Practice day - #4

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
One of my concerns for this year is fumbles.

In 2008 and 2010, we lost 20 fumbles - in the other years (CPJ years) we only lost 10-12 or so.

I love all the new talent coming in to carry the rock and hope that they have good fundamentals w/r to holding on to the ball. A lot of youth behind the QB this year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I honestly feel like that play Justin made in the Orange Bowl made him famous.
He had more than one for sure, and being on national TV against a ranked opponent was a big deal. But: you could make a really good case that the game against FSU, also on national TV, did more for him than the Orange Bowl. Tell you what, I thought MSU had some good players, though I thought somewhat slow, but FSU's defense was stacked with outstanding athletes, the best team-wise in my mind GT played all year. The speed with which they closed on the ball was outstanding. And he lit the joint up. Didn't hurt to take 'em 97 yards to score in the last three minutes, either.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He had more than one for sure, and being on national TV against a ranked opponent was a big deal. But: you could make a really good case that the game against FSU, also on national TV, did more for him than the Orange Bowl. Tell you what, I thought MSU had some good players, though I thought somewhat slow, but FSU's defense was stacked with outstanding athletes, the best team-wise in my mind GT played all year. The speed with which they closed on the ball was outstanding. And he lit the joint up. Didn't hurt to take 'em 97 yards to score in the last three minutes, either.

At field level looks he like the guy in the Matrix - he moves as if time has slowed for all but him. Only way to stop him is to send 8 and just hope for fumble or tackle for loss. Then send 3 and 2 spies on JT and hope. Yes fsu were very good athletes and when our blocks were made too early they defeated them and made the plays. Great tune up for msu

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Eric, are there any plans on trying to get a GTSwarm rep at any of the coach/player availability opportunities this Spring?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Was lucky to be able to watch yesterday. Don't want to reveal anything on the field, but I was really impressed by intensity by both players and coaches. After the success of last season, it'd be easy to dial it back a notch (just human nature). If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought team was 3-11 instead of 11-3. Good to see the taste of winning has made them hungry for more.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Was lucky to be able to watch yesterday. Don't want to reveal anything on the field, but I was really impressed by intensity by both players and coaches. After the success of last season, it'd be easy to dial it back a notch (just human nature). If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought team was 3-11 instead of 11-3. Good to see the taste of winning has made them hungry for more.

Right on. I wonder how much of this is related to our improved recruiting. That is, simply going after hard-working student-athletes while being wary of recruiting prima donna type athletes that are accustomed to acclaim only because of their great athleticism. As long as our guys feel they have something to prove each and every day/week, they should do just fine each and every day/week. Eye of the tiger.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Right on. I wonder how much of this is related to our improved recruiting. That is, simply going after hard-working student-athletes while being wary of recruiting prima donna type athletes that are accustomed to acclaim only because of their great athleticism. As long as our guys feel they have something to prove each and every day/week, they should do just fine each and every day/week. Eye of the tiger.
A lot of factors, probably. But some of it may be the recruiting of better athletes. It is no secret we have struggled for that.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

I hope they are hungry. but after playing ball and watching Tech for 40 springs,the first scrimmage is always almost delirious with energy. It is mid-august when the enthusiasm s really tested.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing that may add to the intensity is the improved level of underclassmen we have coming up, they are competing for position and the older guys are gonna have to fight to hang on