Pnode to ODU as OC

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude knew his X’s and O’s, as was evident by some of our opening possessions. He had a good eye for what they would try to do to stop us and took advantage. His problem would usually be after they adjusted.

If we had a normal FG kicking situation, his offenses would have scored a bunch more, but ultimately masks what we saw: He could eat up chunks but never fully cash in.

I’m also not a big fan of running a system the way it seemed he did. We ran the same type of offense with Sims and Jahmyr as we did with Yates and Dontae.
With Paul, we had YEARS where we would run less triple, hell he ran that QB counter with TM for an entire season and we never saw it before or after.
Maybe we are spoiled from having 2 HOF OC, and an NFL OC in living memory, but to my eye we didn’t run the offense to suit our personnel’s strengths. Put Paul, Fridge, or Billy O with the same roster and we hit pay dirt a lot more often.

I also thought we had some tells or at least were incredibly predictable. Duke and Pitt last year stand out. Watch the play selection as you rewatch those. On every running play they had 8 in the box. Either we tipped our hand in game or they scouted us out, and neither option is optimal.

All in all, I think ODU is probably more commiserate with his talents. I wish him luck.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I thought Patenaude wasn't as bad as some GT fans thought. I also think he could have called a different game with guys like Sims/Yates/Graham...games more similar to the UNC game.

CGC is a defensive guy. He's had to study and coach against all kinds of offenses...especially coaching at places like Florida/Miss State/Alabama. He's a lot of things, but I don't think he's dumb. He can probably look at offensive tape on OCs and tell you what schemes and concepts that are sound and problems to deal with as a DC. Given the offenses Patenaude ran before he was OC for CGC, you would think guys like Sims/Yates/Graham were close to perfect for those offenses.

I think Patenaude will do well at ODU. I think he got the short end here...wish him the best. Will be interesting to see how the ODU offense will develop next season.
I agree about Patenaude. He has been a successful OC everywhere except at Tech. What this tells me is that he wasn't able to actually be the OC. I think he had orders from the top to emphasize passing more then he wanted; he's always been a run first guy. I suspect this was due to recruiting strategy (such as it is).

I also suspect that his ODU teams will be successful. All his other teams have been.

Update: Well, so much for those speculations! Pretty short shelf life.