POSTGAME #GTvsVT GT 28-VT 27

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, it's an ENTIRELY reasonable take. Kids are kids, and a hype environment is a hype environment, and a lame environment is a lame environment.
Honestly BDS hasn't been that bad this year. The Duke game had 32K, and it was one of the loudest games in recent memory. The Ole Miss game was a great crowd too despite the result.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what has happened with Billy Ward. He was getting some praise early on. I don't think he has appeared in a game this year. Mostly Benson and Dylan Leonard. Leonard makes some plays but he gets flagged a lot as well. Benson has problems blocking and catching the football. PJ Harris doesn't get much PT either. I was hoping one of them might emerge but not much yet.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what has happened with Billy Ward. He was getting some praise early on. I don't think he has appeared in a game this year. Mostly Benson and Dylan Leonard. Leonard makes some plays but he gets flagged a lot as well. Benson has problems blocking and catching the football. PJ Harris doesn't get much PT either. I was hoping one of them might emerge but not much yet.
I believe he's played in every game on special teams:

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I was really expecting a lot more from Harris. He's a converted WR but seems to have the worst hands of the group. Way too many drops. If we could get any consistent production out of that group, it would take a huge load off of our QB.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I was really expecting a lot more from Harris. He's a converted WR but seems to have the worst hands of the group. Way too many drops. If we could get any consistent production out of that group, it would take a huge load off of our QB.
I've never understood how it can be so hard to catch the football for some people. To me it is a very learnable skill. With 1000's of good repetitions catching with your hands in different body alignments anyone will get better. At least, I would think anyone would. But it seems this isn't the case. Maybe a sports psychologist is needed more than a coach?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've never understood how it can be so hard to catch the football for some people. To me it is a very learnable skill. With 1000's of good repetitions catching with your hands in different body alignments anyone will get better. At least, I would think anyone would. But it seems this isn't the case. Maybe a sports psychologist is needed more than a coach?
Depends on whether the drops are a product of lacking hand-eye coordination or poor technique. Remember the old days when receivers who couldn't catch the ball were sent to play DB?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Depends on whether the drops are a product of lacking hand-eye coordination or poor technique. Remember the old days when receivers who couldn't catch the ball were sent to play DB?
We already have an abundance of defensive backs 😜

Yes, the old line is "now you know why he plays defense!"

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Think you're mixing up Benson and Leonard on the penalties.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game on Sat in person. First, let me say that Blacksburg is a great venue, and I sat down low on the 40 yd line on the visitors' side. So much fun to watch the entrance with Sandman and hear the crowd sing. It was sloppy wet the first half (not pouring rain, but wet). The stadium was full of VT people - very, very few GT fans - the band was in the upper, upper corner and very difficult to hear. The noise level from the VT people was loud the entire game. Everyone around me was nice - and cheering for VT. When I'd yell or clap, everyone stared at me, but no one said anything. :) That was a great experience.

The game was interesting. Ups and downs, momentum shifts....one thing that was very noticeable was that the refs were not interested in calling close things. I did see a few holds that they missed on both sides, but I'd rather the refs let the kids play. Thought we might lose Charlie Thomas over the non targeting call after review. That was tough. Glad it came out on our side.

Pyron made a couple of errors, but overall I was very impressed with him. Jenkins with the one-hand grab - that was right in front of me (early in the game) - WOW! O got over 400 yds! So exciting!

And as frustrating as the punt returns were (all of them #11 got more than he should have) at least we didn't get one blocked. We almost got to their punter a couple of times.

And, as frustrating as it seemed end of third qtr, D still only allowed 14 points. so hats off to them for that! Fun win, right down to the wire!

Got to catch one of Stewart's FG practice balls before the game (well, I didn't exactly catch it, but snagged it). Check out the pregame stadium that is full! (Right before Sandman, which was awesome - the entire stadium was singing)

1667828638649.jpeg
1667828743734.png

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
He has a habit of leading with his head. It's hazardous - moreso to himself than the one he's tackling.
Seeing this again reminds me of something I noticed - am I the only one who thinks that our tackling was generally better overall in the VT game compared to UVA/FSU? I thought perhaps it was due to the quality of the competition but not sure.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
bc he put his helmet across his number and on the ball
On the ball? The ball was being held on the opposite of where Charlie made contact and lower than where his helmet made contact. Charlie lowered his head and hit the QB with the crown of his helmet on the QB's helmet just below the earhole. This point of contact had nothing to do with the mouthpiece flying out? He, the Defense, and Thacker are very lucky.