Possible transfer?

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably will end up at less thought of Florida school like UCF, USF, FAU, Florida International, Bethune Cookman or FAMU.

Go Jackets!
Not sure about that either. He was 5* talent coming out of high school. Injured his first season then went through 2 DCs and never found his fit. I'm fairly certain a larger school, whether us or not, will take a chance on him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure how well those rules will hold up anymore. We're sure hoping Ezzard can play this year.

The rules still trump the NCAA rules. They are in place for a reason, whether we like the reason or not. Ironically, we would benefit from it in this case and have to endure it in the Ezzard case. Long term, I'd rather sit Ezzard a year if such a rule helps us land help on the DL. Also, he'd have to apply for a waiver to play this year anyways...

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
The rules still trump the NCAA rules. They are in place for a reason, whether we like the reason or not. Ironically, we would benefit from it in this case and have to endure it in the Ezzard case. Long term, I'd rather sit Ezzard a year if such a rule helps us land help on the DL. Also, he'd have to apply for a waiver to play this year anyways...
Actually, maybe we could end up getting the best of both worlds. The conference rules may trump the NCAA rules, but with a coaching change at Miami, Ezzard has more ground to stand and could possibly fight that too. Also with all the transferring going on these days, I think we'll see an end to these inter-conference transfer restrictions anyway. As a conference whole, I don't think you will want talented transfers to go to another conference because of the rule if they wish to go to an in-conference school.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, maybe we could end up getting the best of both worlds. The conference rules may trump the NCAA rules, but with a coaching change at Miami, Ezzard has more ground to stand and could possibly fight that too. Also with all the transferring going on these days, I think we'll see an end to these inter-conference transfer restrictions anyway. As a conference whole, I don't think you will want talented transfers to go to another conference because of the rule if they wish to go to an in-conference school.
You can’t forget that along with the coaching change, it is also closer to home for him. Those are two good reasons that the waiver should get approved.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Total best case He comes and does great and then praises the gt strength coach and med staff for rehabilitating his injury.

With the recruiting limits we have we must be seen as having great academic support and strength training and physical rehab.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
You can’t forget that along with the coaching change, it is also closer to home for him. Those are two good reasons that the waiver should get approved.
Yeah the waiver should get approved no problem. We're talking about the ACC-transfer rule. Supposedly the ACC and SEC have transfer rules in place that an athlete must sit one year if transferring within the conference.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not supposedly. Those rules actually exist.
Yeah I know they do exist. I said it that way because we'll see how they respond to these situations when the NCAA is all willy-nilly handing out waivers. I don't know what other conferences may or may not have these type rules in place, but I can see them going to the wayside in a hurry. That's an easy negative recruiting tool if a kid is deciding between say a B1G and ACC school, and the B1G school can always say, "hey if you go there and don't like it, you'll have to sit a year if you decide to stay in that conference."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah I know they do exist. I said it that way because we'll see how they respond to these situations when the NCAA is all willy-nilly handing out waivers.

Well, in fairness, the NCAA really doesn't have much skin in the game when it comes to transfers anymore. That's a major reason they've become so lax on the issue. The conferences are a whole different matter. None of the coaches and athletic directors are keen on players being able to freely hop to schools they will play on a regular basis. There are valid arguments on both sides of the issue.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope this young man gives us a chance.. we need all the talent we can get at this time to plug and play this offense over the next two years.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If we could somehow get him and a grad transfer OT that could contribute I would feel much better about our depth. The other positions seem pretty solid depth wise. Clayton would be a huge bump to our DL and hopefully he could get a waiver or graduate this spring.