Post Season Musings

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Good question. I don't want GT to be a factory. I love the Institute for what it is. Strong academics, engineering centric (although I was a science major), without cupcake courses or majors. GT has a LOT to offer to a player in an education, in building a career and in being part of a family for life.

One thing that caught my attention this year was toward the end of the season when Johnson was talking about coaching at GT, in response to a question about how this experience compares to other places he has coached. He compared it favorably to the Naval Academy and told his coaches and players to embrace what we are, rather than aspire to what we are not. That is exactly the way I feel. That isn't to say that we can't work with the Hill and support the program, but we still need to be who we are and win. That statement told me that Johnson understands GT, and that we have the right guy running our program.
I have always believed CPJ left the Academy for Georgia Tech because we are an academic institution with excellent competitive sports programs that require true student athletes and players of high moral character. He wants a NC. He came here for that. I think he is going to get it.

This team did all we could ask. Next year we can only ask that they do the same. Avoid getting caught up in media hype which will be coming their way, Work hard, work together, support each other, help each other, and as this years team did, practice hard with dedication to improvement. When in the game play their best effort giving 100 % and leaving all on the field.

Doing that win or lose I will be proud of you!! Doing that you will be WINNERS!

THWG

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Had the same thought as the OP as I sat in the OB after the game Wednesday night. This team has replaced the 1990 team as my favorite because they did more with less. In '90, we were loaded and we knew it. As much satisfaction as I got from the '90 UVA, Clemson, and Nebraska games, all three combined were not as gloriously wonderful as uga '14. To get up off the mat with 18 seconds left in Athens, with those officials, that crowd, and our history of late chokes against the vomit eaters means this will always be my favorite GT game. You cannot appreciate what that means unless you had your heart ripped out in 60, 64, 71, 76, 78, 83, 91, 95, 97, 06, 09, and 13. I can take a loss like a man, but a dozen times in the 50+ years I've followed the Jackets, the games slipped away usually in the most painful fashion possible just as you began to hope. This team DID NOT let #13 happen. And for that I will be forever grateful. What a game.

We also have to fess up that a few of our preseason predictions on this board didn't pan out:

- Everybody is just going to line up and run it down our throats with this DL (Chubbs who?)
- Godhigh is gone and took all our A Back blocking with him
- Looks like the light will never come on for Snoddy
- JT is too fragile and won't make it thru an entire season
- Chamberlain won't be the starter for long
- PJ will never beat the Big 4 in the same season
- We own Duke and UNC

Mea Culpa - When Georgia Southern had the lead late in the 4th and was driving for the kill, I told my wife, "It will be 4-5 years before we get over losing this game. Johnson is gone and we will have to start over from scratch." Could anyone have predicted then 11 wins and an Orange Bowl victory over the team that spent the most weeks at #1? For the sheer satisfaction and thrill of the ride this year, no team in my memory can match it.

Red,
Couldn't have said it better myself.!990 is still amazing to me even though we did have more talent.
If we had not beaten uga this yr even if we beat unc and dook,it would not be the same.
I too have watched multiple uga wins including in person that classic in '78 when they stole that game on EddieL's injury.