Portal Watch 2022-23

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
My journey through Tech was somewhat similar, co-op for a couple of years and finished in f
ive years.
One advantage kids have today is the ability to take college classes while still in HS. I know kids that started college as a sophomore their first day on campus.

So true. I have nephews and nieces doing that as well as longtime friends sons/daughters.

It would have been nice to have 20 or 30 hours of credits in the bank before even starting college. The money it saves students/parents is significant if they can shave a semester or two off the total bill.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So true. I have nephews and nieces doing that as well as longtime friends sons/daughters.

It would have been nice to have 20 or 30 hours of credits in the bank before even starting college. The money it saves students/parents is significant if they can shave a semester or two off the total bill.
We have 2 ol guys that did the AP , got here early, took classes year round, and had injury. Here 2.5 years and have a gt degree.
Hard to build depth.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have 2 ol guys that did the AP , got here early, took classes year round, and had injury. Here 2.5 years and have a gt degree.
We gotta quit recruiting the damn nerds and get some of them there country boys out of South and North Georgia (and by this I mean not anyplace that is now a suburb of the big city Atlanta cause that ain't North Georgia anymore, I am talking about the old North Georgia where people made moonshine and such and grew apples and where Deliverance was filmed and peple couldn't even read nor write too good but weren't afraid to knock heads with anyone and you could get the uncut twist tobaccer like King Bee, which, stil to this day, is the best there is imo (although Uncle Ned liked the regular Mail Pouch in the bag better) at any gas station, public school or country store or any other place that sold homemade pork rinds) who want to stay, have a good time and play FB. This stuff all started with them cell phones and video games and moving kickoffs to anytime in the day other than 1 PM if you want my opinion. Bout the time Al Ciraldo left.

Assuming your post is true, and I don't doubt that it is as you are a poster of unimpeachable credibility, I think it took me the similar amount of time to become a sophomore and/or off probation. But to be fair, these kids probably are NOT dealing with quarter beer night at One-Eyed Jacks and the $1 pitchers of PBR at Moe's and Joe's either and $.50 cent cans of Budweiser at the V and free admission to the Purple Onion on Stewart Avenue with a college id on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. Let's see them smart boys deal with that and get out in under 6 years. Ain't happening.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We gotta quit recruiting the damn nerds and get some of them there country boys out of South and North Georgia (and by this I mean not anyplace that is now a suburb of the big city Atlanta cause that ain't North Georgia anymore, I am talking about the old North Georgia where people made moonshine and such and grew apples and where Deliverance was filmed and peple couldn't even read nor write too good but weren't afraid to knock heads with anyone and you could get the uncut twist tobaccer like King Bee, which, stil to this day, is the best there is imo (although Uncle Ned liked the regular Mail Pouch in the bag better) at any gas station, public school or country store or any other place that sold homemade pork rinds) who want to stay, have a good time and play FB. This stuff all started with them cell phones and video games and moving kickoffs to anytime in the day other than 1 PM if you want my opinion. Bout the time Al Ciraldo left.

Assuming your post is true, and I don't doubt that it is as you are a poster of unimpeachable credibility, I think it took me the similar amount of time to become a sophomore and/or off probation. But to be fair, these kids probably are NOT dealing with quarter beer night at One-Eyed Jacks and the $1 pitchers of PBR at Moe's and Joe's either and $.50 cent cans of Budweiser at the V and free admission to the Purple Onion on Stewart Avenue with a college id on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. Let's see them smart boys deal with that and get out in under 6 years. Ain't happening.
Good memories rekindled.
The tour of Carling as ME to get a free beer room buzz and then on to the cheap seats at Braves game. The stewardess and modeling schools in the big city were an i opener. Sharing a six pack at 1am on the I85 overpass to marval that the cars never stopped coming.
I had so little $ that i could not get too distracted!
Tech kept me busy

Now all upperclassmen students have tutoring seminars provided by large corporation who are early recruiting them.

I like it that gt lineman are generally very smart.

Will Bryan said it was tough to do both study and playfootball . He said he had good tutoring help and had done great in high school, but he had to work his Axx off. He was( like u and i ) damn proud to make it through.
At another time he referenced how easy gt was for P Braun. Got to meet parker s english tescher at the pregame walk up. Iirc she was an invite into the gtaa as a faculty guest. I asked her about P B and she said he is one of the most exceptional students she ever had taught.

I think key will be doing more hands on recruiting in ol to be sure we are getting naturally big people who will not be as injury prone.
Lets keep getting get smart big ones that love football like coach key and they will attract many more. Our future is thru the ol.

Last edited:

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
I entered in the summer of '68, lived in Towers dorm on the Interstate side, No AC, smelled the Varsity 24/7. Vietnam was raging, hippies were on 10th street. I was on probation after my 2nd quarter, had to talk my way back in by the spring of '69. Couldn't drop classes and still keep my student deferment. Had to have at least 12 hours per quarter to stay out of draft in '69, or '70 ? But still, despite the pressure, I learned a lot and fell in love with "Ma Tech". Sports , and FB in particular was my passion and distraction. I spent waaaay too much time watching practice at Rose Bowl - instead of studying. Somehow, by the grace of God, I got out in winter quarter of '73 a more mature and focused person.
So for over 50 years , I have lived and breathed all things Tech. Ask Mrs. Sheboygan about that. I ALMOST became a full time Badger Fan during TFG years, but the hiring of Key has renewed my passion. He is one of us ! He gets it ! He may not be wildly successful, but I know one thing. He will give it everything he has got for the school he loves.
That certain almost intangible connection to Tech will get the most a man/woman can give. Will it be enough ? Who knows at this point ? But I do know Key will not tolerate mediocrity from players or staff, and he will not be looking for his next step up the ladder. He doesn't want flash and distraction. He wants dedication and maximum effort. Discipline and hard work. It's a new day and I could not be more excited.
Amen!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I entered in the summer of '68, lived in Towers dorm on the Interstate side, No AC, smelled the Varsity 24/7. Vietnam was raging, hippies were on 10th street. I was on probation after my 2nd quarter, had to talk my way back in by the spring of '69. Couldn't drop classes and still keep my student deferment. Had to have at least 12 hours per quarter to stay out of draft in '69, or '70 ? But still, despite the pressure, I learned a lot and fell in love with "Ma Tech". Sports , and FB in particular was my passion and distraction. I spent waaaay too much time watching practice at Rose Bowl - instead of studying. Somehow, by the grace of God, I got out in winter quarter of '73 a more mature and focused person.
So for over 50 years , I have lived and breathed all things Tech. Ask Mrs. Sheboygan about that. I ALMOST became a full time Badger Fan during TFG years, but the hiring of Key has renewed my passion. He is one of us ! He gets it ! He may not be wildly successful, but I know one thing. He will give it everything he has got for the school he loves.
That certain almost intangible connection to Tech will get the most a man/woman can give. Will it be enough ? Who knows at this point ? But I do know Key will not tolerate mediocrity from players or staff, and he will not be looking for his next step up the ladder. He doesn't want flash and distraction. He wants dedication and maximum effort. Discipline and hard work. It's a new day and I could not be more excited.
I second the AMEN! Just wonder if offensively we end up with some type of offense along what the Fridge gave us. He played under that I believe. Multiple, complex, disciplined. He says he knows what he wants to do. Also we did not have a very good defense during that period, intentionally I believe, but that is for another time. Pyron has run the option which was a part of the multiple and the kid from A&M is athletic. I believe we will have a good defense under Key which would be a big step up from the GOL/Fridge era. Combined we could have bigtime winning program, might take a years to get there, so we'll just see what happens, that's one of the things that keeps us fans

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
🙂 I entered in the summer of '68, lived in Towers dorm on the Interstate side, No AC, smelled the Varsity 24/7. Vietnam was raging, hippies were on 10th street. I was on probation after my 2nd quarter, had to talk my way back in by the spring of '69. Couldn't drop classes and still keep my student deferment. Had to have at least 12 hours per quarter to stay out of draft in '69, or '70 ? But still, despite the pressure, I learned a lot and fell in love with "Ma Tech". Sports , and FB in particular was my passion and distraction. I spent waaaay too much time watching practice at Rose Bowl - instead of studying. Somehow, by the grace of God, I got out in winter quarter of '73 a more mature and focused person.
I was a couple of years behind you but can relate. Know exactly what you're describing in your first couple of sentences, especially "on the Interstate side". I too am hoping that Key will find success by leveraging his experiences at the Institute.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
not sure if anyone posted this

I dont ride with BSPN and I plan to keep that same energy here.

Buuuut ...

Permission Granted Allow GIF by Out of Office

200.gif

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank God Sheboygan for the Key hire 'cuz the last thing the world needs is another Badger fan! Merry Christmas to you and the Missus... Billd.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Saw a blBraves game when Hank hit a homerun and Bonds had a line drive that hit the fence.
Saw Gale Sayers destroy the falcons in the mud.

Heard Jerry Glanville( when he was lb de coach for Bud Carson) yell at Gt practice - "you hit or you won't play".

I bet i looked like a small town boy in the big city.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

Another former 4 star TE on the market, Pitt had already offered. From GA, any interest to bring him home?

I'm fine with four stars etc., but I' had rather have a real FB player no matter what the star rating 'cause It appears we have staff on hand that knows how to evaluate real players, a quality I have believed for a longtime is the best recruiting ability a coach can have, not that other qualities are not important because they are IMO. If Key and company can put winning together I believe we end up in a few years with the best talent we've had in a longtime. I'm basing that on just what I've seen already and yes I'm a little early for that statement, so it has some speculation in it.