Postgame: UGA 31-GT 23

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Seeing a mix at the moment
Seeing too many whining about the win blaming the refs or the fact that they had injured players.

At the moment it feels like we're taking this rivalry more serious than them, as they continue to look past us to their out of state rival.
They seem to be taking this win for granted in some respects.

Here's to hoping we shake it up next year.
There are years of reasons for them to take a win for granted.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he held - I'm going to watch again but on replay I didn't see a hold.
#18 held, It was actually after Rutherford had past #18 and the guy he held. That was the 2nd guy he blocked on the play. Unfortunate the defender pulled away from him and his right arm extended with a hand full of red jersey. Tough call that often is not called.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I really like singleton, but I thought he shoulda coulda made both plays in bounds. The touchdown would have taken some doing, but it was possible with a little better positional awareness and body control.

I was also frankly shocked that the dwag db ran right with him on the long run from scrimmage that almost went for a td. I didn’t think anyone on the field would be able to match his 10.2 100m speed. Maybe the db had an angle on him. I need to rewatch to see.
No chance to catch the TD inbounds. He was double covered and the safety was inside making a throw there very high risk. It would have taken a perfect throw to ba a TD. The throw was a bit too close to the sideline. Now if Singleton was 6'5" maybe he has a chance.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
My thoughts on the game last night, in no particular order:

1. I told @awbuzz I'd love to see it close at half and go into the 4th competitive. We did that. NO moral victories but at least we looked like we belonged on that field.
2. We played extremely well on the OL last night and were able to run the ball against uga. Getting to the second level was tough but we had 4-5 yards available almost every time we ran it.
3. Defense stepped up just enough against a very talented O to keep it close.
4. Depth is going to be critical for us. We need to not only build quality 2 deeps but also get the third and fourth string built up as well.
5. You can't convince me the best QB on the field last night played for uga. King is a leader and IMO every bit as talented.
6. We are moving in the right direction. In the preseason I said I thought the offense would improve this year and the defense would regress due to losses there. I don not expect the Offense to take off and the defense to tank, but with another year of coaching I think our defense will only get better.
7. uga fans are just terrible. At one point late in the game after the last uga TD, one of our players was down for almost three minutes. The mutts in the upper east and upper north began loud uga! and bulldog! chants while our player was down. Classless.
8. Whatever Cabrera and Batt thought they were doing to protect our house didn't work. uga fans were at least 70% of attendance last night.
Seems like other posters haven’t taken kindly to the announcers or anyone pointing out point #8. It was definitely harder to tell than 2 years ago when the stadium was 70-80% red at noon but it was definitely similar this year (I was at both games). Hopefully the people who feel strongly will get their butts in the seats for future games against the mutts in Atlanta

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The past 5 encounters with UGA have ended up:
2022: 37-14
2021: 45-0
2019: 52-7
2018: 45-21
2017: 38-7

That's a total of 217-49 in those games with our mouthy neighbors to the east.

It will take more than one 6-6 season to win back folks. Even in our relatively good seasons, UGA often approaches 50% of the stadium since we cannot seem to sell more than 40K tickets to our own even in the good years. That 15K unsold tickets alone is almost 30% of capacity. Add in the 5K or so that their AA gets, and you move that number to almost 40% in the best of years. It's been this way as long as I can remember.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts on the game last night, in no particular order:

1. I told @awbuzz I'd love to see it close at half and go into the 4th competitive. We did that. NO moral victories but at least we looked like we belonged on that field.
2. We played extremely well on the OL last night and were able to run the ball against uga. Getting to the second level was tough but we had 4-5 yards available almost every time we ran it.
3. Defense stepped up just enough against a very talented O to keep it close.
4. Depth is going to be critical for us. We need to not only build quality 2 deeps but also get the third and fourth string built up as well.
5. You can't convince me the best QB on the field last night played for uga. King is a leader and IMO every bit as talented.
6. We are moving in the right direction. In the preseason I said I thought the offense would improve this year and the defense would regress due to losses there. I don not expect the Offense to take off and the defense to tank, but with another year of coaching I think our defense will only get better.
7. uga fans are just terrible. At one point late in the game after the last uga TD, one of our players was down for almost three minutes. The mutts in the upper east and upper north began loud uga! and bulldog! chants while our player was down. Classless.
8. Whatever Cabrera and Batt thought they were doing to protect our house didn't work. uga fans were at least 70% of attendance last night.
Better than 90% 2 seasons ago, but I agree, the attendance stats for this game do suck for GT. If we start winning a few, attendance will improve to respectability at least.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really like singleton, but I thought he shoulda coulda made both plays in bounds. The touchdown would have taken some doing, but it was possible with a little better positional awareness and body control.

I was also frankly shocked that the dwag db ran right with him on the long run from scrimmage that almost went for a td. I didn’t think anyone on the field would be able to match his 10.2 100m speed. Maybe the db had an angle on him. I need to rewatch to see.
Yep. I told my wife on that play that the NFL wide receivers can catch that with both feet in bounds. It takes top end talent & lots of practice, but I agree it could be done.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Better than 90% 2 seasons ago, but I agree, the attendance stats for this game do suck for GT. If we start winning a few, attendance will improve to respectability at least.
I would rather those seats held GT butts just like everyone else on the Swarm. But, right now, GT needs the ticket revenue. I say, uga fans why not buy season tickets for 2025 to make sure you have a seat. Same with Clemson and UNC fans. But those tickets.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Clemson is no longer a permanent opponent. Georgia is the only team we play annually for the foreseeable future. I’m not sure how we’re going to develop or re-kindle rivalries when we aren’t playing games against our supposed rivals.
True I forgot about that dumb scheduling…bummer. Can we at least get Auburn on the OOC schedule regularly like uga-Clemson have done? Still our 3rd-most played opponent all-time

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even with their injuries, they had umpteen 5-stars to our zero 5-stars. They had oodles of four-stars to our handful. Despite this, the Jackets stood toe to toe with them. I don't know where you get the idea they "played poorly". I think you're just assuming that because they didn't blow us off the field or come anywhere near that. What I saw was Tech playing a solid game, not them playing poorly.

You have a right to your opinion, but you somehow don't seem to understand that building a team takes time. If you go on a trip, do you complain as soon as you get out of the driveway that you're not there yet? That's my impression, that you would just complain all the way to your destination, until you finally and mercifully arrive. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Why aren't we there yet?"
Can you explain what the trip is for beating UGA? Are you expecting us to build talent equal to theirs? Are you expecting us to significantly out coach them? They are always going to have umpteen 5 stars to our zero 5 stars. We have to take advantage of games where they are banged up, turning the ball over and getting bad penalties. We don't get these chances often.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One of the things that use to make me sick watching our defense play against good teams was watching our DL get pushed back 2-3 yards before the QB even handed the ball off.

Last night, there were MANY times I saw OUR OL push UGA's DL back 2-3 yards before our RBs got the ball. You don't rush for over 200 yards on UGA if your OL isn't doing a bit of manhandling.

Guys (and ladies), Brent Key is silently and steadily improving this team. Everything starts in the trenches, and last night, I would say our OL got the better of their DL. How often have we been able to say that?

Now let's work on the other side of the ball, and next year this can be a VERY dangerous team.
The desire was there last night. Extra effort the entire game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You know what I really like about Brent Key? He HATES Georgia. He hates them with a passion. He wants to beat them more then anybody else on our schedule. That will take the program in a good direction if the recruiting holds up.
He played for GOL who also had an intense dislike for them. I heard that one of our younger players came to a team meeting in a red shirt and GOL told him not to wear red to team meetings. He did it again and GOL let him have it. Told coach he thought he was kidding. He wasn't.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Re: Buster Faulkner

Remember his friend who tweeted last year saying he’d donate like 500K if we hired BF? That was one of, if not the first mention of BF I heard last year. I think it really got the ball rolling on his hiring.

Maybe that friend will re-up so we can keep him!

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Penn State needs an new OC. Since Moorhead left to be the HC at Mississippi State their OCs have sucked. They have a lot of talent on offense but very poor plans on how to use the talend and their execution is well below their talent level.

Their defense is for real though!
I agree. I thought Mike Yurcich would get it done because he’s been good everywhere he’s been and he was good here but should’ve done better I guess. The only games we’ve lost in 2 years is to top 5 teams Michigan and Ohio St they’ve just been better. Penn St identity has always been defense with an offense that didn’t beat us…the offense beat us in the 4 losses the last 2 years. It’s time to try something else.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The amount of whining and excuses I'm seeing today is laughable. Bunch of sore winners not realizing how good they have had it. One guy said to me, that this was our Superbowl and no UGA fans take this match as serious as we do. Or that they don't base their entire season on this game
They may not base their entire season on the one game (yet), but they do base their entire identity on their football team's performance which is so, so much worse.