Postgame: UGA 31-GT 23

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was laughing at the shot of “this stadium is mostly red” then they show the specific visitors section. The stadium may have been mostly red but choosing to show the visitor section which is always the other team’s colors was a bold move that only people familiar with Bobby Dodd would notice

Yeah that was a 'tell me you have an agenda without telling me you have an agenda' moment.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Cant add much more about the play that has already been said, proud of their effort. It always hurts to lose to the mutts, however I felt much worse - disgusted - with the performances against BG and BC.

My observations about the crowd. In spite of most of the upper decks in red, the Tech fans were very energized and very vocal for most the game. Their mini-band was relegated to the upper southeast corner, much smaller group than in previous years. With the Tech band playing almost nonstop, and add in the PA bumper music, it was nice to drown out most the mutt noise.

It’s been a (mostly) fun season, and I am encouraged about the future of the program.
A longing fulfilled is a Tree of Life (Prov 13:12).
Regarding their band. It was all you could hear on tv. It was incessantly annoying from start to finish. I assumed it was probably a result of where their band was positioned in relation to the microphones that were picking it up. At least that was my hope.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was expecting this game to look like Clemson 2. Was so pleased to see our offense look do good. Two plays haunt me. The first is I think we should have gone for the 4th and 1 in the ref zone. We needed every point considering we could not stop them. The second was the holding call against us in the red zone. We had made a nice run for a first down and the hold did not effect the play. If we made TDs both times...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We played hard the whole game, would have liked to win but I find it interesting anyone would question the effort.

Mutt tightened the pass coverage up once they got 21-13 and got 9 straight incompletions plus a sack. What surprised me at that point was we were able to sustain the run with them knowing we were going to run. I'm going to miss the Smith and Haynes combo, can't wait to see who we got next year with Haynes.

We basically lost this game not being able to stop Milton until the possibility of winning the game was slim. The fact we fought back, scored 10 pts in the 4th and came within a couple miracles of winning speaks volumes about the players and coaching staff.

If you were a fence rider like me with the Key hire who was hoping he would revitalize the program & was not part of the previous regime stink, I'm not sure how you'd not be coming around by now. We had 2 bad games against BC and BG, but mostly we've played pretty damn solid football the remainder of the season despite some weaknesses in some critical areas. Other areas have improved substantially.

Go Jackets!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, I really think they were diagonal kickoffs, in an attempt to kick them high enough to force the UGA returner into a fair catch.

The first diagonal attempt was good. It forced the UGA returner to call for a fair catch, somewhere on or near or behind the 20-yard line. I can’t remember exactly where the ball was spotted — will need to watch a replay to confirm. But it did result in a fair catch, with no return.

The second and third attempted diagonal kickoffs were not executed high enough and resulted in long returns.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I was happy we were competitive, and I think on offense we looked really good. Defense played hard and thru to the end, we are just behind on the D side - they were opening huge, huge holes for their running game. After the entire year, I have to say that I'm impressed with what Key has done. His big thing when he became the head coach was developing an identity for the team around toughness, working hard and executing. I feel like I've seen toughness from Day 1, and I feel like the team progressed really well on execution over the course of the season. On offense last night, I don't think you can quibble with anything honestly.

My main thought after last night: if we can figure out the defense we can be really good. I don't know if that's a coaching thing or not, but it certainly is a personnel thing - we just need more big dudes and we need the ability to rush the QB.

I also wanted to point out that while Deion Sanders got (and continues to get) all of these accolades and attention, they ended up 4-8 and 1-7 in conference while losing their last 6 games. Key took over a total clusterF and went 4-3 in conference last year, and 5-3 this year. I'll take Key any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The two Singleton out of bound catches were both just huge gamechangers. If he makes that catch on the first possession we go on to score at least 3 imo, and that out of bounds catch in the endzone going into halftime rather than a missed fieldgoal would have been a massive score for us.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I was happy we were competitive, and I think on offense we looked really good. Defense played hard and thru to the end, we are just behind on the D side - they were opening huge, huge holes for their running game. After the entire year, I have to say that I'm impressed with what Key has done. His big thing when he became the head coach was developing an identity for the team around toughness, working hard and executing. I feel like I've seen toughness from Day 1, and I feel like the team progressed really well on execution over the course of the season. On offense last night, I don't think you can quibble with anything honestly.

My main thought after last night: if we can figure out the defense we can be really good. I don't know if that's a coaching thing or not, but it certainly is a personnel thing - we just need more big dudes and we need the ability to rush the QB.

I also wanted to point out that while Deion Sanders got (and continues to get) all of these accolades and attention, they ended up 4-8 and 1-7 in conference while losing their last 6 games. Key took over a total clusterF and went 4-3 in conference last year, and 5-3 this year. I'll take Key any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
Yup, the "we should have hired Prime" folks have gotten real quiet around here

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The two Singleton out of bound catches were both just huge gamechangers. If he makes that catch on the first possession we go on to score at least 3 imo, and that out of bounds catch in the endzone going into halftime rather than a missed fieldgoal would have been a massive score for us.
The first one was made up for by the forced fumble after the punt and subsequent TD. In other words, we got the TD, anyway. The second one looked fairly impossible to catch to me and keep a foot in.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Yup, the "we should have hired Prime" folks have gotten real quiet around here
The prime show in CO was destined to be a clown show all along. It would have been no different here. Key is 10x better choice.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That out of bounds catch to end the first half was on King. Singleton had a step on the DB and safety. If the ball was thrown a foot or two to the left, that's a TD.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The first one was made up for by the forced fumble after the punt and subsequent TD. In other words, we got the TD, anyway. The second one looked fairly impossible to catch to me and keep a foot in.
I really like singleton, but I thought he shoulda coulda made both plays in bounds. The touchdown would have taken some doing, but it was possible with a little better positional awareness and body control.

I was also frankly shocked that the dwag db ran right with him on the long run from scrimmage that almost went for a td. I didn’t think anyone on the field would be able to match his 10.2 100m speed. Maybe the db had an angle on him. I need to rewatch to see.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I really like singleton, but I thought he shoulda coulda made both plays in bounds. The touchdown would have taken some doing, but it was possible with a little better positional awareness and body control.

I was also frankly shocked that the dwag db ran right with him on the long run from scrimmage that almost went for a td. I didn’t think anyone on the field would be able to match his 10.2 100m speed. Maybe the db had an angle on him. I need to rewatch to see.
On that long run, as soon as he pulled up and tried to juke, I thought it was a mistake. Judging from Singleton's reaction after the play, he thought so, too. If he just keeps running, he probably does get knocked out of bounds (I think the guy did have the angle on him), but we'd have the ball on the three instead of the thirteen. But these decisions are made on the spur of the moment, and I can see why he did it - he figured it was his only chance to score on the play and he wanted the end zone. Singleton's done a lot more right than wrong and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the bowl game and beyond.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We played hard the whole game, would have liked to win but I find it interesting anyone would question the effort.

Mutt tightened the pass coverage up once they got 21-13 and got 9 straight incompletions plus a sack. What surprised me at that point was we were able to sustain the run with them knowing we were going to run. I'm going to miss the Smith and Haynes combo, can't wait to see who we got next year with Haynes.

We basically lost this game not being able to stop Milton until the possibility of winning the game was slim. The fact we fought back, scored 10 pts in the 4th and came within a couple miracles of winning speaks volumes about the players and coaching staff.

If you were a fence rider like me with the Key hire who was hoping he would revitalize the program & was not part of the previous regime stink, I'm not sure how you'd not be coming around by now. We had 2 bad games against BC and BG, but mostly we've played pretty damn solid football the remainder of the season despite some weaknesses in some critical areas. Other areas have improved substantially.

Go Jackets!
I believe that you are what you are. However, clean those two games up and we had a great chance at 7-5 (not counting the Miami game, which, BTW, we won with our huge effort - in addition to Miami's stupidity). Hold on to the Louisville game and we're possibly 8-4. That's how close this team was, however, we did pull out 2 last minute wins so it does tend to balance out... but that BGSU game just really sticks in the craw. Still, a good season against a pretty tough schedule.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
They sat Brock Bowers and the other guys because they had INJURIES which prevented them from playing. Bowers wanted to play but was limping hard in warmups, even the announcers mentioned it and questioned why he had his helmet on on the sideline when he obviously couldn't play. Yes everyone knows what a trap game is, and they might have gotten caught thinking this win would be easier than it was, but acting like they were practicing for Bama all week and not Tech like you originally claimed is just silly wrong.
but--ask Wash and Ok st .fsu, and Alabama was very LUCKY.If you don't bring at leastan A minus game you may have trouble.