Portal Watch 2022-23

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
105 is camp number…85 scholarship players and 20 walk ons. FBS is 85 scholarship limit. FCS is 65 if I remember correctly, and they’re able to have 95 at camp. I can’t remember DII numbers.

I could be mistaken, but I believe schools may be able to have as many as they want on the roster? Back in my day we had somewhere in the ballpark of 120, more than there were lockers, as is the case at a lot of schools. I wouldn’t be surprised if some schools have anywhere from 130-150ish, the later being DII, NAIA.
I believe the 105 is a roster limit or eligible to come into a game. Again, I don't know this for fact but I believe you can have as many as you want "on the team" but only 105 are eligible to come into a game and only 85 can be on scholarship.

slugboy

Staff member
I believe the 105 is a roster limit or eligible to come into a game. Again, I don't know this for fact but I believe you can have as many as you want "on the team" but only 105 are eligible to come into a game and only 85 can be on scholarship.
Here is some info: https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships

• The current FBS scholarship limit is 85 (with overflow during portions of the year)
  • Total team roster size seems to be capped at 130. FBS rosters seem to vary between 118 and 130 players
  • Conferences set the “game eligible” roster size. The SEC sets theirs to 80.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Here is some info: https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships

• The current FBS scholarship limit is 85 (with overflow during portions of the year)
  • Total team roster size seems to be capped at 130. FBS rosters seem to vary between 118 and 130 players
  • Conferences set the “game eligible” roster size. The SEC sets theirs to 80.
I don’t know the exact numbers, but depending on conference, you basically can dress your 2/3 deep for conference games, I feel like the ACC was like 65. I don’t know the number now. You can dress as many as you want for non-conference.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Kevin Harris from Bama has been a complete non-factor for us the past two seasons. Lot of practice hype, but he's played in 15 games and recorded a total of 8 tackles. No TFL, no sacks, no PD, no FF.
I'll never forget that CGC was saying during 2021 fall camp that they had to stop letting Harris get practice reps because he was too disruptive and beating the OL too badly. Then he basically never got on the field during games.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'll never forget that CGC was saying during 2021 fall camp that they had to stop letting Harris get practice reps because he was too disruptive and beating the OL too badly. Then he basically never got on the field during games.

Well, he also said Jahaziel Lee would be an all-pro NFL DT and Temple had a top 5 D in the nation. A 12 year old could've thrown similar darts at a dartboard.

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, he also said Jahaziel Lee would be an all-pro NFL DT and Temple had a top 5 D in the nation. A 12 year old could've thrown similar darts at a dartboard.
I stopped listening when he said Keion was running 21mph during practice (tyreek hill’s fastest clocked game speed)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Ncaa makes scholarship limits and only allows scholarship players.
No walk ons allowed.

What about that?
Are you saying that walk ons won't be allowed, or that every walk on making a roster spot needs to be put on scholarship?

I don't think the notion of "scholarship" even matters at this point. the scholarship limit was simply a mechanism to try to control how many kids they would pay to come play for them. Now that kids are getting paid in all sorts of ways, I think they ought to just have a roster cap (regardless of scholarship or NIL pay). Call it 100 players, who have to declare for the season. if you aren't part of the 100, you redshirt or transfer. the 100 can't change either; if you finish the year with 75 due to injuries, academic issues, transfers, etc, so be it. That would limit the factories from stacking talent like cord wood, at least a little.

I'll add, maybe the number is 90, maybe the number is 110. I don't know enough to say what a practical / workable limit is, but I think a total player limit per season is a start.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
My buddy that’s a dwag fan says there are lots of rumors that one of their TEs is coming to Tech with Buster.

The kids name is Brett Seither. Apparently we recruited him pretty heavily. I haven’t seen anyone post about it so Idk how accurate it is

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
My buddy that’s a dwag fan says there are lots of rumors that one of their TEs is coming to Tech with Buster.

The kids name is Brett Seither. Apparently we recruited him pretty heavily. I haven’t seen anyone post about it so Idk how accurate it is

Makes sense. We were in the final 5 it seems outta HS. And Buster is the TE coach too.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Brett Seither is a Grad. Trf.
List of contacts is long….GT, LSU, USC-W, Utah, Okla., Myd., Miami, Fla., Aub., NC St., Neb.
Based on rumors, I’d think Miami, Auburn, NC St., GT are the leaders.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What about no scholarships and no NIL?

"Man, I did love this game. I'd have played for food money. It was a game. The sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?...I used to love travelling on the trains from town to town. The hotels...brass spittoons in the lobbies, brass beds in the rooms. It was the crowd, rising to their feet when the ball was hit deep. Shoot...I'd have played for nothing!"​
- Shoeless Joe Jackson
Supposedly, both Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb stated that Jackson was the best natural hitter they ever saw.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Brett Seither is a Grad. Trf.
List of contacts is long….GT, LSU, USC-W, Utah, Okla., Myd., Miami, Fla., Aub., NC St., Neb.
Based on rumors, I’d think Miami, Auburn, NC St., GT are the leaders.
Not on "our lads" uga 2 deep for double tight end (4te), but will welcome him with both arms .
TE room needs a shake up.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Not on "our lads" uga 2 deep for double tight end (4te), but will welcome him with both arms .
TE room needs a shake up.
Yea, their TE group is something recidulous. They had a kid drafted year that was their 4th best guy.

Seither is probably their 5th or 6th best, but the guys ahead of him are all day 1 draft picks and Arik Gilbert, (top guy in the country a few years back) He is back in the portal too FYI. Who knows how good he is, but good to have another option

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seither would be a good addition. He would be a legit receiving threat at the TE spot for us. Being the 4th/5th guy at UGA at TE is not something to be ashamed of...two of the TEs in the UGA TE room will be first day picks, a 3rd was the best overall athlete in his class. It's like the Joe Burrow situation at OSU a few years back before he transferred to LSU. A LOT of QB talent in the OSU quarterback room.

On a related TE note, I REALLY hope Blackburn moves to TE. I don't think he has the explosiveness outside to be a consistent threat, but moving him to TE to create mismatches versus LBs and safeties and he could be a star. EJ Jenkins probably cost himself a lot of NFL money by not moving to TE...I hope Blackburn "sees the light" and moves there. Maybe Faulkner can talk him into it after showing him tape of what TEs will do in his offense.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Seither would be a good addition. He would be a legit receiving threat at the TE spot for us. Being the 4th/5th guy at UGA at TE is not something to be ashamed of...two of the TEs in the UGA TE room will be first day picks, a 3rd was the best overall athlete in his class. It's like the Joe Burrow situation at OSU a few years back before he transferred to LSU. A LOT of QB talent in the OSU quarterback room.

On a related TE note, I REALLY hope Blackburn moves to TE. I don't think he has the explosiveness outside to be a consistent threat, but moving him to TE to create mismatches versus LBs and safeties and he could be a star. EJ Jenkins probably cost himself a lot of NFL money by not moving to TE...I hope Blackburn "sees the light" and moves there. Maybe Faulkner can talk him into it after showing him tape of what TEs will do in his offense.
We definitely need all the help we can get at TE, painful at times watching all those wide open drops by our TE's, they all had brick hands. Probably the weakest position on the team and that's saying a lot with how bad our OL play has been

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner can get us in 2 TE sets which will open the outside passing game. We basically went from a total option team to a total 4 wide passing scheme. There are a lot of in between variations that utilize both the option schemes and deep passing schemes. UGA has shown the last few games how pretty it looks when it succeeds. Say what you want about that team but they look a lot like the Friedgen offense. MThose QB optio plays with Bennett were the Goose all over again. I believe Faulkner will bring us back to a consistent offense that can beat you many ways. We haven’t had that in a long time.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn’t he committed at one point and flipped late when they offered?

Wasn't committed to anyone but uGA. We had a bit of a mix-up on the board when people thought we were in his Top 5, but then realized Penn State had made the cut and we hadn't. We probably would have been, but it seems the attention growing from all the factories pushed us out.

Still, would be a good one to have on the team. As others have said, I think BF's offense would certainly benefit from a solid TE.