Player Leadership

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
We have two captains, Taquon and Brant Mitchell. I can understand how in the preseason how these two were chosen since both were rising seniors. Both are great young men and represent the Institute well. However...

Let's start with Brant. Just these last two weeks I've seen numerous runs up the middle with Mitchell no where to be found. When was the last time he had sacked the Qb or had a Qb hurry for that matter? He had 3 tackles today, with numerous runs up the middle. 3 tackles for the starting inside middle linebacker and "leader" of the defense!!!!! You get 3 tackles just by luck by playing lb against a pro style offense.

Taquon might be the worst starting Qb of the CPJ era. He was awesome against Tennessee last year and unfortunately this has given him a much longer leash than he deserves. There were numerous plays today where he didn't toss when he should have. He is supposed to be experienced for the position. Don't get me started on his passing. It's not his fault he's 180 lbs but that's why he would be an awesome AB. He shouldn't be running up the middle taking on 3 d lineman trying to drag them along. Tobias should be in the very least the short yardage Qb. Everyone was proposing to put in Lucas in passing downs, so why not this as well?

So what's my point? When your leaders aren't leading by doing, something has to give. These two have been on one winning team over 3 years. A winning culture is contagious (as is a losing one) . I think this years freshman class and last years have "it" especially in talent. I'm excited for the future. I would like see some of them as the leaders and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen? We lose most of our games?!?! Oh wait....

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
TaQuon has also admitted to ‘losing confidence’ after a few bad throws. That’s not the type of attitude you want out of a leader when things go bad. Any signs of head hanging from him is not going to help.

On another leadership note, Paul Johnson is pointing fingers and making too many excuses. How will his comments to the media be viewed by players? He’ll have opportunities this week to turn that finger around and I sure hope he does because I’d like to see some fortitude from the leaders of this team. It’s one thing to lose games but to lose confidence in the face of adversity is disheartening.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say this but I think this is a huge issue. Our offensive captain has never won a road game and Mitchell is really struggling. He needs to be benched for a few series. I also think this is how you lose the team so quick. The players saw how Oliver did at QB. I’m sure a lot just like us our wondering how the hell he didn’t get a chance yesterday. Lastly don’t get me started on our WR’s. Play the talent.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I thought TQM won the starting job last year over MJ based partly on his ability to throw the ball. I am not sure if he has lost all his confidence or what, but he may benefit from sitting a few series of the game while Oliver plays. I think TQM has lost his confidence, and doesn’t believe he can make the throws he is going to need to make to be successful. This isn’t all his fault because we are usually throwing under duress.

I am not saying bench him. I just think he may benefit from watching a series because he is getting overwhelmed in the game.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
The team played diffrent when Tobias was in.... Put Marshall back Aback and lety Tobias lead the team

I could see that, but could also see it being too late to convert TaQuon back to A-back and too early to know if Tobias is the answer. I think the Lucas Johnson injury is being felt right now. That’s really limited our options at the most important position on the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ must be afraid to let Tobias throw the ball. USF finally realize that and loaded up to stop him. We just don't seem to have a QB that is a good passer right now and a coach that doesn't want our backup to put the ball in the air. We were 40% for 66 yards on Saturday. Sorta like last year.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We have great young men on our football team and each one has a bright future when they graduate. Few will play on Sundays, but that is true of the universe of college football players. Still, we need LBs to step up and play like Pat Swilling, Lucius Sanford, Keith Brooking, keyanon Fox, Daryl Smith and so many other great Tech LBs. We need a Rock Perdoni to emerge on the DL, a QB to play like Joe Hamilton, Billy Lotheridge, Shawn Jones, Mike Kelly or Kim King. We need receivers like Calvin Johnson, Demarious Thomas and others. Every position can improve. The point is, our players, across the board, need to step up and play to their potential, unless, of course, they ARE playing up to their potential.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I'm all for letting Tobias start. I feel like I could throw the ball better than Marshall to be totally honest. Duck City.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It is painful watching TM throw. Not bashing him but he is not a QB. Even when given time to throw, it’s wobbly and slow.

It’s obvious what we are doing isn’t working (it’s obvious right?...) so something needs to change. Try anything. Put In Tobias. But at this point, it’s wishful thinking.

I realize some people will support the team no matter what. And I do too but damn dude I don’t wanna watch a poorly coached team any longer. Call it fair weather. I call it frustrated.

TM did not win the staring job over MJ. MJ was to be the starter but got hurt. MJ was the 2nd guy for 2 years behind JT5. When MJ is hurt CPJ moves TM up. Now we are kind of stuck. Not a knock on TM but he is not what MJ was supposed to be.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
TQM is an aback being forced to play QB. That isn't a slight on Marshall because he'd be a great aback, but he doesn't have the skills to be a QB.

The QB situation has been really odd outside of JT imo unless I am missing something. Going back to 2015, Matthew Jordan was moved to A back, and TQM was brought in as an A back. Ratliffe was already injured. Going into this we appeared to have two junior QBs and nobody else unless I am missing something. Some tried arguing before that getting experience at other positions helps but does anyone actually believe that? It appears that the plan was to ride JT and then go with a redshirt freshman, either Johnson or Jones. However, when Byerly got hurt they moved Jordan back to QB and the following spring Marshall. I get why bringing MJ back to be a backup but why Marshall? The only thing I can think of is nobody else looked good in practice so we needed to try something.

Overall just a weird situation to me.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We have two captains, Taquon and Brant Mitchell. I can understand how in the preseason how these two were chosen since both were rising seniors. Both are great young men and represent the Institute well. However...

Let's start with Brant. Just these last two weeks I've seen numerous runs up the middle with Mitchell no where to be found. When was the last time he had sacked the Qb or had a Qb hurry for that matter? He had 3 tackles today, with numerous runs up the middle. 3 tackles for the starting inside middle linebacker and "leader" of the defense!!!!! You get 3 tackles just by luck by playing lb against a pro style offense.

Taquon might be the worst starting Qb of the CPJ era. He was awesome against Tennessee last year and unfortunately this has given him a much longer leash than he deserves. There were numerous plays today where he didn't toss when he should have. He is supposed to be experienced for the position. Don't get me started on his passing. It's not his fault he's 180 lbs but that's why he would be an awesome AB. He shouldn't be running up the middle taking on 3 d lineman trying to drag them along. Tobias should be in the very least the short yardage Qb. Everyone was proposing to put in Lucas in passing downs, so why not this as well?

So what's my point? When your leaders aren't leading by doing, something has to give. These two have been on one winning team over 3 years. A winning culture is contagious (as is a losing one) . I think this years freshman class and last years have "it" especially in talent. I'm excited for the future. I would like see some of them as the leaders and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen? We lose most of our games?!?! Oh wait....

This is my argument as well.

TQM is an aback being forced to play QB. That isn't a slight on Marshall because he'd be a great aback, but he doesn't have the skills to be a QB.

The QB situation has been really odd outside of JT imo unless I am missing something. Going back to 2015, Matthew Jordan was moved to A back, and TQM was brought in as an A back. Ratliffe was already injured. Going into this we appeared to have two junior QBs and nobody else unless I am missing something. Some tried arguing before that getting experience at other positions helps but does anyone actually believe that? It appears that the plan was to ride JT and then go with a redshirt freshman, either Johnson or Jones. However, when Byerly got hurt they moved Jordan back to QB and the following spring Marshall. I get why bringing MJ back to be a backup but why Marshall? The only thing I can think of is nobody else looked good in practice so we needed to try something.

Overall just a weird situation to me.

Yeah, I agree. Here's what is weird...

It seems like the learning curve to play QB is very steep here. That in and of itself is frustrating because you see freshman studs go into a program and make impacts almost immediately, yet there is really no chance of that happening here.

But beyond that, we get talented guys into the program, and then start moving them around like they are chess pieces. We've moved them to BBack, ABack, Defensive Back, and now Linebacker (Campbell). And then sometimes, we move them to another position and then BACK to QB (Marshall). Due to the steep learning curve, don't we want to keep these guys at the position so that they can get the practice in? During the spring, they practice running our offense, and during the season they are probably running the scout team, but at least they get reps in throwing the ball. I'm not a big fan of being so cavalier with these guys.

Deleted member 2897

Speaking of WRs, I saw Malachi Carter and Steve Dolphus playing. So something is going on there.

In the last 18 months, we’ve lost our top 4 BBs and QBs 2,3 and 4. And QB1 is banged up. And we were playing 3rd string OL at times (I saw Conner Hansen st Center). Saw Zamari at CB (I thought he played really well BTW). I thought he was 4th string behind Simmons, Kerr, Tre Swilling, Askew, etc. something is up all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator: