Potential Grad Transfer rule change

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA is going to vote on a rule change in two weeks that would require any school taking a grad transfer to commit 2 years to that student even if they only have one year of eligibility left. in essence, you have a dead year on the scholarship.

There is a feeling that the original rationale for the rule has been co-opted and most of the SA's using them aren't really interested in school.

Would affect football and men and women's basketball.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ail-the-growing-number-of-graduate-transfers/

slugboy

Staff member
Hmmm. So “we’re worried that graduate transfers won’t finish their graduate degrees quickly” leads to a policy of “we’re going to dock scholarships so hard if they don’t finish within a year that graduate transfers will be rare”. Even if a student player would finish in a year, their scholarship might be burned by someone who didn’t, or the other coach may not be willing to take the risk.

This doesn’t seem pro-student or pro-athlete.

I got a graduate degree, I’m pro-academics, and this just seems like a way to stop transfers to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So basically it is making grad transfers like normal transfers. Sit a year to transfer, just with the possibility of saving a year.

I like that rule. It rewards players who are actually transferring to get a graduate degree by guaranteeing them a scholarship for the duration of their graduate program, and doesn't hurt them because they won't have to sit out a year, while de-incentivizing schools from going the rent a player route because if they want a transfer who doesn't have to sit out it will have to be a legit graduate degree level player who is serious about getting the degree, not just wanting an opportunity to showcase his basketball skills somewhere else.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does the rule require that the athlete get the second year of paid for scholarship? I thought it was simply a year that the school limit went down by 1 ship overall?

Seems to go against the trend / thought that athletes should have more flexibility to move/transfer than less.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
"The rule would be a nod more toward academics, requiring schools to commit a scholarship to the length of the pursuit of the graduate degree. In most cases, that's two years."

You can give a scholarship to someone even if they are no longer eligible. It isn't done for obvious reasons, but I don't see how a school can commit to a scholarship without someone being on the receiving end of it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Wait, so the NCAA wants to force a two year commitment to grad students, but will still allow single year commitments to undergrads?

I could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it working. Seems a bit hypocritical.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wait, so the NCAA wants to force a two year commitment to grad students, but will still allow single year commitments to undergrads?

I could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it working. Seems a bit hypocritical.
Ummm, it is the NCAA. Hypocritical is their middle name.....