Point Guard Play

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So there is an article on AJC talking about we need more production at the Point. Which got me to thinking about how great Point Guards were a tradition at Tech from Cremins and through Hewitt's tenure. However, this seems to be an area that is lacking under Gregory. Is this because we have been snakebitten lately or is Gregory just this bad of a coach of Point Guards?

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Brian Gregory has recruited a lot of top flight PGs. The only top flight PG he closed on, however, was a disaster and dismissed 2 seasons ago, leaving us in a bad spot since.

Heath does some things well, but doesn't consistently decide to actually do them. Travis shows some good skills also, but just hasn't been the same since his injury. I do believe they both work hard and they legitimately do facilitate well on a statistical basis. They just have some holes that leave us exposed at the position unfortunately.

Ultimately, I think it's both. Poole's time here has left us snakebit and J & J haven't developed enough to get other higher end recruits thinking this is where we wanna be.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
image.jpeg

image.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember talking to MtnWasp at the time about Solo and how he was a high risk, high reward recruit that would likely able allow GT under CBG to take off or to go in the tank. unfortunately it ended up being the latter.
I really wanted Monte Morris in that class, thought he was a better fit. Lost Josh Newkirk late in that cylce as well partially due to Solo.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember talking to MtnWasp at the time about Solo and how he was a high risk, high reward recruit that would likely able allow GT under CBG to take off or to go in the tank. unfortunately it ended up being the latter.
I really wanted Monte Morris in that class, thought he was a better fit. Lost Josh Newkirk late in that cylce as well partially due to Solo.

Other names we've recruited but missed on off the top of my head - James Robinson (Pitt), Tim Quarterman (LSU), Kris Dunn (Providence), Tyler Ennis (Cuse), Ryan Arcidiacono (Villanova).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Other names we've recruited but missed on off the top of my head - James Robinson (Pitt), Tim Quarterman (LSU), Kris Dunn (Providence), Tyler Ennis (Cuse), Ryan Arcidiacono (Villanova).

Jalen Adams
Madison Jones
Devonta Graham

Jalen is starting to come on for UConn, Jones had some troubles but was a fantastic defensive lead guard, and Graham is a top 3 player on a top 3 team.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Solo from my perspective was a no-go from the get-go.The tape had him doing more DUNKS than long shots or passes. What a joke.He couldn't shoot a lick nor pass and sure had few dunks.The coaches couldn't see that? With Monte Morris we might be in NCAAs this yr.What a dream.