Pitt Game Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Our record isn't representative of our talent but it is representative of our coaching

Imho both instances are strongly represented. We don't have a player that would start on most ACC teams. MGH is our best player and we like him but he is truthfully just a nice role player for good programs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful not to correlate beating Syracuse last year, a team that finished 3-6, with our chances of beating this year's UVA team. UVA is legit and deserving of their ranking.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Be careful not to correlate beating Syracuse last year, a team that finished 3-6, with our chances of beating this year's UVA team. UVA is legit and deserving of their ranking.

That was more of a joke given our wins over syracuse and Miami the past two seasons. I have virtually no confidence about this game

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looked at stats ,didn't see game.
Even with decent shooting and winning in REBs again,the stat that jumps out is Asst/TOs--we were below even and they were 17 assts with 6 TOs. Every game ,some aspect kills us.

also--Bolden played only 7mins and had no effect,was he hurt --after shooting well vs ND.?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
dtm is correct, we did have some good passes too. The one to Corey was great, too bad the CH got to far under the basket to make the easy layup.

regarding my comment on poor passing, I guess the "steals' 20+ ft from the basket on "weak" passes came to mind plus that one that went over Q's head during the last few minute. Remember seeing a stat that during our first 22 possessions in the 2nd half:
First 11 possessions, we had 1 turnover.
Next 11 possessions, we had 6 turnovers.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish someone would ask coach about the mental toughness of his teams. We had a pretty significant turnover of players this year and yet see the same pattern as previous few of just losing the plot for several minutes at a time and not being able to do anything on set plays after timeouts.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are not a bunch of bad basketball players, but we are not a good team. It is frustrating to see us make really wonderful plays, they go for minutes and not do anything a coach would want to see. We have some players, but the sum is much less than the parts. Who is responsible for that?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
i don't understand why we fouled them with 1 minute left in the game and down by 3.
The hope ( low possibility, for sure) is that their poor FT shooting vs. our making buckets will generate a short term advantage. Lots of teams use this tactic. It usually fails.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Can't we rent a retired coach to come in and fix this? What would it cost, $5k a day plus expenses?

If I was M Bob I'd rent a replacement for the rest of the season. Pay him straight up then any additional ticket sales split 50-50 with the rent-a-coach.

C'mon there has to be someone in between jobs, just got out of hospital or who retired early and realized it was a mistake. Just need someone for 3 damn months while you find a permanent replacement.

Other option is auction off coach for a game. Who ever wins coaches that game. Generate some cash that way. Maybe have 1 game where a student coaches. Sit the clueless one t the end of the bench and tell him to hand out towels and water bottles during TOs.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There is no doubt CBG has given it his all during his time here. He was just in over his head from the beginning. Some of the blame can be placed directly on the GTAA. He never had a chance, hes not an ACC coach. Anyone who knows basketball or ever watched Dayton play knew that. Of course, I wanted Mooney and that would have turned out similarly I beleive.

Anyways, point being, you can't crucify CBG like what was stated above. He needs to finish the season and go out with some dignity. A new coach halfway through won't get us into the tournament or make a difference in the 2015 recruiting class. We kept CPH 3 years too long, we can del with CBG for the next 3 months.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is no doubt CBG has given it his all during his time here. He was just in over his head from the beginning. Some of the blame can be placed directly on the GTAA. He never had a chance, hes not an ACC coach. Anyone who knows basketball or ever watched Dayton play knew that. Of course, I wanted Mooney and that would have turned out similarly I beleive.

Anyways, point being, you can't crucify CBG like what was stated above. He needs to finish the season and go out with some dignity. A new coach halfway through won't get us into the tournament or make a difference in the 2015 recruiting class. We kept CPH 3 years too long, we can del with CBG for the next 3 months.
Note that one of the biggest BG detractors has not & does not disrespect BG. This is a good reminder for everyone.