• 1669301648414.png
    1669301648414.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The value of experience at the lower levels:

From the article:
"It’s at places like NGU he was given the chance to make mistakes, he said, minus the outside pressure to perform as immediately as the FBS ecosystem necessitates.
Those lower levels, in practice, are where he worked out the kinks that are bearing fruit today in Conway."

The freedom to make mistakes is also the freedom to experiment, improvise, and improve your system. He's gone through that and come out the better for it. I'd say he's about ready for P-5, now.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
I just stumbled across Jamey Chadwell's time at Charleston Southern and there was some real fishy activity going on there. Anyone else know about it?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just stumbled across Jamey Chadwell's time at Charleston Southern and there was some real fishy activity going on there. Anyone else know about it?
Compliance issue with the whole AA is what I read. Started before he got there and came to light in his 1st or 2nd year. Every major sport was affected. It's part of why he agreed to go OC Coastal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In 2018, the NCAA released a detailed report concerning numerous NCAA violations across the Charleston Southern athletics department that occurred during Chadwell's tenure as head football coach. The athletics department was found to have incorrectly certified 55 student athletes across 12 sports over a six-year period, and football players were found to have used scholarship funds to purchase electronics and jewelry from the campus book store. Ultimately, the NCAA sanctions included vacating 18 wins from the 2014 and 2015 football seasons and the 2015 Big South Championship, in addition to several vacated wins in other sports. Also vacated were three wins over crosstown rival The Citadel, games during which CSU used ineligible players.[1]

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like Chadwell had a contact violation and text book money purchase violation. Both violations were self reported.

1669306732867.png

1669306868839.png

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Compliance issue with the whole AA is what I read. Started before he got there and came to light in his 1st or 2nd year. Every major sport was affected. It's part of why he agreed to go OC Coastal.
The compliance stuff is the same thing that came to light at Tech while Chan was HC. He had nothing to do with it. It was all on the AA.
It's unclear how much the misuse of scholarship funds by the players had to do with him or if he knew about it but it did occur on his watch. Sounds somewhat similar to what happened while O'Leary was HC.
At any rate no violations have occurred at Coastal, as far as anyone knows.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A while back, Chadwell and Charleston Southern were discussed on this site. Only God knows what the truth is, but Jamie Caldwell was not cited in NCAA report. I posted one article and an opinion column from the Charleston Post and Courier. They may be behind a paywall. I can't tell since I am a subscriber.

Short summary: Charleston Southern started cutting corners on compliance documentation after a local con man Al Parish defrauded them of $10 million dollars in a Ponzi Scheme. CSU was cited in an audit by the Big South Conference in 2011. Then the NCCA investigated. In addition to the above violations, CSU and its book store let 34 players use scholarship money for items other than books. Another Tee-Shirt Scandal. The violations were in all sports, not just football. IMHO This fiasco shouldn't be a black mark on Jamie Caldwell's career.

NCAA hits Charleston Southern with probation, loss of football scholarships for violations

Sapakoff: Charleston Southern needs UNC lawyers to fight NCAA mockery

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I could be happy with Jamie Caldwell or Brent Key (or anyone the AD picks) as our next Head Coach, but they have very different styles.

Jamie Caldwell is a new name. Can you tell us more about him? What kind of offense does he run? Does he have experience recruiting the South? Since there's not much out there on this guy hopefully the entire ACC will be surprised by his schemes next season...

:)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Jamie Caldwell is a new name. Can you tell us more about him? What kind of offense does he run? Does he have experience recruiting the South? Since there's not much out there on this guy hopefully the entire ACC will be surprised by his schemes next season...

Caldwell/Chadwell, Fritz/Freeze...who can keep all these names straight? Oh, well, you seen one coach you've seen em all. We'll get the name down after Batt picks one.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Well I misspelled him name. Jamey Chadwell knows the south, at least South Carolina. Coastal Carolina is a small school with modest academic standards. He probably is better at teaching players his offense than recruiting. Whoever gives him a chance to coach at the P5 level will take a risk that he is ready the next level.