POSTGAME #GTvsVT GT 28-VT 27

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seeing this again reminds me of something I noticed - am I the only one who thinks that our tackling was generally better overall in the VT game compared to UVA/FSU? I thought perhaps it was due to the quality of the competition but not sure.
Like you, I don't know for sure whether it had to do with the quality of opposition, but the tackling did seem to be sharper against VT that either of those two games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
On the ball? The ball was being held on the opposite of where Charlie made contact and lower than where his helmet made contact. Charlie lowered his head and hit the QB with the crown of his helmet on the QB's helmet just below the earhole. This point of contact had nothing to do with the mouthpiece flying out? He, the Defense, and Thacker are very lucky.
I agree. I was surprised they picked up the flag.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I was surprised they picked up the flag.
I was also surprised that they picked up the flag, but not because I thought it was a penalty. There was a better angle of this that was definitive. Charlie caught the shoulder / chest area so hard the QB neck snapped back as if there was contact. There wasn't. It was a good tackle and would've been a travesty to lose him for essentially 2 games over it.

THAT SAID - Charlie needs to get his head up. If the QB had ducked his head as we see RBs do all the time, there would've been clear (and vicious) helmet to helmet contact and Charlie would've been watching from the sidelines , best case.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was also surprised that they picked up the flag, but not because I thought it was a penalty. There was a better angle of this that was definitive. Charlie caught the shoulder / chest area so hard the QB neck snapped back as if there was contact. There wasn't. It was a good tackle and would've been a travesty to lose him for essentially 2 games over it.

THAT SAID - Charlie needs to get his head up. If the QB had ducked his head as we see RBs do all the time, there would've been clear (and vicious) helmet to helmet contact and Charlie would've been watching from the sidelines , best case.
Yes, this was a good tackle in that it wasn't an infraction of the targeting rule (barely), but I'm even more concerned about the potential travesty of Charlie getting injured because of this habit he has of leading with his head. I cringe a little every time I see him doing this. He needs to lead with his shoulder, or anything except his head.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, this was a good tackle in that it wasn't an infraction of the targeting rule (barely), but I'm even more concerned about the potential travesty of Charlie getting injured because of this habit he has of leading with his head. I cringe a little every time I see him doing this. He needs to lead with his shoulder, or anything except his head.
Yep, when I typed "best case" at the end of my comment, that is what I had in mind too... but you would have needed to be there in my head when I typed it, since I wasnt real clear. :) if there was direct head to head impact on that play, both are in concussion protocol, if not injured.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't seen anyone else mention this but I thought VT was getting away with blocking in the back on every single punt return. Even the ones that were covered reasonably well I kept looking for a flag to be thrown. There'd be 3-4 guys who got past their blockers and then would get pushed into overrunning the play. Anyone can look good returning the ball if you block the first 3-4 guys in the back.

I thought Pyron played fantastic for a freshman QB. He had a few moments that will get cleaned up with just playing more, but overall his poise and toughness were outstanding. Lots of talented freshmen would crumble under getting hit that much.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen anyone else mention this but I thought VT was getting away with blocking in the back on every single punt return. Even the ones that were covered reasonably well I kept looking for a flag to be thrown. There'd be 3-4 guys who got past their blockers and then would get pushed into overrunning the play. Anyone can look good returning the ball if you block the first 3-4 guys in the back.

I thought Pyron played fantastic for a freshman QB. He had a few moments that will get cleaned up with just playing more, but overall his poise and toughness were outstanding. Lots of talented freshmen would crumble under getting hit that much.
It was a good performance in any case, but considering it was his just his second game, it was a great performance.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I re-watched the punt-6 return because it was featured on ESPN.com's game summary. There were a couple of blocks that contributed to our guys overrunning the play, but I didn't think they rose to the level of a penalty (full disclosure - I haven't read the actual rule on this). We did so much else wrong on that punt, and to their credit, VT's returner team looked well-coached, that I don't know if it would have made any difference in the outcome. I hope when our coaches showed them the tape that we repeated the "stay in your lane" mantra.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game on Sat in person. First, let me say that Blacksburg is a great venue, and I sat down low on the 40 yd line on the visitors' side. So much fun to watch the entrance with Sandman and hear the crowd sing. It was sloppy wet the first half (not pouring rain, but wet). The stadium was full of VT people - very, very few GT fans - the band was in the upper, upper corner and very difficult to hear. The noise level from the VT people was loud the entire game. Everyone around me was nice - and cheering for VT. When I'd yell or clap, everyone stared at me, but no one said anything. :) That was a great experience.

The game was interesting. Ups and downs, momentum shifts....one thing that was very noticeable was that the refs were not interested in calling close things. I did see a few holds that they missed on both sides, but I'd rather the refs let the kids play. Thought we might lose Charlie Thomas over the non targeting call after review. That was tough. Glad it came out on our side.

Pyron made a couple of errors, but overall I was very impressed with him. Jenkins with the one-hand grab - that was right in front of me (early in the game) - WOW! O got over 400 yds! So exciting!

And as frustrating as the punt returns were (all of them #11 got more than he should have) at least we didn't get one blocked. We almost got to their punter a couple of times.

And, as frustrating as it seemed end of third qtr, D still only allowed 14 points. so hats off to them for that! Fun win, right down to the wire!

Got to catch one of Stewart's FG practice balls before the game (well, I didn't exactly catch it, but snagged it). Check out the pregame stadium that is full! (Right before Sandman, which was awesome - the entire stadium was singing)

View attachment 13470View attachment 13471
Great pics! Thanks. I want to go to a game there to see Tech play one year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game on Sat in person. First, let me say that Blacksburg is a great venue, and I sat down low on the 40 yd line on the visitors' side. So much fun to watch the entrance with Sandman and hear the crowd sing. It was sloppy wet the first half (not pouring rain, but wet). The stadium was full of VT people - very, very few GT fans - the band was in the upper, upper corner and very difficult to hear. The noise level from the VT people was loud the entire game. Everyone around me was nice - and cheering for VT. When I'd yell or clap, everyone stared at me, but no one said anything. :) That was a great experience.

The game was interesting. Ups and downs, momentum shifts....one thing that was very noticeable was that the refs were not interested in calling close things. I did see a few holds that they missed on both sides, but I'd rather the refs let the kids play. Thought we might lose Charlie Thomas over the non targeting call after review. That was tough. Glad it came out on our side.

Pyron made a couple of errors, but overall I was very impressed with him. Jenkins with the one-hand grab - that was right in front of me (early in the game) - WOW! O got over 400 yds! So exciting!

And as frustrating as the punt returns were (all of them #11 got more than he should have) at least we didn't get one blocked. We almost got to their punter a couple of times.

And, as frustrating as it seemed end of third qtr, D still only allowed 14 points. so hats off to them for that! Fun win, right down to the wire!

Got to catch one of Stewart's FG practice balls before the game (well, I didn't exactly catch it, but snagged it). Check out the pregame stadium that is full! (Right before Sandman, which was awesome - the entire stadium was singing)

View attachment 13470View attachment 13471
Nice post! I have seen several games there against teams other than GT (one of my 3 kids graduated from VT - he is still conflicted when the Techs play). The VT-Miami game on a Saturday night when Vick was their QB was a night to remember. I thought the stands would fall down. Enter Sandman is a great thing to experience. Thanks for representing GT there.

slugboy

Staff member
1667916322767.png

I don't know how many times we got in the Pistol last Saturday, but if it was more than a few times, then we've got a poker tell

1667916349626.png