Player Poll: Yellow Jackets Discuss Expectations, Team Leaders, and Uniforms

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[figure="align: left"]
Team-Huddle-300x200.jpeg
[figcap]Photo credit to Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports[/figcap][/figure]

For media and fans alike, Georgia Tech's annual football media day provides the first opportunity to meet the newest version of the Yellow Jackets. GTSwarm was fortunate to attend for our fourth year running. In honor of our fourth year, we asked all 9 student-athletes the same four questions, and the following are the results of the poll.

In the eyes many, we saved the most critical question for last.

What are the team's expectations and goals for the 2017 season?

We always want to win, but you have to take it one week at a time. -Redshirt junior quarterback Matthew Jordan

We have a saying: "start at the dome, finish at the dome." Obviously, we start against Tennessee in the Mercedes-Benz stadium, and the National Championship this year is also at Mercedes-Benz stadium, so our sights are set on that National Championship Game. -Senior defensive end KeShun Freeman

We don't have any set goals, but of course you always want to get to the ACC Championship. As a team, you always want to win, but I would say winning our division and getting back to the ACC Championship. -Senior cornerback Lance Austin

Double digit wins, and just getting better overall. Getting better as a team is always our goal. -Junior quarterback TaQuon Marshall

I would say just winning a championship. We want to end up in Charlotte, and ultimately in the College Football Playoff. That's our team goal. -Junior linebacker Brant Mitchell

Building off of what we did last year. 9-4 is an OK season, but of course you want to be better. We want to make the playoff and the National Championship. -Redshirt junior A-Back Qua Searcy

I know we have the athletes and capabilities to go to the ACC Championship and the National Championship. You just have to have that willingness and belief. -Redshirt senior safety Corey Griffin

Win the ACC and the National Championship. -Redshirt senior wide receiver Ricky Jeune

Win the Coastal division, and keep it rolling. -Senior offensive tackle Andrew Marshall

Poll result: Just win, baby.

Which players have emerged as leaders of this year's team?

Definitely J.J. Green, Clinton Lynch, Qua Searcy. Andrew Marshall has taken leadership of the line and I'd say Will Bryan too. A lot of guys are stepping up, especially those who have been here for a while. -Matthew Jordan

Corey Griffin, Ricky Jeune, and Antonio Simmons are guys the team looks to as leaders. -KeShun Freeman

I'd definitely say Lawrence Austin came up as a leader, Corey Griffin, and Antonio Simmons for the defensive line. They've been asking everyone for their all, and they've been giving it their all too. -Lance Austin

The Austin twins, and Antonio Simmons on the defense. J.J. Green has been pretty vocal and a leader on the offense. -TaQuon Marshall

Vocally, I think myself this offseason. Leading by example is Corey Griffin and Lawrence Austin. -Brant Mitchell

I definitely feel like TaQuon Marshall did. He showed a lot of leadership. I would say myself, but I'm not a selfish guy. Also KeShun Freeman, he definitely picks everybody up and shows a lot of leadership. -Qua Searcy

In high school, I was more of a vocal leader than I am now. I came in and I took on watching people and we didn't really have any vocal leaders. I came in, and I saw that was what we really needed. Me, Lawrence Austin, Ricky Jeune, and Antonio Simmons, we took on that role to be more vocal because the team really needed that aspect and I'm comfortable with it. The team seems to cope well with it, and I appreciate them for it. -Corey Griffin

Myself, Corey Griffin, Lawrence Austin, KeShun Freeman, Antonio Simmons; all the seniors, really. -Ricky Jeune

We'll really identify it in camp. Corey Griffin, Ricky Jeune, and some different people are all trying to step up, and it'll sort itself out. -Andrew Marshall

Poll result: Corey Griffin (6), Antonio Simmons (5), Lawrence Austin (5), Ricky Jeune (4), Qua Searcy (DQ'd).

Which team/game are you most looking forward to playing?

Definitely Tennessee. Jacksonville State is another one; I've got high school teammates playing over there, so it'll be fun. -Matthew Jordan

There's the obvious rivalry we have with the University of Georgia, so I'm probably looking to that one the most. We haven't won at home yet, and this is my last year so I really want to win in Atlanta. -KeShun Freeman

Tennessee. You have to go game by game, and take it one week at a time. -Lance Austin

Besides Tennessee, I'd say UGA. -TaQuon Marshall

Tennessee. Being from there for me makes it special, but our eyes are focused on the game ahead of us, not looking down the road. -Brant Mitchell

I would say Tennessee because it's the first game. -Qua Searcy

Tennessee. -Corey Griffin

Tennessee. I don't like to jump ahead. -Ricky Jeune

We have to take each game in stride, so Tennessee; that's what we're focused on and then we have to keep on rolling from there. -Andrew Marshall

Poll result: Tennessee (8), Georgia (2), Jacksonville State (1). To end at the dome, we need that first one in the dome.

Which uniform supplier do you prefer?

Honestly, I like Adidas right now. -Matthew Jordan

I don't have a preference. -KeShun Freeman

I don't care. I'm not gonna wear it anyway. -Lance Austin

I don't really have one, but if I had to choose I guess it'd be between Under Armour or Adidas. -TaQuon Marshall

I'll say Nike. -Brant Mitchell

If I had to choose, I think I would pick Adidas. -Qua Searcy

Nike. -Corey Griffin

Nike, but I also like Adidas. -Ricky Jeune

Nike. -Andrew Marshall

Poll result: Nike (4), Adidas (3), Abstain (2), Under Armor (1). Oh, and Russell Athletic (0).

Multiple staff members contributed to this article.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprised Clemson didn't win "what Team most looking forward to playing"?
I get Tenn because it's game one, but getting to play national champs would be no 1 on my list.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. But also hard to do that in the summer in a cast
Plus (and this is speculation on my part) he'll need to solidify the starting position. When there is doubt as to who the starter is, even if he is clearly the leader, then I think that slows that process a bit. If this question was posed after MJ (or if someone else surprises) is named the starter, I think he'd pop up.

SlawDog

Banned
Does it bother anyone that Mathew Jordan was not mentioned as a team leader?
Could bother some but I remember the command of the huddle that he displayed against VT and the way the offense seemed attentive to everything he said as he guided them to a great win.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Could bother some but I remember the command of the huddle that he displayed against VT and the way the offense seemed attentive to everything he said as he guided them to a great win.

That is one thing I have really liked about MJ when he's been in game action. Seems to call the play quickly, be demonstrative in his checks once at the line.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
That is one thing I have really liked about MJ when he's been in game action. Seems to call the play quickly, be demonstrative in his checks once at the line.

He also decisively gets north/south pretty well. I am not the biggest MJ fanboy, but he made a hell of a play on the goal line in the BC game. It looked like a toss to Dedrick, but Dedrick didn't move. MJ held onto the ball and scored -- obviously not as legendary as the qua leap, but it was a similar instinctive reaction to get to the end zone.

Whoever is QB during our win against UT will certainly be a leader..