Portal Watch 2022-23

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'd have to pass on Gilbert from what my buddy has read on the ugag message boards
Lots of cryptic and curious comments on here:

From the article:
The Georgia head coach also provided an update on redshirt sophomore Arik Gilbert. The tight end did not make the trip to Kentucky this past weekend. It does not appear to be injury related as for why he did not travel after doing so for the game against Mississippi State

“He’s doing well,” Smart said. “He continues to grow. We’re just trying to help Arik as a person and a student right now.”

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

From the article:
The Georgia head coach also provided an update on redshirt sophomore Arik Gilbert. The tight end did not make the trip to Kentucky this past weekend. It does not appear to be injury related as for why he did not travel after doing so for the game against Mississippi State

“He’s doing well,” Smart said. “He continues to grow. We’re just trying to help Arik as a person and a student right now.”
We don’t need what would appear to be accompanying drama from him. Hard no thanks for me

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
No tampering at all. Nothing to see here. Sigh.
And schools like Wake and GT will be subject to players who succeed going to big name programs for NIL money and national exposure. You certainly can't blame the players but it really magnifies the have and have nots in College Football, Basketball and potentially other sports. It will really limit the ability for schools outside of the elite 10 to 15 to effectively compete on any kind of sustained basis.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's a belief among the scouts that playing in a pro-style system would benefit Hartman's NFL projection after playing in Wake Forest's successful but unconventional slow mesh system.
If Hartman goes to a blue-blood school -- and plenty of high-end interest is expected -- he'd likely be able to accumulate significantly more in marketing money or name, image and likeness deals than he would have in battling to make the back end of an NFL roster.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And schools like Wake and GT will be subject to players who succeed going to big name programs for NIL money and national exposure. You certainly can't blame the players but it really magnifies the have and have nots in College Football, Basketball and potentially other sports. It will really limit the ability for schools outside of the elite 10 to 15 to effectively compete on any kind of sustained basis.

We will be a football feeder school to other programs unless we start winning a lot more. Let's hope that happens.

In baseball, we go to the NCAAs every year and have a top 20 program most years. Or guys get drafted a lot. Not a feeder program there.

Winning takes care of a lot.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
We will be a football feeder school to other programs unless we start winning a lot more. Let's hope that happens.

In baseball, we go to the NCAAs every year and have a top 20 program most years. Or guys get drafted a lot. Not a feeder program there.

Winning takes care of a lot.
I believe we can be the fall back destination for talented players from Atlanta that thought they wanted to go up North, out West, etc., but got homesick.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Graysom McCall, Coastal Carolina’s starting quarterback, announced back on Dec. 12 that he was entering the transfer portal. Yet he wanted to play one last time for Coastal Carolina in their Birmingham Bowl game against East Carolina tonight, to “finish what I started” as he was quoted as saying.

Well, he just got injured when he scored a touchdown in the 2nd quarter moments ago, flipping over the goal line as he was hit, and landed hard on his head. Announcers said it’s a possible head/neck injury, and he’s questionable to play for the rest of the game.

Coastal’s backup QB is now in. I’m not sure McCall will come back into the game.

The game is on ESPN now.

JacketFan137

Banned
Graysom McCall, Coastal Carolina’s starting quarterback, announced back on Dec. 12 that he was entering the transfer portal. Yet he wanted to play one last time for Coastal Carolina in their Birmingham Bowl game against East Carolina tonight, to “finish what I started” as he was quoted as saying.

Well, he just got injured when he scored a touchdown in the 2nd quarter moments ago, flipping over the goal line as he was hit, and landed hard on his head. Announcers said it’s a possible head/neck injury, and he’s questionable to play for the rest of the game.

Coastal’s backup QB is now in. I’m not sure McCall will come back into the game.

The game is on ESPN now.
and this is exactly why i will never feel any anger towards someone sitting a bowl game for nfl draft position. mccall is not a first round pick or anything but imagine if he was and this was a more serious injury

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
and this is exactly why i will never feel any anger towards someone sitting a bowl game for nfl draft position. mccall is not a first round pick or anything but imagine if he was and this was a more serious injury
But a bowl game versus a play-off game? Now we're talking about a game with meaning. Does that change the calculus? What if there's a NIL deal in place...?

JacketFan137

Banned
But a bowl game versus a play-off game? Now we're talking about a game with meaning. Does that change the calculus? What if there's a NIL deal in place...?
i wouldn’t hold that against the player either. if they’ve determined that future nfl contract means more to them i have no issue. it’s easy for us to say they should play but they have to consider their future and this is a dangerous game. one snap, one cut and bam your career is never the same

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
i wouldn’t hold that against the player either. if they’ve determined that future nfl contract means more to them i have no issue. it’s easy for us to say they should play but they have to consider their future and this is a dangerous game. one snap, one cut and bam your career is never the same

I mean if they are getting paid to play through NIL, and they don’t play, then some of the money should be given back. Now if they don’t want to play in a random bowl game, that’s still their choice.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It has nothing to do with what you or I think as regular fans. However, we're talking big dollars for championships. Players are starting to get paid for their play. Boosters are starting to pay huge dollars and if a player costs his/her team a championship, there are going to be some big issues.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
I know a guy who knows a guy with Arik, and I'll say it seems to me he has a lot of personal strife going on mentally for whatever reason. I doubt he would (or really should) be able to that stress along with the stress of being a GT student athlete.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Yep. If I’m a senior and a professor tells me the final exam is optional, and I already have an A and a cushy gig lined up based on my GPA, ain’t no way I’m taking that final.