Practice update

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Great. I have the game on TVO but have yet to watch it - didn't realize Perkins played. I couldn't watch the game live as we were at the UF-USC game (wife's a gator) and I have been waiting to watch the replay of the game until this weekend when my son will be working - he is a Clemson grad :)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
33, do you think we should play a 3 man front with Gamble, Green, Gotsis? or 4 with Freeman?

4....its better for a one gap scheme than a 3-4. clearly we can play 3-3 on passing downs. We haven't played a 3-4 this year though.

but, more importantly....freeman is better than the other linebacker....your best 11 on the field right now at GT in BASE is gamble, gotsis, freeman, green, nealy, davis, macordes.

if you switch to 4-2 then smith is in.

if you go 3-3 on passing, green is out and you go freeman, gotsis, gamble or even simmons for pure passing downs.

we will need to play true 4-3 vs UGA...which we haven't done much of this year. We will also have to play 4-2-5 to counter their 20 and 11 personnel with a slot WR and flash Demond out to the slot....we have done that A TON this year....

just gotta get the best 11 on the field and that includes freeman...he is one of our top 5 on D IMO

One thing I like about our D personnel and scheme this year is its tailored for smith to be in the box and cover slot with 11 and 20 personnel....its almost PERFECT to counter UGA offense...and we have had a ton of reps in it. The key will be DL getting some gap control.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
4....its better for a one gap scheme than a 3-4. clearly we can play 3-3 on passing downs. We haven't played a 3-4 this year though.

but, more importantly....freeman is better than the other linebacker....your best 11 on the field right now at GT in BASE is gamble, gotsis, freeman, green, nealy, davis, macordes.

if you switch to 4-2 then smith is in.

if you go 3-3 on passing, green is out and you go freeman, gotsis, gamble or even simmons for pure passing downs.

we will need to play true 4-3 vs UGA...which we haven't done much of this year. We will also have to play 4-2-5 to counter their 20 and 11 personnel with a slot WR and flash Demond out to the slot....we have done that A TON this year....

just gotta get the best 11 on the field and that includes freeman...he is one of our top 5 on D IMO

One thing I like about our D personnel and scheme this year is its tailored for smith to be in the box and cover slot with 11 and 20 personnel....its almost PERFECT to counter UGA offense...and we have had a ton of reps in it. The key will be DL getting some gap control.

I love it when you talk like this 33J:) thanks for putting this type of info out here. It makes us all a lot smarter.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Don't know why I didn't think about that until now, but yes, that is exactly the reason we've gone to the 4-2-5 base (and have tried to do that in the past with Wommack under CPJ). The message was that it fit better with what most of the other teams in our league are running on offense, but that's only because we're not going to come out and say, "That is the best defense against the friggin' dwag-holes". Ok, now I'm excited. I hope Demond Smith has the game of his life.

SethBayless

Georgia Tech Fan
Really need Perkins with Snoddy out. We have to have some kind of air attack against UGA. Which means Smelter is going to have to make some plays. Can't wait to see how the D in Athens after that Clemson game. And hopefully we can get the option attack going!