Portal Watch 2022-23

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
How could Ivey promise a spot to someone?
More like lets say ivey calls him and says "hey man look at this NIL deal i got, you knwo we got a corner spot up you graduated right?" You can't limit athletes from talking to each other. Add in that he has a degree and maybe didn't get into his chosen grad program. Soft landing spot.

slugboy

Staff member
More like lets say ivey calls him and says "hey man look at this NIL deal i got, you knwo we got a corner spot up you graduated right?" You can't limit athletes from talking to each other. Add in that he has a degree and maybe didn't get into his chosen grad program. Soft landing spot.
If that was all that was going on, coaches wouldn’t be complaining about tampering. And if that were the explanation, a lot more players would be jumping into the portal to join friends at other schools and finding that there’s not a space for them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If that was all that was going on, coaches wouldn’t be complaining about tampering. And if that were the explanation, a lot more players would be jumping into the portal to join friends at other schools and finding that there’s not a space for them.

How do we know they aren't most of the kids who jump in the portal don't actually land anywhere.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
How do we know they aren't most of the kids who jump in the portal don't actually land anywhere.
The players that don't land anywhere are buried backups who were just dissatisfied and hoping to land somewhere they could play. That makes up a large bullk of the portal. When we're talking about tampering, we're talking about starters like McCollum and Walton, or Sam Hartmann from Wake. Those guys aren't going into it hoping. They've been contacted, and no matter who is contacting them, it's being directed by a school with an NIL offer on the table. The tell is that they'll have this long list of schools 'interested' once they're in the portal, but then they make one visit and commit.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The players that don't land anywhere are buried backups who were just dissatisfied and hoping to land somewhere they could play. That makes up a large bullk of the portal. When we're talking about tampering, we're talking about starters like McCollum and Walton, or Sam Hartmann from Wake. Those guys aren't going into it hoping. They've been contacted, and no matter who is contacting them, it's being directed by a school with an NIL offer on the table. The tell is that they'll have this long list of schools 'interested' once they're in the portal, but then they make one visit and commit.
Walton and Hartmann both graduated (ie they finished school). Neither of these are good tampering scenarios. A very suspicious tampering example is Jordan Addison leaving Pitt to go to USC. Addison won the Biletnikoff Award as a sophomore for a Pitt team that went 11-3.

It’s amazing how, on one hand, people demean SAs/factory schools for just playing football, but on the other hand, want to measure an SA’s time in college based on years of football eligibility versus whether they graduated or not.

On the gripping hand…..

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The issue will be guys who aren't highly touted out of HS, whom we are lucky or skilled enough to develop into top notch talent, who may then be wooed by NIL deals in their latter years.
I think that's the biggest issue and it's the one that encourages the most tampering. I am all for athletes cashing in on their Name, Image and Likeness. I am also for athletes having the freedom to move from one school to the next. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to make an athlete sit out a year upon an undergraduate transfer. They can go anywhere they want; they just can't play immediately. Personally, i would also suggest you lose a year of eligibility but that probably wouldn't

slugboy

Staff member
Walton and Hartmann both graduated (ie they finished school). Neither of these are good tampering scenarios. A very suspicious tampering example is Jordan Addison leaving Pitt to go to USC. Addison won the Biletnikoff Award as a sophomore for a Pitt team that went 11-3.

It’s amazing how, on one hand, people demean SAs/factory schools for just playing football, but on the other hand, want to measure an SA’s time in college based on years of football eligibility versus whether they graduated or not.

On the gripping hand…..

There seems to be confusion about what tampering is. If they aren’t at your school and they aren’t in the transfer portal, contacting them is tampering, graduate or not

“NCAA rules prohibit any representative of another athletics department from making contact with a player at another school who has not entered the transfer portal, either directly or indirectly.”

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

On the gripping hand…..
Walton is obvious tampering. Just because he's a grad transfer doesn't mean that didn't happen. He was tweeting out being on board with our Techway NIL. Then, out of nowhere he went in the portal on the last day or last couple days of eligibility for that period.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There seems to be confusion about what tampering is. If they aren’t at your school and they aren’t in the transfer portal, contacting them is tampering, graduate or not

“NCAA rules prohibit any representative of another athletics department from making contact with a player at another school who has not entered the transfer portal, either directly or indirectly.”

Tampering is nearly impossible to prove and that won’t change. As said earlier likely much of it starts with the player who eventually transfers. He our his people reach out to see what is possible elsewhere in NIL. They find out better opportunity exists. Is that tampering? Seems like good business sense by a player.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Walton is obvious tampering. Just because he's a grad transfer doesn't mean that didn't happen. He was tweeting out being on board with our Techway NIL. Then, out of nowhere he went in the portal on the last day or last couple days of eligibility for that period.

This ties back to the discussion on the other thread about the NCAA making enforceable rules. Tampering is hard to prove and thus difficult to enforce. If the NCAA reinstated the old transfer rule, it should help the problem.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. If the NCAA reinstated the old transfer rule, it should help the problem.
I get the strong sense that the NCAA disbanded a year or two ago and forget to tell anyone. I think the probability of intervention in anything by either the NCAA or any one of the following: Odin,Zeus, Superman, the Great Pumpkin or Jupiter have essentially the same probability.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I get the strong sense that the NCAA disbanded a year or two ago and forget to tell anyone. I think the probability of intervention in anything by either the NCAA or any one of the following: Odin,Zeus, Superman, the Great Pumpkin or Jupiter have essentially the same probability.
In 2016 Geroge P Burdell was President of Board of Governors of NCAA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agreed. Ultimately, this is going to end up in congress or the courts. After all, the courts were the driving factor to allow NIL.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thank goodness our Congress isn't busy with anything important at the moment......
In a weird sense of deja vu, I think that our Congress also closed shop awhile back and forgot to tell anyone, although they do keep cashing the checks. The probability of Congress to intervene in anything in a meaningful way is exactly the same as waiting on Batman, Isis, the Justice League of America, Neptune, etc. to do something of import. But i digress and hope to get things back on track...I am looking forward to the upcoming football season.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
In a weird sense of deja vu, I think that our Congress also closed shop awhile back and forgot to tell anyone, although they do keep cashing the checks. The probability of Congress to intervene in anything in a meaningful way is exactly the same as waiting on Batman, Isis, the Justice League of America, Neptune, etc. to do something of import. But i digress and hope to get things back on track...I am looking forward to the upcoming football season.
The new NCAA President has a background in politics. Perhaps for a reason. We'll see.