Postgame: UGA 31-GT 23

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Fairly competitive game. We played UGA about as close as anyone this year or pretty much the last 3 years. We really need some DLs and LBs. Don’t know what happened to Stewart on the kickoffs (injured?), really hurt us. Good coaching overall, but several questionable decisions (going for 4th and 7 at midfield, not going for 2 after last TD, onsides kick with 4 minutes and 3 TOs). We really blew it by not snapping the ball before they reviewed the tipped ball. We were at the line ready to go, then backed off and looked to the sideline. I wanted us to go for 2 on the last TD, then if we scored again, go for 2 for the win. If we can find someone who can do for the defense what Faulkner has done for the offense, we could be good. Overall, very positive year, now recruit, recruit, recruit.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
When he said that they keep winning in Atlanta because it’s a home game for them, I was so pissed! They may outnumber us even in our own stadium, but that was such a rude, insulting comment! What a jerk!
One that ticked me off was after the very first run from them the announcer said "there he goes through that leaky Tech defense." Like WTF it was the first f-ing play and you are already dissing the defense.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I hated that we lost the game but I loved that our offense played so physical. I can recall many games where our O players were tossed around like rag dolls by uga's D. Not tonight! Our RB's were delivering shots and always falling forward. We have very few negative plays on O outside of a few unfortunate bad passes/drops (a bit of both in some cases).

A few random thoughts:
  1. I thought we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 vs. taking the FG simply b/c we were not getting stopped for no gain on running plays. We had offensive momentum and we were going to need TD's to win the game. It seemed even more odd when we went for it on 4th and 1 on our side of the 50 on our next possession. However it was not the wrong call either :)
  2. I thought at the end of the 1st half we should have used our TO's when they had the ball 1st and goal. We could have gotten the ball back with a lot more time to do something.
  3. I am very curious to know what happened to our kickoffs. For a while this season we were able to kick it deep in the EZ for a touchback almost every time, then a few games ago we stopped being able to do that. Maybe an injury to Stewart?
  4. Our D did get two turnovers and forced a few punts. However they could not hold them to FG's in the red zone.
  5. I believe our team got better as they year progressed and man I hope we can win our bowl game to build momentum going into next year, plus we would finish with a winning season!

Go Jackets!
#3 is one I have been dying for an answer to. It has been asked multiple times but never answered. Something must have happened to Stewart cause he has changed his kicking.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
One that ticked me off was after the very first run from them the announcer said "there he goes through that leaky Tech defense." Like WTF it was the first f-ing play and you are already dissing the defense.
The only problem is that you were pissed at his statement instead of being inside the stadium and not watching it on TV.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The only problem is that you were pissed at his statement instead of being inside the stadium and not watching it on TV.

Politely: **** off. You don’t know everyone’s life. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons why someone doesn’t attend a game. Your comment is implying “bad fandom” or whatever. Why assume the worst?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Uga will wake up number 2 in the CFP ratings. They had to impress a committee. Beating a 6-6 team with a loss to Bowling Green by only 8 is not impressive. They need to beat us easily enough to throw out the second team in the second half and they didn't. Situation now is, lose to Bama and they're out. All the pressure is on them and a pissed of Saban is coming to town.

We did better than anyone in the nation outside of our lockerroom thought we could. Dang proud of our guys! Finish them off bama.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I ****ing hate moral victories but I'll take competing over what we've seen the past few years any day.

King missed a lot of throws and that's what ultimately decided it. Hard to expect that level of perfection though.

Buster called a phenomenal game though.
I think the fact that we never even slowed down their RB was at least as responsible for the result of the game. He tore us apart.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Politely: **** off. You don’t know everyone’s life. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons why someone doesn’t attend a game. Your comment is implying “bad fandom” or whatever. Why assume the worst?
Buy season ticket and donate it to gtaa or a coach would be a nice gesture . They have many friends or know relatives of players that who would enjoy the game.

The Uga game cemented some season long things in my mind

Offense
Key hiring Buster is a big win. Play Calling has been continuously being adjusted by going with what works.

Also, Buster found a short tough and fast wr and moved him to rb. This guy is near top of acc in rushing. In fact , Gt has 3 rushers in top 15 of acc and they all average at top of acc in yds/attempts (6 yds)

Lookout, when the receivers and qb have more familrity. Really look out if #1 comes back healthy or we get a stud wr portal guy. King needs to shorten his step.

Picking Dontae Smiths to run the slant off tackle (no bouncing around in hole) got us ahead of schedule but still threatened a big gain.. Opened up the pitch and fake pitch qb keep w easier blocking angles.

Ol needs to give cleaner pocket when its a pass situation. Imo, we need to give the freshmen a chance next spring.

FG kicker - Key's pick of Burr is looking like a long term solution. (TFP screwed up Wells who never missed inside 40).

Defense
What can we expect since TFP spent a lot of his last days working on defense. Defense has been unacceptable. Key's rearranging the deck chairs has failed. Good effort by all but defense leaves WAY TO MANY gapping lanes for runners and wide open wr.
The lb and dl seldom play as a team. We look incompetent.

Lets hope we can find a bright DC who can mimic buster.

Imo, Batt /Key should have been looking so we can and pull the trigger on this hire so he can take advantage of portal.

Last edited:

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Super proud of the guys tonight, but definitely dissatisfied with the results. I’m wondering if king is fully healthy, just seems to have regressed since mid season and of course that could just be the opponent too but idk something seems a little off with him, hoping some time off helps him regroup or recover a little more
What???? i'm not seeing what you are seeing - maybe I'm wrong - makes me want to watch the replay

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Offensive line was impressive for the most part.
Yes! Penn St is 10-2 headed for a NY6 bowl and from what I’ve seen this year Ga Tech is better on the OL, WR and QB position but of course Penn St is better at every position on defense. I believe BK will get the defense fixed through the transfer portal because after a good year with Ga Tech making some noise these good football players that want to play now will want to be part of something good going on in Atlanta. It’s been a fun year watching the team fight like hell for every win and they were never intimidated playing on the road and that’s credit to the head coach. Let’s go get a bowl win and finish this with a winning season baby! Let’s go Ga Tech!

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I must say, I'm glad this morning to see how humble our fan base is after last night, realizing we are so close to *earning* this win,

UGA folks on FB seem to be on a high horse at the moment acting like it was the refs fault last night , or the fact that they had starters out, or saying it was a meaningless game. Then hearing about UGA fans barking their way into the student section or chanting while we had an injury .

We're taking the high road. Next year in Athens will be fun to watch

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Uga will wake up number 2 in the CFP ratings. They had to impress a committee. Beating a 6-6 team with a loss to Bowling Green by only 8 is not impressive. They need to beat us easily enough to throw out the second team in the second half and they didn't. Situation now is, lose to Bama and they're out. All the pressure is on them and a pissed of Saban is coming to town.

We did better than anyone in the nation outside of our lockerroom thought we could. Dang proud of our guys! Finish them off bama.
Doesn’t matter at this juncture. Be in the top four a week from today. I’d say it will be a coin toss between the SEC champ and Michigan for the one seed. If Michigan wins.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Great game but these night games are killing me. Playing in a scramble this morning at 9. Didn't get home until 12:30.