PJ Davis is a playmaker

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
We met his mom and dad at the fan day earlier year and discovered where he gets his work ethic. We have run into them a few times since then and they treat us like long lost friends. You can tell that his mom (Eulanda or Yolanda, not sure of the spelling) is very proud of her "Seabiscut" (his nickname in the family because he is under-sized like the race horse.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Agent 40, your next assignment should you choose to accept it (and we know you will) is yet another seek and destroy mission. The target is the next Herchael Walker, Chubb. Take him out with extreme prejudice at each and every opportunity. Use the next two weeks to build up the hate for him and everything he represents. Thank you for your service and God bless and God Speed. THWG

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He makes me nervous in space covering his assignments against the pass, but when it comes to diagnosing, pursuit, and finishing...probably the best we've had since...??? Gonna have to go back a long time to find that.

Really looking forward to him and Chubb battling it out.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
We met his mom and dad at the fan day earlier year and discovered where he gets his work ethic. We have run into them a few times since then and they treat us like long lost friends. You can tell that his mom (Eulanda or Yolanda, not sure of the spelling) is very proud of her "Seabiscut" (his nickname in the family because he is under-sized like the race horse.
I met his family last year before the VT Thursday night game. I was driving up from Tallahassee and ran into them at a gas station in Albany. His mother was wearing a Seabiscuit T shirt. They were very nice and yes, very proud of PJ.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Although I hope he doesn't draw a flag one game for it, I love the fire and excitement he plays with. You can tell he LIKES hitting people.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Davis might not have the prototypical size or have the best fundamentals but the guy plays crazy fast and he plays angry. I'd take 11 of him on defense every game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
not really, how about the last guy who wore #40?

Sorry, PJ's ability to diagnose and finish is at an elite level. I love Julian for his heart and how hard he played for us, but PJ Davis's instincts are incredible. His ability to read the play and react to it (diagnosing) is unbelievable...that's why you see all those plays from him behind the LOS. Another thing PJ does well is not getting caught in the wash and getting off blocks...something I worried about originally because of his size. Burnett was good player, but he did have a tendency to get caught in the wash. PJ is also a better athlete, with better quickness and speed than Burnett...Burnett tended to be stiff and guys were able to outrun him.

Not taking anything away from Julian, it's just PJ's skillset is that impressive.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, PJ's ability to diagnose and finish is at an elite level. I love Julian for his heart and how hard he played for us, but PJ Davis's instincts are incredible. His ability to read the play and react to it (diagnosing) is unbelievable...that's why you see all those plays from him behind the LOS. Another thing PJ does well is not getting caught in the wash and getting off blocks...something I worried about originally because of his size. Burnett was good player, but he did have a tendency to get caught in the wash. PJ is also a better athlete, with better quickness and speed than Burnett...Burnett tended to be stiff and guys were able to outrun him.

Not taking anything away from Julian, it's just PJ's skillset is that impressive.
I dunno, this seems to me to be a bit of "out of sight, out of mind." I think they are too close to favor one or the other quite as strongly as you are doing here. But after such a great game by Davis I can see the draw to do so.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I dunno, this seems to me to be a bit of "out of sight, out of mind." I think they are too close to favor one or the other quite as strongly as you are doing here. But after such a great game by Davis I can see the draw to do so.

I don't think so.

If you can, look at the VT game in 2011 (the infamous Attaochou penalty game). VT was picking on Julian all night...running at him forcing him to get off blocks to make plays, making him cover the TE...it was a little painful to watch. I've yet to see PJ have a game like that.

I'm not trying to denigrate Julian, I'm just saying PJ is that good. Like I said, just my opinion, but I can't recall a LB this good for GT in a while.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so.

If you can, look at the VT game in 2011 (the infamous Attaochou penalty game). VT was picking on Julian all night...running at him forcing him to get off blocks to make plays, making him cover the TE...it was a little painful to watch. I've yet to see PJ have a game like that.

I'm not trying to denigrate Julian, I'm just saying PJ is that good. Like I said, just my opinion, but I can't recall a LB this good for GT in a while.
PJ had a terrible game this year as well. Slipping my mind actually which one it was . . . maybe GSU. Oh yes, definitely, I remember in the stands actually wanting him pulled because he was getting burnt repeatedly. He has both looked better in general but also I think he has been put in much better position schematically since then.

I wish I could say I believed Julian was always being put in the best position schematically but given how terribly difficult it was to convince Groh to play the play-makers and stop checking the players daily on some height-by-position measurement chart he had in one of his big notebooks, I can't assume Burnett was always put in the best positions to succeed.

I know you aren't knocking Burnett, I am just resisting agreeing that the gulf between the two talent and effort-wise is as clear as you see it. Maybe in another year of games I will agree with you. :)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
As I 've said before ,he is easily the most "natural" tackler on the team.Gets to right spot usually and hardly EVER misses. As he gets stronger,he will be able to shed the big OLs that come right as him better.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yeah PJ is a baller but a little too one-dimensional for my liking. For someone his size he doesn't play well in space. Luckily for us, he has another offseason to improve on that and become a complete LB