Stats PPD Benchmarks for GT vs ND; How good are we?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last year, we ended the post season averaging 3.52 points per drive vs Pwr 5 opp, and allowing 2.46. However, if we look at just the last few games of last year:
vs UGA (w/o Overtime & Off doesn't get credit for Def FumRet TD)
Off PPD = 2.67 (3.44 w/credit for JT's TD)
Def PPD = 2.42

vs FSU
Off PPD = 3.89
Def PPD = 4.11

vs MissST
Off PPD = 4.45
Def PPD = 2.83

Now, over the last two games, we've had an off ppd of 5.38 and 5.72, which includes the significant substitution at the end. The only drives we failed to score a TD with our expected regular offense were the fumbles by MM vs Alcorn and Snoop vs Tulane, plus the punt vs Tulane. Our Def PPD is obviously less than 1 for both games.

At this point, we rely on significant conjecture, but it seems to me that we are much nearer end of last season form than beginning on offense and that our Defense is much improved.

ND's O scored about 3.1 ppd vs Tx and about 2.8 ppd vs UVA. In 2014, Tx was #7 in ppd allowed vs pwr 5 at 1.59 and UVA was #9 at 1.67. While it's possible that both D's are much worse this year, these numbers still suggest that ND has a formidable offense. Their D is tough to evaluate because they shut down TX but let UVA stay in the game.

With these numbers in mind, I think some reasonable benchmarks for the ND game are as follows:
................ Ouch ........ Whoops ............ OK .............WhooHoo
Offense: ..... 2.2 ............ 2.7 ................... 3.2 .............. 3.5
Defense: .... 3.5 .............3.2 ................... 2.7 .............. 2.2

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Last year, we ended the post season averaging 3.52 points per drive vs Pwr 5 opp, and allowing 2.46. However, if we look at just the last few games of last year:
vs UGA (w/o Overtime & Off doesn't get credit for Def FumRet TD)
Off PPD = 2.67 (3.44 w/credit for JT's TD)
Def PPD = 2.42

vs FSU
Off PPD = 3.89
Def PPD = 4.11

vs MissST
Off PPD = 4.45
Def PPD = 2.83

Now, over the last two games, we've had an off ppd of 5.38 and 5.72, which includes the significant substitution at the end. The only drives we failed to score a TD with our expected regular offense were the fumbles by MM vs Alcorn and Snoop vs Tulane, plus the punt vs Tulane. Our Def PPD is obviously less than 1 for both games.

At this point, we rely on significant conjecture, but it seems to me that we are much nearer end of last season form than beginning on offense and that our Defense is much improved.

ND's O scored about 3.1 ppd vs Tx and about 2.8 ppd vs UVA. In 2014, Tx was #7 in ppd allowed vs pwr 5 at 1.59 and UVA was #9 at 1.67. While it's possible that both D's are much worse this year, these numbers still suggest that ND has a formidable offense. Their D is tough to evaluate because they shut down TX but let UVA stay in the game.

With these numbers in mind, I think some reasonable benchmarks for the ND game are as follows:
................ Ouch ........ Whoops ............ OK .............WhooHoo
Offense: ..... 2.2 ............ 2.7 ................... 3.2 .............. 3.5
Defense: .... 3.5 .............3.2 ................... 2.7 .............. 2.2
Interesting.
Wonder what it would mean if Offense was 2.6
and Defense was 2.5 in the Notre Dame game and the game comes down to special teams and turnovers.

Just talking.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, sometimes a team gets more possessions than another (even without TOs or an onside kick). I wouldn't want to settle for 2.6 good guys vs 2.5 bad guys.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.
Wonder what it would mean if Offense was 2.6
and Defense was 2.5 in the Notre Dame game and the game comes down to special teams and turnovers.

Just talking.

It would mean that our offense isn't nearly as good as we think it is. Doing a TD+ worse than Navy last year and worse than UVA this year would not be encouraging.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Texas could not keep an offensive drive going and that put too much pressure on defense. A good defense can only do so much, and Texas D did a lot in the first 3Qs.

I really have no clue. I thought Alcorn would give GT a small challenge given SWAC championship. I thought Tulane would give GT a good show. We walked over both teams on both sides of the ball. The biggest re-occuring issue I have seen is missing the MLB. This will hurt us when we play better teams.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
With a new QB their offense may put a ton of pressure on their defense and leave them on the field most of the game. We gotta take advantage of this

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With a new QB their offense may put a ton of pressure on their defense and leave them on the field most of the game. We gotta take advantage of this

Yeah, I was thinking that if our offense performs like it seems then it will put their new QB under a lot of pressure. Last year, we were able to do that to d'oh U and Kaaya. I think they moved from riding Duke Johnson in part because they felt the need to score more quickly.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well, sometimes a team gets more possessions than another (even without TOs or an onside kick). I wouldn't want to settle for 2.6 good guys vs 2.5 bad guys.

Just to reiterate ... THIS^^^^

It'd take a minimum of 26 possessions to guarantee our victory. Based off our history, that'd mean a lot of Over Time possessions to get there.

Last edited: