Pitt replay scouting report

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why are 51 and 40 covering the same gap in that pic?
Actually the TE is blocking the right end rusher and we have 2 guys watching him block.

Some how we think we should look at him AND NOT BE looking in backfield.

If we see this at Pitt, I am ready to put 8 near the line and send 4,5,6,7,or 8 as selected by random number generator.

They needed to score 10 and this defense style let them score 21 in one quarter.

Fingers crossed for major improvement!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We've got some really interesting stunts, but this one looks like the front 7 aren't even on the same two pages--looks more like 3 different calls being executed.

Advanced S&P+ Stat profiles are out. You can navigate to Georgia Tech or Pitt.

GT:
#21 Offense
#62 Defense
#91 Special Teams (amazingly not as bad as you'd guess)
#26 Overall

Weak spot on defense--rushing defense--and those QB runs killed us last week. Giving up too many points and too many conversions.

Pitt:
#88 Offense
#66 Defense
#127 Special Teams (how can they be ranked lower than us?)
#75 Overall

On offense, they move the ball and don't get points (like the Atlanta Falcons). On Defense, they get in the backfield a little more than we do, but they give up rushing first downs at about the same rate. They're bad on Field Goals and bad on kickoff returns. Crossing fingers these numbers aren't all about Penn State.

Penn had a lot to do with it but not being able to handle a wet snap on STs was the killer for Pitt.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That picture kinda tells me everything about 51’s natural instinct as a linebacker, PJ Davis would’ve stuffed that run

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
From the CPJ interviews yesterday and today it sounds like players on our defense we're trying to do too much and ended up playing out of the system and leaving their gaps open. Gotta do a better job this week.
Hopefully someone knowledgeable can tell me. Where is the line drawn between "run to the ball" and "playing within the system"? Is this more for something after the play has developed or is it fundamental to the defense? It seems like it would be open to exploitation by misdirection.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I want to make a comment on the photo that seems to really make brandt look bad.
We don't know what the defense was called.

He could have called for the nt and l defense end to plug the middle and then curry was to run where he did and see a gap.

What is clear(imo) is with these young guys we need to get some up on the line and get after it. At least we could pressure the qb.