Practice Day #10

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I really like Pat in the SDE spot, he showed some real promise there late in the season. I really hope (like everyone) that JHD makes his grades and that Gamble can focus on DE and won't have to play too much DT. Whitehead is imo way too light in the britches to play over there, except maybe in certain downs, 3-4th and long. I think/hope Ted will be able to come up with some badass blitz packages where he gets Freeman and Whitehead on the field together in various ways.
Should be no problem for CTR to come up with packages like you describe. Simmons and Freeman were both on the field a lot during the fourth quarter of the Orange Bowl. And both were moving around real well in spite of the guys across the line having an extra 30-40 pounds on them. Only problem I saw was how much they got held, which I think is a feature of the other team being able to get away with it more because of the size difference. This year everyone will be bigger.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we have the depth at DT we will use Gamble at SDE.

Is this due to his potential at DE or our lack of players at SDE? I thought he did a helluva job for us when he made the switch but he seems like a more natural fit for DT to my untrained eye.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this due to his potential at DE or our lack of players at SDE? I thought he did a helluva job for us when he made the switch but he seems like a more natural fit for DT to my untrained eye.
Imo it's been because lack of depth, he's a big boy and normally you de are more athletic and are faster so they are able to draw plays out, but I'm not 100% just thought I would give my input

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like Pat in the SDE spot, he showed some real promise there late in the season. I really hope (like everyone) that JHD makes his grades and that Gamble can focus on DE and won't have to play too much DT. Whitehead is imo way too light in the britches to play over there, except maybe in certain downs, 3-4th and long. I think/hope Ted will be able to come up with some badass blitz packages where he gets Freeman and Whitehead on the field together in various ways.

Would you say that Key Freeman was "too light in the britches" last year? Whitehead weighs as much as he did (and probably a little more) and he's more experience and was ranked higher coming out of high school. I think that Whitehead will do just fine if he wins the spot but i do like Gamble too.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Last year i think our guys were too young and unknown to get much respect from the refs, i think that will change this season, especially with Freeman getting the freshman All-American status. It drives me insane to see our guys getting blatently held with no flags!
Duke game was unbelievable. The blatant holding that Duke no calls were made; right in front of refs. . CPJ made a comment some time during the season that we had played 3 or 4 games without a holding call made on our opposition. IIRC he said that was ridiculous.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Would you say that Key Freeman was "too light in the britches" last year? Whitehead weighs as much as he did (and probably a little more) and he's more experience and was ranked higher coming out of high school. I think that Whitehead will do just fine if he wins the spot but i do like Gamble too.

I meant a little light to play SDE which i think is what the original poster was suggesting. I think he's gonna be a beast at WDE

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Good thing about gamble is he can play dt and de so even if he doesn't win the starting spot he can get a lot of playing time and we we shouldnt really lose a beat with him subbing in, if whitehead puts on 10 to 15 pounds also he will be dangerous imo

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Good thing about gamble is he can play dt and de so even if he doesn't win the starting spot he can get a lot of playing time and we we shouldnt really lose a beat with him subbing in, if whitehead puts on 10 to 15 pounds also he will be dangerous imo

I think we're all in agreement...the DL should be a strength of the team. Combined with the experience and promise of the secondary and an adequate LB corps, the defense could be scary-good.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think we can say the Dline will be a strength...not yet. I certainly hope it to be but they have lots of improving to do from last year.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we can say the Dline will be a strength...not yet. I certainly hope it to be but they have lots of improving to do from last year.
I should have said should be, but I do think we have the potential, I do agree with you, we still have improving to do and a lot of questions

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

Well let me be the first to say, if JHD is eligible, the D-line WILL be a strength of the team...undoubtedly. I'm saving this post so that I can brag about it in Dec. '15.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Overall the DL can be good, but isn't particularly fearsome. At the DE spots, we have the potential to be NASTY. It's a shame we don't have quality depth at DT, because I think our best SDE is actually Gotsis.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
Overall the DL can be good, but isn't particularly fearsome. At the DE spots, we have the potential to be NASTY. It's a shame we don't have quality depth at DT, because I think our best SDE is actually Gotsis.
I think that roof will get creative with his stunts and stuff if kallon plays really good at dt he can move Gotsis inside and outside and he can do that with gamble, with as atheletic as our d line should be there are so many different things we should be able to do!