Practice

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Do they allow people to watch basketball practices?
Before 2012, official team practice starts Oct 15. That midnight is often referred to as midnight madness, supposedly started by Lefty Dresell at Maryland at 12:03 a.m. on October 15, 1971, on the track where he had 3,000 fans watch the team run one and a half miles. That may have motivated the players to come to the first practice in shape. Back in that day, from the time school started in September until Oct 15, we players played lots of unsupervised pickup games in the old Naval Armory in the NE corner of Grant Field. In reading the current NCAA rules on practice, my head hurt. I will leave that explaining to those who understand it. The answer to whether the practices are open to the public is up to the coach.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do they allow people to watch basketball practices?
If you're asking if every day people can show up to watch practice, it's highly unlikely.

NBA scouts, HS or unemployed college coaches, recruits during allowable contact periods, and significant boosters. Those are the most likely to be invited to watch practice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you're asking if every day people can show up to watch practice, it's highly unlikely.

NBA scouts, HS or unemployed college coaches, recruits during allowable contact periods, and significant boosters. Those are the most likely to be invited to watch practice.

IOW @Jack, stick close to dtm. He can probably get you in. Right, moneybagg yo?

Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember when Bobby Cremmins held a midnight madness practice and Dion Glover broke his ankle during the dunk contest. That was the last time Bobby did that.
I believe it was Dennis Scott's soph year they practiced at different places throughout the state. Saw them at then Dalton college hone of the roadrunners now. It was promoted. Kind of like the old braves caravan.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
CDS Act II in the works

I learned from one of my UConn coaching friends today that practices have changed since 2013, but Oct 15 is still significant as the date the entire team can practice team basketball (5 on 5 scrimmage). Until then, less than full team practice and conditioning can occur, but limited by a total number of hours. The math is the number of players in practice times the number of hours practiced for the student athletes enrolled. Not sure how many hours an individual can log before Oct 15, but that is managed to be in compliance with NCAA regs. That is why we see the enrolled players in the video in small numbers doing segments of the total team offense or defense and working on individual skill sets.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure why any fan would want to watch basketball practice. It is incredibly boring.
Because they are a fan.

Replace basketball with football, and this comment is one I would expect to see on the football board,where most of the posters are casual fans and aren't students of the game or the program.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Because they are a fan.

Replace basketball with football, and this comment is one I would expect to see on the football board, where most of the posters are casual fans and aren't students of the game or the program.
I understand your point. I played four years of high school basketball and two in college.

Fifteen minutes with the medicine ball and tipping ring. Then 10 minutes with peripheral vision drills and running the stands and repetitions of inbounds plays and how to defeat the press. Oh, not to mention the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options off every play. And those were repeated at every practice. Fans want to see guys draining treys and dunks and really cool passes on breaks. That's not practice. Oh, we scrimmaged. but no one won those scrimmages and that was not the goal. Then, after running our asses off for 90-120 minutes we shot 100 FTs when we only wanted to shower and find our girlfriend before opening our calc text book. The glamour of college basketball is not at practice.