Portal Watch 2022-23

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Key is instilling the 'Bama mentality. Recruit and get the best guys (recruiting or portal), and tell the kids that aren't good enough that they will be "left behind". Batt is from 'Bama, and I'm sure he supports doing what needs to be done to make GT the best program possible. Kind of a different philosophy than what we've had in the past. I'm sure we're doing it on the basketball side as well. It's Big Boy sports programs now.
If you are going to get paid, you better produce. However I think most are looking for PT. Some may leave because of the academic grind or want a more competitive team. McCollum supposedly went to UNC because of Maye.
Carrol had some serious injuries to deal with. I hope he can get his degree here unless he goes somewhere like Duke or Vandy. The extra COVID year has really changed the transfer landscape as well. Sorry to ramble.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it just me...or do all these announcements follow the same template? 1. I want to start out.., 2. I want to thank...., 3. With that being said....

Somebody please show some originality.

I mean, I immensely enjoyed the last guy who tried some originality.

Unfortunately, his timing wasn't that great given the fact that Coach Leach passed away a few weeks later. But "A" for effort, no doubt.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If you are going to get paid, you better produce.

This is something I think the student athlete (and largely former SAs) who pushed for NIL - as well as those currently pushing for salary in addition to scholarships, Room & Board, stipend, and NIL - may not have considered. Certainly a "law of unintended consequences" sort of thing - but it only makes sense. There are rules against "pay for performance" - but there are also rules against tampering, and we see how all of that is working out.

Ultimately sad, as we'll likely see some student athletes getting pushed aside and having to find a way to pay their own way through school while others continue to rake it in. Maybe that's just the fruits of competition, and the nature of a professional sports career, but still - kinda sad to see.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting.

Dude was pretty darn solid at UNC. Joined Penn State as a transfer this spring, and is looking to leave after 1 semester. Word has it he wanted to be at a place he can start his last year, and supposedly he's stuck between 2-3 guys in PSU's cornerback room.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Interesting.

Dude was pretty darn solid at UNC. Joined Penn State as a transfer this spring, and is looking to leave after 1 semester. Word has it he wanted to be at a place he can start his last year, and supposedly he's stuck between 2-3 guys in PSU's cornerback room.

Why this dude ain’t heading to Oregon and capitalizing on NIL opportunities is beyond me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The LB room appears to be crowded especially if we only play 2 on defense. I would guess looking for PT and we keep hitting the portal.
PT is tough except for STs.. Iwould guess he was no higher than 5th in the pecking order and could be lower depending on what we see of Efford and Dean and what was indicated in the game by Heflin.