Players Numbers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know we now allow players to have the same numbers as long as they are not on the field at the same time. Frankly I don't agree with this. Just pick a number that is not used. And yes I know it is part of recruiting these days. Along with the "Money Down." Now if there is a special number like 44 at the Cuse and maybe how 21 was here although I think number 20 is as significant, then I can see holding a number. But to my question.

I see that we have three number 7's on the team. Gowdy, Carter, and Walton. Now Walton is a DB but the other to are WRs, so they can never be in on the same play. Also we have a Git back Coach...Do we also have a number coach to make sure that we never have the same number on the field...just asking.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So I know we now allow players to have the same numbers as long as they are not on the field at the same time. Frankly I don't agree with this. Just pick a number that is not used. And yes I know it is part of recruiting these days. Along with the "Money Down." Now if there is a special number like 44 at the Cuse and maybe how 21 was here although I think number 20 is as significant, then I can see holding a number. But to my question.

I see that we have three number 7's on the team. Gowdy, Carter, and Walton. Now Walton is a DB but the other to are WRs, so they can never be in on the same play. Also we have a Git back Coach...Do we also have a number coach to make sure that we never have the same number on the field...just asking.
This isn't new, the NCAA has allowed the use of the same number for more than one player for decades.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

NM

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Educate yourself.

Educate yourself.

The Georgia Tech site still has him on the roster for this year....I had forgotten about this..

And for those of you stating derogatory comments about me....well you are lesser fans. Obviously so.... It is clear you really don't support Tech.

Oh, and the question remains....who monitors this, particularly for special teams.....I think teams need to go back to pick a damn number.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
If there is a time in the game where for example 2 players wearing number 7 are needed on the field together then once of them will slide on another Velcro jersey with a random number. This isn’t new at all.

If there is a time in the game where for example 2 players wearing number 7 are needed on the field together then once of them will slide on another Velcro jersey with a random number. This isn’t new at all.
Yes, I get that but here is an example. This year Juanyeh Thomas and Gibbs are both number 1. Lets say coaches decide we need our best return guys, who they are, back receiving kickoffs. So who wears the alternate? JT says, I am the upper classman no way. Gibbs says I am the star no way. Now I know this is hypothetical but in todays world of 18-20 year olds thinking they are all pro....it could happen. With what I see get's in the heads of these kids, Marcus Marshal comes to mind......

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I get that but here is an example. This year Juanyeh Thomas and Gibbs are both number 1. Lets say coaches decide we need our best return guys, who they are, back receiving kickoffs. So who wears the alternate? JT says, I am the upper classman no way. Gibbs says I am the star no way. Now I know this is hypothetical but in todays world of 18-20 year olds thinking they are all pro....it could happen. With what I see get's in the heads of these kids, Marcus Marshal comes to mind......
Sit down for this, but thankfully, our coach has built a culture where this won’t be a problem. Wow, who would have thought the solution to your hypothetical problem would be your own antagonist in said hypothetical.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

Might want to email the coaches. I’m sure they haven’t thought about any of this. You are def the first one to bring it up.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This has been a thing for years and this issue hasn't come up. I guess theoretically someone could throw a temper tantrum on the sideline if it comes up, but they could do that about literally anything. I think you're creating problems where there are none.

Sit down for this, but thankfully, our coach has built a culture where this won’t be a problem. Wow, who would have thought the solution to your hypothetical problem would be your own antagonist in said hypothetical.
Ok, so in this culture...who gives up the number?

Might want to email the coaches. I’m sure they haven’t thought about any of this. You are def the first one to bring it up.
I am just looking at what the game I love has become and the culture. "I don't get what I want or enough playing time so I am transferring" "I can't keep my single digit number because a Freshmen beat
me out, I am transferring" Welcome to the world we have created. Entitlement. I get it, it is no longer a game...and each year I lose more and more of what I used to love. I coach Junior high kids and it is at that level as well. Some one should tell all these kids...go to school get a degree, because pro football is not in the cards.

I can’t imagine caring about this
Well, to me it has become a reflection on the culture. Just like at Tech the students are voting to change the words of Rambling Wreck to make it more inclusive. BS crap. If I was a player I would want my own number and not share it. As I did when I played...number 74.

Lineman were smaller then...lol

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, to me it has become a reflection on the culture. Just like at Tech the students are voting to change the words of Rambling Wreck to make it more inclusive. BS crap. If I was a player I would want my own number and not share it. As I did when I played...number 74.

Lineman were smaller then...lol
BTW the vote failed

also wouldn’t want to share a number?

Status
Not open for further replies.