Play of the Game

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just rewatching the first half and maybe I do not have enough football I.Q. to state this, but D.J. White coming from behind to force the fumble to take the ball, seven points and a possible momentum shift away from Pitt - won the game for us.

The setup was a typical GT frustration; do something great - then let something greater happen against us.

But no, not this time. You gotta finish, and D.J. did - on a play that could have easily been a "oh, well" play after Conner got through the secondary.

It was early, and the outcome would not be not certain until much later but to me that was the play of the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Another key play happened in the second half. It was 4th and 2 near midfield. We just nearly let the play clock expire when CPJ calls a time out. Bostic's carry for a first down was waved off, but I imagine we would have been flagged 5 yards had CPJ not called time out. Out of the time out, our OL imposes it's will over the Pitt DL in dominating fashion. Days bulls his way behind the surging blocks of Burden, Mason and Joe, all of whom destroyed their opposition.

I hope that play is a harbinger of things to come in the remaining games.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Another key play happened in the second half. It was 4th and 2 near midfield. We just nearly let the play clock expire when CPJ calls a time out. Bostic's carry for a first down was waved off, but I imagine we would have been flagged 5 yards had CPJ not called time out. Out of the time out, our OL imposes it's will over the Pitt DL in dominating fashion. Days bulls his way behind the surging blocks of Burden, Mason and Joe, all of whom destroyed their opposition.

I hope that play is a harbinger of things to come in the remaining games.

I agree, I was really worried until that conversion. Even though we didn't score on that series, I knew we had sucked the life out of them.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
You have to throw in Dre's scoop on third down. Big review win for us, but I think it was the right call. Great catch

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You have to throw in Dre's scoop on third down. Big review win for us, but I think it was the right call. Great catch
We had three huge reviews go in our favor: two fumbles where the guy could have easily been called down and that catch. The zebras were all over the place, they missed a bunch that hurt us, too, but those 3 calls definitely helped.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agree 100%. Without that who knows what happens with the game tied up. Heck maybe Pitt doesn't fumble the rest of the game, who knows.

Great thing is he showed determination and didn't give up on the play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We would've lost all those reviews if the refs called it the other way on the field. Could've been different but I think we would've still won.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
We would've lost all those reviews if the refs called it the other way on the field. Could've been different but I think we would've still won.

Yep. All of those reviews were the "ruling on the field stands" variety. There wasn't enough video evidence to overturn any of those three calls. It reminded me of the Duke game in reverse. Speaking of the Duke game, I blame that loss on you for bringing your pregnant Duke fan wife to that game :) I kid, I kid! Y'all seemed like a neat young couple. Just make sure you dress that child in GT apparel!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yep. All of those reviews were the "ruling on the field stands" variety. There wasn't enough video evidence to overturn any of those three calls. It reminded me of the Duke game in reverse. Speaking of the Duke game, I blame that loss on you for bringing your pregnant Duke fan wife to that game :) I kid, I kid! Y'all seemed like a neat young couple. Just make sure you dress that child in GT apparel!
Haha yea I was a bit pissed throughout that game. I'm hoping she was the bad juju and not me cause I'll be back next week but not with her :). And I'll be doing my best to ensure she grows up a GT fan. I've got in-laws already buying TN Vol crap.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Haha yea I was a bit pissed throughout that game. I'm hoping she was the bad juju and not me cause I'll be back next week but not with her :). And I'll be doing my best to ensure she grows up a GT fan. I've got in-laws already buying TN Vol crap.

I will be back for the UVA game as well, but I am bringing my son instead of my wife and we will probably be sitting in the upper west stands. Hopefully we will blow out at UVA and I will sneak down to the lower east stands to watch my daughter cheer in the 4th quarter. She was almost directly in front of me for the Duke game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think the DJ White play was a great play and important. I still think the 79 yard pass to Perkins was the play of the game. We needed to keep the gas pedal on, and the play was huge for momentum. The presence of JT and the play call by Johnson were perfect. Smelter' block down the sideline was phenomenal. Oh, and the ball carrier did a pretty superb job as well.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
yep,
I saw white start off to catch him but I didn't think he would reach conner before goal
that play completely frustrated pitt,cemented the fact it just wasn't their day

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DJ White's play was my favorite of the day. Someone forgot to tell him to give up. I agree with the comment about the momentum change. We knew the football gods were smiling on us; but only because god helps those who help themselves! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_those_who_help_themselves

There were many plays that were pivotal - had to be getting over 600 yards O and D getting 6 turnovers. Only the ST was quiet with Butker generally kicking the snot out of the ball on KOs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I agree and I want to take a moment to congratulate Erin Joe on his play yesterday. All the OL played well, but Joe had been roundly (and correctly) criticized for some untimely penalties in out recent games. Not only did he play flag free yesterday, but he had his most extensive stint on the field and he got better and better as the game went on. That's what you like to see: you leave the bad stuff behind, play your heart out, and help immensely with a terrific effort.

Thanks Erin! Keep it up!