30 lbs lighter than Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher for example. Same with DEs, with Bosa, Parsons, Watt, Crosby now in the 240-250 range instead of the 270-280s we used to see.
Speed kills, but they also have to be able to beat blocks. Find that and you probably have a player.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched some footage of Gore, our new DL from Miami via Ga State --> I'm even more excited about this guy. He is sneaky athletic and shows really good "telephone booth" quickness - you can really see that wrestling background.

Since I brought up transfers, anyone know much about Josh Beetham, TE from Michigan? He's a former QB that moved to TE at Michigan. Looks like we have him listed as a TE - he's pretty intriguing... https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/josh-beetham/

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched some footage of Gore, our new DL from Miami via Ga State --> I'm even more excited about this guy. He is sneaky athletic and shows really good "telephone booth" quickness - you can really see that wrestling background.

Since I brought up transfers, anyone know much about Josh Beetham, TE from Michigan? He's a former QB that moved to TE at Michigan. Looks like we have him listed as a TE - he's pretty intriguing... https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/josh-beetham/
Makius, Zeke and Thomas are all about 23 years old. I believe with their size, explosiveness and experience , we are looking at one salty group. Then you throw in the " youngster " Horace- this is one battle tested defensive interior. There is a certain team we all know whose media will tell you that their past defensive success all started with their big boys in the middle.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Given Height and Coombs are in that 230 range for an OLB/Edge I do think we’re trending lighter. Fine by me. We’ll have our big heavy in the middle (Zeek), we’ll have a couple 240 lb ends, and the LBs are smaller and lighter in that 220 range.

And as a note, I’m not concerned at all about size. Even the NFL is trending smaller, the best LBs today like Roquan Smith and Fred Warner are 25-30 lbs lighter than Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher for example. Same with DEs, with Bosa, Parsons, Watt, Crosby now in the 240-250 range instead of the 270-280s we used to see.
Yes. My favorite here on D was Fred Dean. He played at about 230, soaking wet and with weights in his shoes. He used to line up outside ahoulder of the opposing DTs, get down in his stance, and start going, "Barooom, barooom, barooom" then he would make a noise like he was scratching off at the snap. Bothered the OLs no end.

Also Deacon Jones deserves a shout. He weighed about 270, but one of his favorite stories was: "I always heard Bobby Mitchell was the fastest player in the league. I decided to let him get a step on me on one play to see if I could catch him from behind. (Pause) I could."

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Tatum has the size and athleticism to play at the next level. Tatums biggest problem was poor coaching he was out of position many times on defense or just simply over ran plays. I’m honestly excited to see what he can do under this new staff.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Tatum has the size and athleticism to play at the next level. Tatums biggest problem was poor coaching he was out of position many times on defense or just simply over ran plays. I’m honestly excited to see what he can do under this new staff.
Tatum could play a role with the D team in getting to the QB, getting more third down stops, and winning the turnovers ratio. We have done OK with turnover margin but if we want significant improvement on D we need a lot more QB pressure and more third down stops while maintaining a favorable turnover ratio. We have not seen what Santucci will do at GT on D but I believe it will be a more all out team effort with players like Tatum playing special roles in certain situations. Cannot wait to see!.