Play Breakdown: ELON

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but can't get anything to work better than powerpoint for diagramming plays.

Anyways, I decided to take a more detailed look at our first touchdown against Elon. The reason I chose this play was because it was a base inside veer with an odd lineup. They lined up with 2 down lineman and their end was head up on our playside tackle and brought an 8th player up to the line outside of our tackle. Our playside A-back was up on the line, which may have affected the lineup.
upload_2013-11-9_8-41-25.png

On the inside veer, the backside tackle and guard scoop block, the center works to the linebackers, the playside guard blocks the first man (in this case blocks down the 1 tech), the playside tackle works inside the defensive end and up to the linebackers.
upload_2013-11-9_8-46-14.png

The playside A-back works to the second level and takes the first man. In this case, the tackle took the playside LB, so the AB took the Safety. The WRs stalk their respective CBs.
upload_2013-11-9_8-51-0.png

The read keys crashed down relatively quickly and Vad did a good job of making a quick pull-pitch. Summers did a great job of turning out his man and TD.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
They lined up with 2 down lineman and their end was head up on our playside tackle
Thanks for this. Very interesting. Did not notice that Elon did this. Did any other teams play like this? I imagine Elon did away with this as the game progressed.

Did you do any breaking down of the games where we couldn't run the option effectively?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Elon switched to three down lineman on the first play of the second quarter and were promptly rewarded with giving up a TD. They mixed it up from then on with anywhere between 5 and 2 down, but mostly out of the same general alignment with 8 in the box with 1 tech, end head up to the OT, 8th man near the line on the field side, and linebackers shaded to the boundary.

I need to look at the other games in more detail, but remember VT shooting gaps with run blitzes.