Portal Watch 2022-23

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Big frame as an outside WR. Was Duquesne’s 2nd leading receiver behind their slot guy. I think Rutherford will be a solid replacement for Nate’s production, and this guy will be replacing Malachi Carter basically. I think we’ll see a lot of 4 WR sets this year so having productive wideouts will be important. I think he’ll be solid. I hope we end up using Leo Blackburn kind of how UGA uses Bowers. A matchup nightmare who can catch and run with the ball.

If all goes according to plan I can definitely see our top 3 WRs being some combination of Rutherford, Blackburn, and Janneh. Blackstrain, DJ Moore, and Ryan King will provide solid options as well.
Optimistic for sure. This transfer clearly has more experience and success than any receiver on our roster. Will he produce stepping up to P5 is the question.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Optimistic for sure. This transfer clearly has more experience and success than any receiver on our roster. Will he produce stepping up to P5 is the question.
I think he’ll adjust fine to the higher level of competition. Duquesne was a really bad FCS team at 4-7 last year. It’s hard for a receiver to put up really good numbers if he’s in an offense that isn’t very good. I mean, Jalen Camp is an NFL WR and his best year at Tech he had 27 catches for 417 yards. Based on the frame alone I’m excited to see what Janneh can do. Especially when put in an offense that can hopefully really start turning some gears with the minds we’ve put together on the offensive staff.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think he’ll adjust fine to the higher level of competition. Duquesne was a really bad FCS team at 4-7 last year. It’s hard for a receiver to put up really good numbers if he’s in an offense that isn’t very good. I mean, Jalen Camp is an NFL WR and his best year at Tech he had 27 catches for 417 yards. Based on the frame alone I’m excited to see what Janneh can do. Especially when put in an offense that can hopefully really start turning some gears with the minds we’ve put together on the offensive staff.

Camp was an interesting one because i feel he actually was hurt by the offensive change more than he was helped. He was a physical freak that was definitely would have done some things when he was getting constant one on one coverage. When the offense changed his skillset didn't benefit from what we were trying to do. Not to mention us unable to really deliver the ball to anyone not a slot receiver.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Will he produce stepping up to P5 is the question.
One never knows how a transfer like this will do.

Checking out the film it looks like he has a reasonable chance to be solid for us. He makes all kind of tough catches with dudes draped all over him, and some impressive grabs going out of bounds. Body control is excellent. Probably won't be as quick as he looks now vs better comp, but has toughness to win ball in air and get YAC. Like to see that the hand offs out of the backfield.

So, a good prospect who like all prospects may or may not work out. Seems like floor is a reasonable possession guy in the rotation. Style fits air-raid. Has 2 years with us...could see him transferring again if it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think going forward we need to look at everyone as temporary this includes players and coaches. I have said before, that modern day college football is a one year deal at best. No longer can you look at the game in the traditional way of offering a player a scholarship, bringing him into the program, investing in his development with the high probability of receiving a return at some future date. The top end players now have leverage and will come and go based on what they preceive to be the best deal for them. Georgia Tech will be less affected by this than the factory schools but we still will be to a degree.

I think the key to our success going forward is learning how to manage this process to our best advantage. It would be more productive to embrace the new world and exploit it to our advantage, not to resist and fight it and get angry every time one of our players chooses to transfer. Let's get proactive in finding and recruiting other teams players that fit our needs for the upcoming season. I think you have to prioritze the year you are in and pay less attention to next year and down the road. Some of that will work itself out and you can implememt things to keep your better players in the fold, until they graduate or go pro. Transversly, you can also implement ways to encourage those underperformer to move on and free up scholarships for higher potetial performing players.

Same is true of the coaching staff. You best have a pipeline in place and be prepared to replace coaches on a yearly basis.

Just my thoughts on the new world of collegiate football.

Go Jackets!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think going forward we need to look at everyone as temporary this includes players and coaches. I have said before, that modern day college football is a one year deal at best. No longer can you look at the game in the traditional way of offering a player a scholarship, bringing him into the program, investing in his development with the high probability of receiving a return at some future date. The top end players now have leverage and will come and go based on what they preceive to be the best deal for them. Georgia Tech will be less affected by this than the factory schools but we still will be to a degree.

I think the key to our success going forward is learning how to manage this process to our best advantage. It would be more productive to embrace the new world and exploit it to our advantage, not to resist and fight it and get angry every time one of our players chooses to transfer. Let's get proactive in finding and recruiting other teams players that fit our needs for the upcoming season. I think you have to prioritze the year you are in and pay less attention to next year and down the road. Some of that will work itself out and you can implememt things to keep your better players in the fold, until they graduate or go pro. Transversly, you can also implement ways to encourage those underperformer to move on and free up scholarships for higher potetial performing players.

Same is true of the coaching staff. You best have a pipeline in place and be prepared to replace coaches on a yearly basis.

Just my thoughts on the new world of collegiate football.

Go Jackets!
Absolutely. My attitude toward the comings and goings of coaches and players has done a 180 over the past few years. Teams and staffs have to be reconstructed yearly. You always had graduation, but the transfer market has redoubled the pace of turnover. You still have to develop players, but transfers in and out are now a fact of life. We just have to deal with it and try to get more talent coming in than going out. As for coaches, seems few of the assistants stick around for more than 2 or 3 years, and HCs who stay for 10 years are getting rarer. We have to have a way to build a foundation on shifting sands, and in order to do that we have to be flexible. As for development, the program that puts that on a fast track, especially for incoming diamonds in the rough, is the program that will get ahead of the game.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Man the WR room is all a sudden pretty dang croweded!

Christian Leary
Leo Blackburn
Malik Rutherford
Avery Boyd
D.J Moore
Juju Lewis
James Blackstrain
Jamal Haynes
Chase Lane
Abdul Janneh
Bryce Dopson
Zion Taylor
Eric Singleton Jr.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow

Speed guy, can take the top off a defense, 4* out of high school

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 4.44.55 PM.png

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
A developed Blackburn and all these new SEC weapons. Starting to feel like maybe the most talent downfield we’ve had in awhile. How much more roster do we have to fill?
P.s. if we get Jordan Domineck I’m making a BK sleeveless sweatshirt

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
What are we in need of now? Wrecker on the DL? HSQB? With Pyron hurt and I'm guessing out until summer, do we have QBs?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. My attitude toward the comings and goings of coaches and players has done a 180 over the past few years. Teams and staffs have to be reconstructed yearly. You always had graduation, but the transfer market has redoubled the pace of turnover. You still have to develop players, but transfers in and out are now a fact of life. We just have to deal with it and try to get more talent coming in than going out. As for coaches, seems few of the assistants stick around for more than 2 or 3 years, and HCs who stay for 10 years are getting rarer. We have to have a way to build a foundation on shifting sands, and in order to do that we have to be flexible. As for development, the program that puts that on a fast track, especially for incoming diamonds in the rough, is the program that will get ahead of the game.
I'm not sure, but maybe we do it different and set up stability in our HC and that becomes a real selling point to kids coming out of HS. Think ma be right about changing out other coaches to fit the current need. Just a thought, we seem to be headed towards doing things a little different than some of the others, which I like personally.