@Pitt Saturday 7:00 pm

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice win! Controlled the game from the start. That’s the team I thought we were going to see in the second half of the season. Defense, Defense, Defense…we smothered them and played GT ball.

I’m proud of Rodney. That kid has tuned out all the haters (there’s been a bunch of them) and kept getting better. I’d love to see where he would have been if he hadn’t missed a month with an ankle injury. His aggressiveness has been dialed up lately. He tried dunking on everybody on that one play.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not shown yet but I expect the biggest difference was fast break points

Wish we had pushed the ball this hard all year
I think the reason we got more transition points tonight than normal was due to the defense.

We turned them over and scored points off of them tonight. That’s GT basketball.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Rodney with 33 minutes!
Screenshot_20220219-221505.jpg

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Howard is coming on strong at the end of the year. Deebo is going to be good. Feel Smith is making progress. Kelly will be good too. Will have to hit the portal hard. Seems like Saba will not be part of the plan (not sure what’s going on there).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am really happy for the win against Pitt but even happier for Howard. Something has switched on with him. Maybe improved confidence or the coaches told him not to hold back. He didn't look like the same player before the last couple of games. He can make a difference if he can avoid unnecessary fouls and stay on the floor. This team needs a competent center.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
A little OT somewhat, but Jay Bilas absolutely **** on officiating across the nation this week on espn. Not sure if any of watched the Oregon Arizona game last night but he was very very vocal about it during the live telecast. If coaches won’t call the piss poor job, I’m glad to see someone with a voice making a point on it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Howard has played fairly well the last few games (minus the foul issues), it's just that GT lost the last two heading into the Pitt game so we're more focused on the losses than the bright side.

Hopefully, the last few games are an indication of Howard's new standard baseline.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We played a complete game. Guard rebounding, transition baskets, set pieces executed well, points in the paint, a center who went to the rim with authority, smothering zone defense and 90%+ from the charity stripe.

Would love to go on a run in the ACCT and reclaim the title (though it I realize it’s unlikely). Sucks we have to play the extra game.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great team win! It is not easy to win on the road in the ACC, and Pitt has some good players. We played a really good game all-around. (Where was this effort in the last game?) A few notes:

-Lots of contributions from everybody. Moore and Sturdy both had solid games, and Deebo hit his shots, too. Moore hit a huge 3. Devoe did his usual thing, but added a helpful 6 rebounds and 3 assists.
-RODNEY! Maybe we are getting a glimpse of what Reveno/Pastner saw in him that made them not dip into the transfer pool (or maybe they dipped in and didn't catch anything...). His last few games have been really good. He has really improved around the basket, and I love how he goes strong to the rim. He almost threw one down that would have been....epic. We were +14 with him on the court.
-Usher had a great game. 10 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. I'll take a player control foul or two if he does that every game. :)
-One of the big keys in this one was the fast break points. We were looking to turn rebounds and TOs into quick points and it really helped our offense. We had 17 points from fast breaks to their 4. Wow!
-The meltdown at the end felt inevitable. We were playing on the road and we all knew it was coming. It didn't help that they were in the bonus and get to take free throws every time down the court, but it is what it is. We held on.
-18 assists (and just 11 TOs!) on 26 made baskets. When we pass well and find the open man (and hit the shots), we do well.
-The zone looked pretty good, and I felt like we changed to man when we needed to. Even when Pitt was hitting every corner 3, the zone was still a net-positive.

Let's all hug the win and enjoy it! Maybe this will finally start the season-ending swing that we have all been waiting for. Win or lose, I'll keep cheering. Go Jackets!