Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think you're proving a point, but not the one you're after.
"If we keep passing the ball 5 times a game... " false
"... every year better be 2014" WTH? Does that have even a hint of fairness? So, if we pass a lot we can lose a lot of games, and it's fine. But, if we don't pass a lot we better win 12? I truly don't get it.

Collins has not been as successful as Monken and with greater relative advantages.
Elliot isn't even comparable. He's a coordinator at a school with unlimited resources. He might not even be successful at Temple or Army, much less GT.
Whisenhunt isn't comparable for obvious reasons.

If you want to go with one of the above, that's fine, but the argument that their resume compares favorably with Jeff Monken's is going to lose when anyone doesn't have anti-option blinders on.
If Todd chooses one of the above, I'll support it and have hope. I don't think I know everything, and Todd is the man in the position for a reason. My only non-negotiable is character.
My main issue is I think the option has a ceiling, and I don't think Jeff Monken is going to change or overcome that. I don't want to settle for that ceiling, but hey, I'm not going to stop being a Tech fan regardless. I didn't stop watching in 94 or during the 80s.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That said, I'll support whoever Todd picks.

I agree with this but ... the thing I learned from Jim Collins is that truly great organizations operate on a flywheel. The flywheel grinds slowly, turning and turning, building on past experience ... until it begins to create its own momentum ... and then ... moving faster and faster until it turns on its own.

That's why changing systems is so deadly. One must always start at zero. I think it's far better to keep the flywheel turning ... and Monken is how you do that. Keep CPJ engaged as a consultant ... but turn that flywheel and make competitors fear us.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I'd be fine with Collins. But does anyone feel like his tactics/style is a little disingenuous, panderly, and overall corny? Like, the swag chalice seems pretty gimmicky and kind of lame to me - maybe I'm just the only one, but it just feels a little off and kind of like he's trying too hard.
That's what I thought about Dabo's act, and NO I'm not saying Collins is going to be as successful as Dabo. Some people have been throwing around Kendal Briles name. There's a difference between corny and dirtbag. That's where I draw limits.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
My main issue is I think the option has a ceiling, and I don't think Jeff Monken is going to change or overcome that. I don't want to settle for that ceiling, but hey, I'm not going to stop being a Tech fan regardless. I didn't stop watching in 94 or during the 80s.
In 2014, we were 1 game away from the CFP. AT GEORGIA TECH, IN 2014!! That's a high stinkin' ceiling. ;)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The BOR (made up of UGAG homers) would not even consider such a thing, but I like thinking about it.

They might go for it if it could be presented as a money-saving measure. They're just across the street and consolidation might be more economical.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
In 2014, we were 1 game away from the CFP. AT GEORGIA TECH, IN 2014!! That's a high stinkin' ceiling. ;)
Obviously, I'm talking more than a one season ceiling. I'm talking program consistency. I don't want to rehash what I've already pointed out about 2014. It's not like Paul didn't try to make that happen every year. 4 years later is enough time to see it for the anomaly it was. If CPJ thought that could be the norm, you think he'd have retired?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
That's just not true. Beating fsu would not have gotten us in. Beating dook and/or unc and then fsu would have.

OK, so we were 1 game and 1 holding call against UNC away. Closer to getting in than most programs considering only 10 programs have participated in the CFPO in its 5 years of existence.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The BOR definitely has and has used the power to keep calculus in the curriculum.
Let me get this straight. The BOR, which is heavily dominated by UGA grads, dictates that we must keep a calculus course in all our majors, even though it is an irrevalent requirement in some majors? If this is true, how do they defend their position?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Lots of good stuff in this from Monken in the FCS title game vs. NDSU. Tweaks. Shotgun spread stuff.

We've still got people on here talking about the 3O? LMAO

Hey, if we hire Monken, will you still piss all over every pro-option post?

Collins is gonna recruit his butt off for GT. When we get that top 20 recruiting class it's gonna be a good feeling

Will it be as good of a feeling as you had after the Orange Bowl? Or any of the wins over UGAg? (I think it might be for you...)

*I still like Collins if we change directions. I've made that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.